Review Round 17, 2019 - Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A massive win down, time to reset for another game next week at the Gabbatoir. Really hard to not expect a percentage booster against 12th placed North now, but especially so if the footy gods smile upon us and the Pies go down to GWS after their flop this week - we very well could even be looking at finishing round 18 in 2nd place.
Lions: One week at a time please . The Roos can be a formidable outfit and whilst we're confident and focused we don't need the whole world telling us how good we are.
What at @matinson said. I'll be taking any win - the minute we start walking into matches expecting big wins is when it will start falling apart. We'll be coming off 2 big games on the road, and north play a very physical game.
As an UN-knowledgeable footy watcher, what exactly can Fages do to tactically beat that scenario?

Is it a change of set-up around the ball? Change of positions? Just tell Lachie to take it?

Or is what Leigh talking about more psychological, giving the Lions the knowledge they will basically be a man up so be proactive etc etc.

Hopefully in the footy shows this week someone may discuss it with some knowledge or depth, its pretty interesting!
they did. Watch on the couch.

Harris Andrews will never get enough credit, I love that dude. As far as Dermot goes it really is annoying listening to him but in the cold light if day who gives a fat rats what he says or thinks.
Agree 100% about Harris. If you want an example of a player leading the way in a quality/winning culture, look no further than Harris Andrews...….plus....he's a born and bred Queenslander which isn't recognised enough in my opinion. Go Harris. Go Lions.

I think they play Adams now to end of the year as we need him for finals. He is not going to get the contests playing in the NEAFL to build his match fitness.
Did a few things on Sunday got in the right spots.
This is the problem we have with the NEAFL and I gather why Rayner and McStay not dropped when they had form slumps.

I think they play Adams now to end of the year as we need him for finals. He is not going to get the contests playing in the NEAFL to build his match fitness.
Did a few things on Sunday got in the right spots.
This is the problem we have with the NEAFL and I gather why Rayner and McStay not dropped when they had form slumps.
Why do we need him for finals? Which player does he need to replace in the 22 we have?

Seems like a crock of s**t that it was "football espionage". It had been the rhetoric all week and a tactic port had a track record of using enough to consider planning for. Either they were going to do what they said they were, or they were playing mind games to try to affect our set ups to exploit our moves to neutralise the implied tactic. Turned out it was one till quarter time and the other for the next three and neither tactic was good enough to win against our disciplined and flexible game style at the moment.

The last 2 weeks he has been in the 22!
So now it’s up to someone to dislodge him?
Will that be Hodge this week? Time will tell!
There is no doubt that his performances thus far hasn't justified his place in the 22 (same as others mentioned in past posts) but the coaching staff must have trust in him longer term. I am interested to hear from BF posters as to why we need him for finals.

There is no doubt that his performances thus far hasn't justified his place in the 22 (same as others mentioned in past posts) but the coaching staff must have trust in him longer term. I am interested to hear from BF posters as to why we need him for finals.

I think it depends on balance. He’s stronger and quicker than Gardiner, Lester and Hodge. He would’ve been a much better matchup for Himmelberg against GWS than Lester had he been in form.

This coming week he’d be a good matchup for Ziebell when he’s forward. Andrews to Brown, Gardiner to Larkey, Lester to Wood and Answerth to Zurhaar.

Wasn't the word when Adams was recruited that one of the reasons he came was he wanted more time forward? Also I don't think he wanted to be playing on the big forwards.

IIRC he said part of our interest in him was his flexibility

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder it that was Cam Sutcliffe himself who told Lachie that he was coming for him?
Reading between the lines it did have a whiff of that, but it's not like it would've been unexpected.

I feel a little sorry for Sutcliffe. Picked up in the mid-season draft and trying to make a go of his second chance at AFL level. Then he gets brought in to tag his best mate, from my memory of his time at Freo I don't think he had ever tagged before. It appears to be a psychological move, then the comment pregame by Hinkley.....Mmmm well i'm just glad the Lions don't operate in the same manner.

