Preview Round 17, 2020: St.Kilda v West Coast - Gabba, Thursday 10th September, 7:10PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

• Eagles

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The obvious changes are

In: King, Membrey, Carlisle
Out: Abbott, Marsh, Phillips

Still think we are a bit light on for mids though

The answer might be Lonie for Bytel if we want a bigger body. Lonie was too easily shrugged off, or bodied off the ball.

Not sure how that affects the rest of the team structure, because then we wouldn’t have that 3-pronged small forward set up, of which we seem to be fond. In saying that, I don’t particularly see the point of playing 3 when only Kent and Butler have shown consistent performances.

The answer might be Lonie for Bytel if we want a bigger body. Lonie was too easily shrugged off, or bodied off the ball.

Not sure how that affects the rest of the team structure, because then we wouldn’t have that 3-pronged small forward set up, of which we seem to be fond. In saying that, I don’t particularly see the point of playing 3 when only Kent and Butler have shown consistent performances.
Lonie was good again today

We’ll win guys. We’ll win and we’ll seal our spot in the finals. Confident.

Did what we had to do against Hawthorn. Barely getting out of 3rd gear, with a makeshift forward line. Should have been a bigger margin had we not hit the post 4 times.

I’m looking at the West Coast body language. I’m looking at Adam Simpson in the presser. It’s woe is me again for the Eagles. Injuries, hubbing, consecutive short turn arounds. It’s in their head already.

Now we’d be silly to not pay a great opponent the proper respect, and I don’t believe we would and will come out all guns firing. From what I’ve seen this season we’ve been up for the fight against the better sides more so then the battlers.

Tall timber up forward to return. Surely Jake Carlisle back in defence. Think if we were going to rest Paddy Ryder it would be against GWS assuming we get the win Thursday.

Saints by 18

IN: Max King, Tim Membrey, Jake Carlisle, Jack Bytel

OUT: Ryan Abbott (omitted), Ed Phillips (omitted), Jon Marsh (omitted), Jarryn Geary (managed)

Does anyone know why Roberton can’t get a game? He wasn’t awful in rd 1. No worse than most of the team.

I can’t understand why you wouldn’t persevere with a bloke that has played at such a high level in the past, particularly early in the year.

There has to be a reason.

Carlisle wife hasn't had the bub has she? Would explain his sudden absence.. We have really really missed him the past two games.

This game will go exactly like the Brisbane game. We get ourselves up for the games we aren't expected to win, the shackles get let loose. I expect us to take it up to them, it's on us to take our chances.

NicNat in fresh works against us, and I dare say he is the difference between the result. Mist set up well on him.

Would love to see Dunstan come in for some much needed midfield depth and set him up for finals. I reckon he was built for these games, and we know he bleeds for this club.

In: Carlisle, King, Membrey, Dunstan
Out: Phillips, Abbott, Marsh, Lonie (?)

FB: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Long, Carlisle, Coffield
C: Sinclair, Steele, Billings
R: Ryder, Jones, Dunstan
HF: Butler, Marshall, Hill
FF: Kent, King, Membrey
IC: Clark, Sinclair, Ross, Geary

Resting some slower guys, some with niggles, some for balance and some more run to compensate for the extra tiredness of those staying in. The squad could look like anything on Thursday. I don't think Carlisle will get up, a bad back doesn't rapidly get match ready. Billings not your traditional CHF, but that isn't really a "tall" position anymore in the modern game. A stab in the dark...

OUT:IN:
Ryder (Rested)King
Phillips (Rested)Membrey
Geary (Rested)Savage
Clark (Rested)Bytel
Coffield (Rested)Roberton
Paton (Rested)Byrnes
FTim MembreyMax KingJack Lonie
HFDean KentJack BillingsDan Butler
CJack SinclairSebastian RossBrad Hill
HBShane SavageJosh BattleBen Long
BCallum WilkieDougal HowardDylan Roberton
FOLLRowan MarshallJack SteeleZak Jones
INTRyan AbbottJack BytelRyan ByrnesJonathon Marsh

Does anyone know why Roberton can’t get a game? He wasn’t awful in rd 1. No worse than most of the team.

I can’t understand why you wouldn’t persevere with a bloke that has played at such a high level in the past, particularly early in the year.

maybe his new drugs aren't letting him hit peak performance? Mayne he's carrying something? We do have a lot of his type currently, but it is curious..

Pinched from West Coast board

Hard to do as so much depends on unknown like who's available and who's sore

Reckon Gov won't get up, so Edwards get another crack. Hickey out for NN. Allen had two quiet ones in a row, and I reckon Williams offers more as a backup ruck. Hutch is cooked, Cameron or Petch in as a small fwd, Ainsworth can play the tagging role as he did a number on Daniel in the 2nd half. Shep looks like he needs a rest, Hurn can come back.

