Preview Round 17, 2019: Swans v Blues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wayne Swan

Premium Gold
Sep 9, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Rose at best only looks like a last 2-3 picked type of player who has had 5 years in the system so I think his papers have been stamped. Let's not forget that most on here were very surprised he avoided getting cut last year.

Jack did have the most possessions in last weeks NEAFL game so has some form. Season not over yet given the shock results being thrown up each week so that may be why he is back rather than adding more youth. I think we're too far from 8th to make it but the club will keep trying until the maths rule us out. Once we are definitely done, bring in Stoddart etc, tip out players needing surgery early and plan for 2020.

Mick Oxlong

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Rose at best only looks like a last 2-3 picked type of player who has had 5 years in the system so I think his papers have been stamped. Let's not forget that most on here were very surprised he avoided getting cut last year.

Jack did have the most possessions in last weeks NEAFL game so has some form. Season not over yet given the shock results being thrown up each week so that may be why he is back rather than adding more youth. I think we're too far from 8th to make it but the club will keep trying until the maths rule us out. Once we are definitely done, bring in Stoddart etc, tip out players needing surgery early and plan for 2020.
The most possessions hey? You might want to go check the form guide bud, you’ve just backed the wrong horse(s)!

Bloodied52

Premium Platinum
May 24, 2017
Old South Grandstand
AFL Club
Sydney
Unfortunately I was there. Rose (and I am no fan but really respect the effort he has put in to improving his game) was ok. Not great but ran like a loon and applied pressure - two things KJ, in his diminished state, simply cannot do.

KJ was good in the Ressies in the first half but I am convinced he copped a knock on the hip that rendered him dire in the second half. He benefitted in the first half with some service from Grassy. I rated Clarke ahead of him. I simply, with the best will in the world, cannot see him being a constructive factor in a win.

Mick Oxlong

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Okay so Jack only had the second most possessions, substitutute the name Clarke for Jack and you are going to get exactly the same reactions to the selection from exactly the same posters.
Not me, I’d rather Clarke, I actually don’t mind him...even if he does have some work to do on his disposal. Having said that, if I couldn’t have a ruck, I would’ve kept the same side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BruceFromBalnarring

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I wonder if, one day, this group of experts might be able to discuss the various selections and non-selections without denigrating the player we think shouldn't have been selected, particularly when that player has 1. Earned his selection with his performances in the Reserves and 2. Has given this great club such great service over a number of years.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sunnybrook Farm
I wonder if, one day, this group of experts might be able to discuss the various selections and non-selections without denigrating the player we think shouldn't have been selected, particularly when that player has 1. Earned his selection with his performances in the Reserves and 2. Has given this great club such great service over a number of years.
IMO (this means it isn't necessarily right for those of you that jump at shadows).

First in should have been Fox, but he needs game time in NEAFL before being considered.
Second choice should have been Clarke, but he needs to improve his poor disposal in twos.
Third choice is Jack, who has played a few games back now to improve fitness, got plenty of the ball, tackles, defensive efforts etc so get's the nod for this particular week, be it his Swansong or because he still has something to offer our season.

IMO

Bloodied52

Premium Platinum
May 24, 2017
Old South Grandstand
AFL Club
Sydney
I certainly do not denigrate KJ and doubt others are either. He has played one good half in the Ressies v a poor NT team. He was quiet in the second half. As I said I suspect he copped a knock on his troublesome hip.

I do not think it was a sensible selection. Is that denigrating? Not

Bloodied52

Premium Platinum
May 24, 2017
Old South Grandstand
AFL Club
Sydney
IMO (this means it isn't necessarily right for those of you that jump at shadows).

First in should have been Fox, but he needs game time in NEAFL before being considered.
Second choice should have been Clarke, but he needs to improve his poor disposal in twos.
Third choice is Jack, who has played a few games back now to improve fitness, got plenty of the ball, tackles, defensive efforts etc so get's the nod for this particular week, be it his Swansong or because he still has something to offer our season.

IMO
Fox paid the penalty for being travelling emergency last round.

TheMase

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Didn't he kick a goal from the 50m arc?
Fair enough point. Perhaps the stat only counts player to player and not when kicking at goal.

No idea, just quoted the AFL app. Would be an inside 50 too I suppose.

It would bump a few others up too. Blakey kicked 1.2 that wouldn’t have counted and McCartin who was slightly ahead of him also kicked 1.1.

Either way, it’s still fairly low. And 0 (or even 1) inside 50 probably doesn’t cut it either.

swannyfan

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wall St. Turtles
Much has been said about jack been brought back in for his "experience/leadership" and clearly to help us win when swapping out young developing players, though i'm keen to know how much of that has actrually translated to a win of recent times when he's come back in after injury and/or decent reserves form. If it's a farewell game (great servant and deserves one), but the timing would seem odd.

kickthething

Premium Platinum
Jul 5, 2010
Eltham North
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
you are kidding, right?
Much has been said about jack been brought back in for his "experience/leadership" and clearly to help us win when swapping out young developing players, though i'm keen to know how much of that has actrually translated to a win of recent times when he's come back in after injury and/or decent reserves form. If it's a farewell game (great servant and deserves one), but the timing would seem odd.
No stranger than Roughy's farewell game against us. Might just be Horse copying his great teacher Clarko.

kickthething

Premium Platinum
Jul 5, 2010
Eltham North
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
you are kidding, right?
The only thing I feel about this is sadness that KJ has a put a slight tarnish on his legacy by agreeing to play. I think nothing about Jose - the bloke is simply a Moneyball tosser.
Each to their own... given where we are at this year I just can't see how it does that........the selection says now about horse than it does about Kizza

Top Bottom