Review Round 17, 2019 - Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it was more he didn't want to take the number 1 forward each week, he's more suited to the 2nd or 3rd rated guy, with stints up forward.

Pretty simple really, IMO Adams in near enough to his best form makes us a better side. Very quick and agile for his size although he is not as big as he looks (192cm 93kg) as opposed to Darcy Gardiner (193cm 92kg) and Ryan Lester (192cm 85kg), he's a similar player to Gardiner in that he can play on most types, gives us great flexibility with our match ups.
Adams wont be playing home and away games let alone finals if his form doesn't improve in the next 2-3 games. I understand that they drafted him specifically to fill a role in the best 22, but I cant see them persisting like they have with Rayner for too much longer if he doesn't start contributing more.

Is there anyone more dangerous at kicking goals from throw ins?

He's got a fantastic sense of where the goals are, regardless of where he is or how balanced he is.

Funnily enough Lyons shows similar traits, which is unusual given the rest of his package doesn't exactly scream "dangerous around goals".

so the plan to belt lockie, all the coach or did our friend vossey form part of the planning , either way it back fired

not a good coaching audition with now another job up for grabs

Adams wont be playing home and away games let alone finals if his form doesn't improve in the next 2-3 games. I understand that they drafted him specifically to fill a role in the best 22, but I cant see them persisting like they have with Rayner for too much longer if he doesn't start contributing more.

I reckon he's got another two weeks to find some form. So long as he shows progression he'll keep his spot, but if he doesn't then he may be best to focus on getting touches in the reserves. Nothing wrong with that imo and am sure Marcus would be aware.

so the plan to belt lockie, all the coach or did our friend vossey part of the planning , either way it back fired

not a good coaching audition with now another job up for grabs

Vossy is a legend of our club and I love him for that and as a player. But why anyone would hire him is beyond me. Wasn't up to it first time around and Port haven't improved in the Mid-field (or anywhere else for that matter) since he got there. Never hear any public praise either like other assistants - Dew, Ratten, etc. Just doesn't make sense why he would be front runner.

Vossy is a legend of our club and I love him for that and as a player. But why anyone would hire him is beyond me. Wasn't up to it first time around and Port haven't improved in the Mid-field (or anywhere else for that matter) since he got there. Never hear any public praise either like other assistants - Dew, Ratten, etc. Just doesn't make sense why he would be front runner.
IMO Vossy over achieved during most of his time as our coach considering the lack of off field support.

The biased treatment of Mitch by the umpires is now beyond a joke. He regularly has 50:50s go against him and never ever gets one back.
Did you see the GWS game last week? There was a big contest with Mitch Robbo vs Toby Greene... It was a 50/50 call... The whistle blew... And the free went to:

Robbo!

So he's almost the most tarnished player in umps' eyes.

IMO Vossy over achieved during most of his time as our coach considering the lack of off field support.

The decisions following our 2009 finals was baffling, we decided ourselves we were in a window that just wasnt there.

Brisbane were never behind during the Saints game. Led for 100% of the game (excl 0-0).

That's the first time that has happened this year. Excellent progress. The last time this happened was Fremantle last year - Round 15. 1 July 2018. Just under a year between occurrences. I'll be interested to see when it next happens. Pushing for much less than a year.
2 weeks. That's how long it took.
And now it's a streak. Two weeks in a row where we were never behind the other team.

The last time we were in a losing position was during the third quarter of the Melbourne game... You know - back in June.

Also - today we hit 38 days without a loss. It's a good time to be a Lions fan. The only time this decade we've ever looked like going 40 days without a loss has been the off-season.

He's got a fantastic sense of where the goals are, regardless of where he is or how balanced he is.

Funnily enough Lyons shows similar traits, which is unusual given the rest of his package doesn't exactly scream "dangerous around goals".

I've been quite surprised by lyons in this regard as well, he seems to position himself well, and is surprisingly accurate when rushing to boot to ball for a snap. He tends to face forward in those stoppages which I think helps as the goals are already in his vision which helps with his accuracy.

I've been quite surprised by lyons in this regard as well, he seems to position himself well, and is surprisingly accurate when rushing to boot to ball for a snap. He tends to face forward in those stoppages which I think helps as the goals are already in his vision which helps with his accuracy.

Was it one of the preseason matches where he kicked 3 or 4 goals and surprised us all?

I feel a little sorry for Sutcliffe. Picked up in the mid-season draft and trying to make a go of his second chance at AFL level. Then he gets brought in to tag his best mate, from my memory of his time at Freo I don't think he had ever tagged before. It appears to be a psychological move, then the comment pregame by Hinkley.....Mmmm well i'm just glad the Lions don't operate in the same manner.