Out: Gov, Hickey, Allen, Hutch, Shep
In: Edwards, NN, Williams, Petch, Hurn

Interesting him saying McGovern might not play

Resting some slower guys, some with niggles, some for balance and some more run to compensate for the extra tiredness of those staying in. The squad could look like anything on Thursday. I don't think Carlisle will get up, a bad back doesn't rapidly get match ready. Billings not your traditional CHF, but that isn't really a "tall" position anymore in the modern game. A stab in the dark...

Ryder (Rested)King
Phillips (Rested)Membrey
Geary (Rested)Savage
Clark (Rested)Bytel
Paton (Rested)Byrnes

No way we are resting Carlisle (if fit), Ryder, Coff or Paton when playing finals hinges on this game. They shouldn’t be tired, we just had an eight day break. We need our best 22. Even Ryder, the “old man”, does not look like he’s playing tired.

King, Membrey, hopefully Carlisle and possibly Dunstan/Bytel in.
Abbott, Langdon, Coff (only if ankle not right) Marsh out.

We have a week break after that before the last game and a bye if we make it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We just need to find a way to win this. We've been playing better at the Gabba and the Eagles have had a gruelling schedule leading up to this.

Out: Abbott, Marsh, Phillips and Coffield (was limped badly off the ground. dont like his chances with a 4 day turn around)

In: King, Membrey, Carlisle and Bytel.

If Coffield does miss might be a shot for Robbo to get his chance back in the side. He’s been an emergency several times over the last month or so.

Ryder (Rested)King
Phillips (Rested)Membrey
Geary (Rested)Savage
Clark (Rested)Bytel
Paton (Rested)Byrnes

Don't see something like this as a half bad idea to be honest. We look tired and lethargic and we desperately need to change something up. I'd hope for 4 changes this week.

Worst case, we lose (like most of us predict anyway) and we bring back our strongest team in an elimination final against GWS.

I just reckon Wilkie and Coff have gone past him.
He actually might get his chance if Coff doesn’t up.

Great Win in the end!
Loved the Abbott selection even though he was a glorified Witch's hat as it allowed Marshall to be the man. I'd structure up as per below for WCE:

IN: King, Membrey, Carlisle

OUT: Phillips (Omitted), Geary ('Omitted'), Abbott (Omitted)

FB Ben Paton (L Ryan), Dougal Howard (J Kennedy), Callum Wilkie (J Darling)

HB Nick Coffield/Dylan Roberton (J. Waterman), Jake Carlisle (O Allen), Ben Long (Baws Interceptor)

C Bradley Hill, Zac Jones, Jack Billings

HF Jack Sinclair, Tim Membrey, Dean Kent

FF Max King, Rowan Marshall, Dan Butler

R Paddy Ryder, Jack Steele, Hunter Clark

IC Seb Ross, Jono Marsh, Josh Battle, Jack Lonie

EM Dylan Roberton, Jack Bytel, Matt Parker, Nick Hind​

Roberton in for Coffield if he cant get up. Time to see if Robbo can be a factor this year. If WCE drop Allen, I'd be hoping we bring in Roberton to play alongside Paton and Coffield.
Carlisle only in if they play the 3rd KPF although even then I'm extremely sceptical he can be that valuable on the offence given his limitations one on one.
Geary for a very very long overdue 'rest'. I love him because he loves St.K as much as I do but if ever there was a time to give him a rest it is this week after he's clocked his 200th. He's a complete liability with the ball and can barely beat an opposition 18-22 player.
Marsh deserves another crack, was much more effective than Hind. We may be a bit heavy though but no one to come in until Hannebery/Dunstan available.
Phillips would probably be a good-ordinary EFL footballer at most and should never pull on the jumper again if we're serious about being successful.

Onward to Finalzzz

In: Membrey, King, Bytel, Robbo and Savage.

Out: Paton, Long, Abbott, Battle and Marsh.

Phillips quiet but good in the other games.

Long did NOTHING. 18 touches doing what exactly chipping sideways getting cheap touches. PATON quiet AGAIN only gets chip kick touches.
Wait what?

You know nothing about football

Long did NOTHING. 18 touches doing what exactly chipping sideways getting cheap touches. PATON quiet AGAIN only gets chip kick touches.

This guy must love attention. It's pretty clear now they just come here to troll and gain notoriety for their silly ideas.
It's the same thing week after week. Best to block them I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back