To rub salt into the wounds I expect Sutcliffe will be playing SANFL on the weekend.

Hinkley loves an us against them mentality...in the end he might be doing that within his own player group.

I think a measure of a good team is it’s ability to protect its good players and make space for one another. Fringe players playing for their place in a poor side don’t make sacrifices. Teams learning cohesion and structure cannot protect their ball winners. Poor Zorko and Rich copped an absolute hiding in years gone by because they got no protection. Even as this season has progressed our ability to decide at the setup who gets the ball and who gets protected has evolved into something systematic. It was really apparent in the GWS game. Their talent is undeniable but they don’t do the gritty stuff. We simply did it better and I think it was better again against the Power. Fagan is the man.

Lucky enough to get to attend on Sunday. Must say, the pre game team at PA should take a bow. The Never Tear Us Apart bit is only the end of a fantastic 5 or 10min build up to the match. I hope to god we take a look at what they do because our grey pyjama party dance troupe is embarrassing in comparison.

After all that frenzied build up, it was quite funny to see the speed with which the numerous ferals in the crowd started ‘tearing’ shreds into their own players, coaches and fellow supporters. Great day!

One of our best wins in the past decade. Loved every second of it. Neale had an underrated game with 17 contested possessions and 10 clearances. Lyons, Zorko and Robinson demolished the Port mids. Andrews, Gardiner, Rich and Lester as a collective unit are elite right now. Keays played his role well and it is so exciting watching Charlie and Linc starring up forward.

P.S. I just want to give extra credit to Zorko. He is an absolute superstar.
Can’t wait for Zorks pre-retirement stint in the forward line. He will cause so much pain. Has anyone ever won the Brownlow from the forward pocket!?!

I'm a massive non-fan of them doing that INXS shtick. It makes me giggle to think of that song of solidarity, then look at the talk of sacking of hinkley, the fans leaving the ground early.

They should be using the Tom Jones ft. Natalie Imbruglia version instead

That pre-game ritual is as fake as Hinkley's faux toughness routine.

Can’t wait for Zorks pre-retirement stint in the forward line. He will cause so much pain. Has anyone ever won the Brownlow from the forward pocket!?!

Is there anyone more dangerous at kicking goals from throw ins?

Wasn't the word when Adams was recruited that one of the reasons he came was he wanted more time forward? Also I don't think he wanted to be playing on the big forwards.
I think it was more he didn't want to take the number 1 forward each week, he's more suited to the 2nd or 3rd rated guy, with stints up forward.
Pretty simple really, IMO Adams in near enough to his best form makes us a better side. Very quick and agile for his size although he is not as big as he looks (192cm 93kg) as opposed to Darcy Gardiner (193cm 92kg) and Ryan Lester (192cm 85kg), he's a similar player to Gardiner in that he can play on most types, gives us great flexibility with our match ups.

I feel a little sorry for Sutcliffe. Picked up in the mid-season draft and trying to make a go of his second chance at AFL level. Then he gets brought in to tag his best mate, from my memory of his time at Freo I don't think he had ever tagged before. It appears to be a psychological move, then the comment pregame by Hinkley.....Mmmm well i'm just glad the Lions don't operate in the same manner.

To rub salt into the wounds I expect Sutcliffe will be playing SANFL on the weekend.

Hinkley loves an us against them mentality...in the end he might be doing that within his own player group.

If Sutcliffe is sent back to the twos it will show how much of an arse Hinkley is. Really rotten to exploit personal relationships

I'm a massive non-fan of them doing that INXS shtick. It makes me giggle to think of that song of solidarity, then look at the talk of sacking of hinkley, the fans leaving the ground early.

They should be using the Tom Jones ft. Natalie Imbruglia version instead

Crowd should have started singing "they will never ever kick us a goal" in the first quarter.

Back