To rub salt into the wounds I expect Sutcliffe will be playing SANFL on the weekend.

Hinkley loves an us against them mentality...in the end he might be doing that within his own player group.

Hinkley sacrificed one of his own players and probably ended his career for the sake of his own ego.
Disgusting, selfish move ... he should be ashamed of himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And his of experience. Playing and coaching are very different beasts as fagan's success shows. Will be interesting to see if there are more coachs appointed who have not played at the highest level.

I hope to god we take a look at what they do because our grey pyjama party dance troupe is embarrassing in comparison.

The AFL's Matchday presentation team were up a few weeks ago and said he had one of the best matchday experiences in the game. If you look at what we're competing with technology wise, we are doing a great job (biased opinion).

Also the Gabba have been great to work with this year, adding the LED's in the roof, working with us by turning the lights off for our pre-game before the Indigenous game v Hawthorn.

He has looked a long way off it. But he is a big Guy and not a natural footballer. He is coming back from 18 months out of footy playing for a different side. He looks a bit unfit and out of step. His best is very good though, I assure you of this. It is worth investing a month of footy in him, he will be a weapon if we can get him clicking, doubt he has 'lost it' in the time since he last played.

Na that was McCarthy to Freo trade.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That'd be the worst refusal of a trade.

Worst trade ever... BF history here, can't even find a link to the original ("you" obviously being Carlton):

Weaver said:
Worst trade ever?

That's easy. Pick 16 and 46 for Stephen O'Reilly who played 12 games for you. AND you had to pay him illegally outside the cap. AND he blew the whistle on you. AND you had to pay a fine. AND you got kicked out of the draft and had to recruit hacks. AND it meant that your mulit-million investment in Denis Pagan was a waste because he had no players.

Stephen O'Reilly for - Pick 16, pick 46, $1m fine, pick 1, 2, 17 and 33 in the 2003 draft, pick 1 in the 2003 PSD, 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2004 draft.

I reckon that would have the McMahon trade covered by a couple of laps of Flemington, then a trip down the highway for a run round Caulfield, before a backtrack to run the length of the Moone Valley straight.

The AFL's Matchday presentation team were up a few weeks ago and said he had one of the best matchday experiences in the game. If you look at what we're competing with technology wise, we are doing a great job (biased opinion).

Also the Gabba have been great to work with this year, adding the LED's in the roof, working with us by turning the lights off for our pre-game before the Indigenous game v Hawthorn.
Lot’s of what goes on throughout matchday is great, I must say. But as far as prematch goes, there is a lot of potential for improvement. I don’t engage with the GABBA prematch, but was fully engaged at AO. The dance troupe is where I’d start. If we must endure it, at least put them in some Lions gear!

He has looked a long way off it. But he is a big Guy and not a natural footballer. He is coming back from 18 months out of footy playing for a different side. He looks a bit unfit and out of step. His best is very good though, I assure you of this. It is worth investing a month of footy in him, he will be a weapon if we can get him clicking, doubt he has 'lost it' in the time since he last played.
Adams actually played 6 games in 2018 from rounds 14 to 19. Last game against the Power July 29th 2018. Agree he looks a bit off the pace at the moment. I can only assume he is training well and they consider him best 22 when up and going. First game for him at the Gabba as a Lion.

"Investing" a month of senior footy when it's mid July is not worth the risk in my opinion. Play him in the NEAFL and get him ready for season 2020 is my preferred strategy while giving someone like Bailey/Starcevic/Lester more experience knowing that they have a better chance of doing what is asked of them. He can always be a depth player & if an opportunity presents itself in the remaining games, he's there to call up. I've seen all his games thus far in both NEAFL & Seniors. He looks like a player who desperately needs to get his touch back before he plays with the big boys.

"Investing" a month of senior footy when it's mid July is not worth the risk in my opinion. Play him in the NEAFL and get him ready for season 2020 is my preferred strategy while giving someone like Bailey/Starcevic/Lester more experience knowing that they have a better chance of doing what is asked of them. He can always be a depth player & if an opportunity presents itself in the remaining games, he's there to call up. I've seen all his games thus far in both NEAFL & Seniors. He looks like a player who desperately needs to get his touch back before he plays with the big boys.

Haven't finished the replay but his positioning looked a lot better than last week. Definitely needs a step forward against the Roos. Hell, if he doesn't we'll be in trouble as North have a good forwardline.

I don't really know how Vossy is performing . but before I pass judgement based on his players I just remember our existing coach's being the brunt of our frustrations , now look at us. Could be the cattle or the head coach or yeh could be vossy.

Back