Preview Round 17, 2019: Hawthorn v Fremantle, 13 July 2019, 2.10pm @ York Park featuring the return of Grant Birchall

Status
Not open for further replies.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Let’s be clear Nash is not playing the shoey role of the anchor role who has the ball kicked on top of his head at every opportunity (as a prime target 20-30m from goal), takes on 2-3 defenders at most contests (including best tall defender) and expected to do a heap of body work to let other forwards get free.

The only thing that is similar is both dropping marks / bringing ball to ground.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Logue got dropped
interesting, looks like Nyhuis will replace him down back, no clue who tf that is.

Sean Darcy in for Sandy's a big in for them. That kid's a very strong stoppage ruckman, probably lacks the full tank and around the ground work though.

Anyway, Nash/Lewis playing on Hamling/Ryan will still be a big challenge for those 2.

badgrill

Premiership Player
Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Giant Trump like hands, bigger than Stewie Loewe

I do think when Birchall and Scrimshaw are both playing together at some stage that there's no need anymore for Burgoyne and Impey to be playing in defense. Ideally it should be Burgoyne playing as a half forward/midfielder with Impey as a small forward. This will finally give us an attacking forward half setup.

Slightly off topic but has Wingard returned through the VFL at any stage this year? Can't find where to see if he has played any games at Box Hill this year.

Wingard hasn't played for Box Hill this year.

I do think when Birchall and Scrimshaw are both playing together at some stage that there's no need anymore for Burgoyne and Impey to be playing in defense. Ideally it should be Burgoyne playing as a half forward/midfielder with Impey as a small forward. This will finally give us an attacking forward half setup.
We need Impey’s run from defence.

Skrillex, Sicily & Birchall (even Hardwick) can rebound if they have space & can all kick, but Impey can break tackles & break lines with his pace.

I reckon he has more value to us around/behind the ball, despite the good he may do as a small/pressure forward.

Nick the Pig

Team Captain
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We need Impey’s run from defence.

Skrillex, Sicily & Birchall (even Hardwick) can rebound if they have space & can all kick, but Impey can break tackles & break lines with his pace.

I reckon he has more value to us around/behind the ball, despite the good he may do as a small/pressure forward.
Spot in with this. Impey is having by far his best season to date and still improving as the season goes on. I wouldn't tinker with it by shifting him forward. West Coast were tagging him two weeks ago to limit his carry from defense, instead of choosing to tag the likes of JOM.

Maybe play the odd burst impact forward but otherwise let him keep developing into what must be becoming close to an AA squad defender.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
good to see Birchall back and cant wait to see Wingard play good footy.

in Tassie we should have a slight advantage, Clarko is making the team play the defensive style we have played at times over the Clarko period, i remember us coping flak for it when we did it prior to our team getting right(media would write articles about it when Ross Lyons Saints or Paul Roos Swans were doing the same thing but got raved about in the corrupt media), it seems to be a strategy when the list isnt as strong as we would like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back