Review Round 17, 2019 - Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
interesting Walker did not clunk any marks.. Although was never out marked, used his body well gave out a few handballs.
So sort of what McStay does although McStay does better.
Down back he sort of does what Harris does although Harris does better.
You have to feel for Josh he seems to be happy, I hope we give him another contract as we will not always be this injury free.
He does seem to give it the best he can

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There is a greater calmness when under pressure now that wasn’t obvious last year. Our players look like they know their roles and know how best to support their teammates.

We look like a better team now because everyone is increasingly putting the team first. Players seem to be putting the team ego above their own ego. They want to do the team things and it is epitomised by our pressure acts.

Shepherding is an amazing thing that before this year, we rarely saw in our team. It’s such a simple task and it frustrated me watching us in previous years when players would have a 2 on 1 and have the spare player just stand there and do nothing. I’m so happy that we are doing these one percenters now, it shows that we are unselfish and a team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
One of our best wins in the past decade. Loved every second of it. Neale had an underrated game with 17 contested possessions and 10 clearances. Lyons, Zorko and Robinson demolished the Port mids. Andrews, Gardiner, Rich and Lester as a collective unit are elite right now. Keays played his role well and it is so exciting watching Charlie and Linc starring up forward.

P.S. I just want to give extra credit to Zorko. He is an absolute superstar.

jonnobackpocket

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Harris Andrews will never get enough credit, I love that dude. As far as Dermot goes it really is annoying listening to him but in the cold light if day who gives a fat rats what he says or thinks.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
The word is that Stu could wear JL pinching his snacks.

It was the side of beef he had lined up for dinner disappearing that was the final straw.
The thing that I love about Stewie Dew is that he is such an every man that pulls outrageously good looking women. I’m honestly a fan of his, the one thing I still scratch my head about is that he ruled himself out of the Lions role only to throw his hat in the ring for the Suns role 12 months later.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
His scream of impotent rage at the final siren after being dominated by Harris was the second best thing to happen yesterday (behind the actual win of course).

To think some of us wanted Dixon before he moved to Port. Not sure if he was ever seriously considered but if so massive bullet dodged.

Lmao massive grain of salt but Tom Morris is alleging that Port leaked to us (Lachie specifically) 4/5 days ago that Sutcliffe would be tagging him for intimidation purposes and instead we had a full week to prepare.
So not only was their gameplan to target 1 of 22 players entirely s**t, they openly gave that intel to us in advance? That's just delicious.

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Adams still hasn’t convinced me. I know his reputation is he’s best 22 but he hasn’t shown anything like being up to pace in the ones yet.

Early days I know, but I don’t want a Rayner situation (though Rayner is having more impact) where we carry him waiting for him to click. Would rather he spent time in the twos and comes back making an impact.
No need to worry. Adams will improve within the next couple of games and be a real asset. His development will be fast tracked in the ones as playing in the backs for our neafl team is less strenuous than our practice runs. A year out is a long time and I thought he was cleaner on Sunday compared with week before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, thanks Ollie!

Former Fremantle teammate Cameron Sutcliffe is Port’s man to run with Lion Lachie Neale
Lincoln MooreThe Advertiser
Friday, 12 July 2019 5:29PM

Port Adelaide co-captain Ollie Wines said mid-season recruit Cameron Sutcliffe is likely to get the job of tagging gun Brisbane midfielder Lachie Neale at Adelaide Oval on Sunday.

Paywall and stuff, but the juicy bit is that quote anyway.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The thing that I love about Stewie Dew is that he is such an every man that pulls outrageously good looking women. I’m honestly a fan of his, the one thing I still scratch my head about is that he ruled himself out of the Lions role only to throw his hat in the ring for the Suns role 12 months later.

I agree with this. He held out on (didn't even apply for) about 5 jobs because he was waiting for the perfect opportunity. Then he jumped at there GC job? really strange stuff. He didn't go for our job because he believed it was a lame duck race - he was convinced the AFL had their people picked in advance of the interview process.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fact is - He fell out of favour with the coach due to his apparent lack of leg speed and that they felt he didn't defend hard enough (no two way running).

I understand that his foot skills aren't always reliable, but he definitely defends well and he has clean hands and hits the scoreboard.
Having watched the Suns on the weekend, they could certainly do with a Lyons (or two).
They have Hanley that just wants to evade everyone and gets tackled and players like Weller on huge $$ that butchers the ball. Yet we have Lyons, who not only wins his own footy and plays to his limitations but also has great leadership skills.

Pick 2 for Weller is one of the worst trades ever. Suns could have Stephenson roaming around in their forward line.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Caro's Arrow skewered Dermott's rambling commentary from yesterday (and pointed out that big man Charlie Dixon didn't turn up).

Derm had a shocker .

I just watched the replay .

After the first 10 minutes of the Port bully boys buffeting, bashing and manhandling Lachie, Derm reckoned that it was a "man's game" and crapped on about how Lachie should come back on to show his team mates........... something ....something....blah blah

And then something about "if big Charlie (Dixon, ) joins in, then look out Lachie"

Then later, when Zorko remonstrated with Dixon

"Would't do that Dayne........big Charlie might just rupture a windpipe with a stray elbow"

Seriously Neanderthal stuff form Derm.

I've heard Derm on SEN and other media admitting to some bad s**t in his playing days and basically saying there's no place for the sort of stuff he dished out (and received) in modern footy and I've actually admired him for his candour in this regard.

Then he suddenly goes all feral and not only bags out our best player but starts barracking for Dixon who did little but bellow and pull angry faces for the entire match.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Derm had a shocker .

I just watched the replay .

After the first 10 minutes of the Port bully boys buffeting, bashing and manhandling Lachie, Derm reckoned that it was a "man's game" and crapped on about how Lachie should come back on to show his team mates........... something ....something....blah blah

And then something about "if big Charlie (Dixon, ) joins in, then look out Lachie"

Then later, when Zorko remonstrated with Dixon

"Would't do that Dayne........big Charlie might just rupture a windpipe with a stray elbow"

Seriously Neanderthal stuff form Derm.

I've heard Derm on SEN and other media admitting to some bad s**t in his playing days and basically saying there's no place for the sort of stuff he dished out (and received) in modern footy and I've actually admired him for his candour in this regard.

Then he suddenly goes all feral and not only bags out our best player but starts barracking for Dixon who did little but bellow and pull angry faces for the entire match.
All I can think is that Derm lost his head very early in the call and he never recovered. He’s actually a lot better than the crap he was spewing on Sunday.

Dermie commentated our game v Port last year. Ran into him at the airport and he started randomly chatting to me. He said he has a soft spot for our boys and thought we’d do really well this year. Wasn’t wrong.
20 years ago a close relation of Dermie backed into a work colleague with car and Dermie came out screaming not our fault..he was wrong

I would’ve taken Dixon back when he was leaving Gold Coast, and would take him now if he was a couple years younger. He’s a talented player.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I must admit there was a small window when I figured it was a good idea but when I heard he was on the Cab Sav a night before a game I thought this is what I would do and instantly shelved entertaining it

To think some of us wanted Dixon before he moved to Port. Not sure if he was ever seriously considered but if so massive bullet dodged.
Well he wouldn't have to play on Andrews or Gardiner at any point, so that's a tick in favour.

Back