Preview Round 17, 2020: St.Kilda v West Coast - Gabba, Thursday 10th September, 7:10PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

• Eagles

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
So who’s feeling positive and happy right now lads?

Come on you miserable gits, it’s the final two rounds of the season and we actually have something to play for! That hasn’t happened for almost a decade.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Personally ok on Jake as there must be a reason for it. Helps with overall movement. Only nagging issue is with the weather and have we picked enough contested ball guys (whether you’re an insider or not). Are there too many outside types?
But game on! Pleeeease!

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
What I find funny about the Carlisle stuff is that earlier in the season supporters were calling for a senior player to be dropped, "make a statement Ratts" etc.

Then when it actually happens the coach has lost the plot.

He is dropped, Ratts doesn't think he deserves to be in the team. There's nothing weird about it, it happens all the time. I for one like the idea of a coach that knows what he likes in players and isn't afraid to drop favourites.

If Carlisle is good enough he will force his way back into the team. If there are things he is meant to work on he should be working on them. I think he probably is and will come back in if he's deemed ready. If Coff doesn't get up he'll probably be a late in.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Has anyone heard any of the 5000 AFL media reporters ask anyone from the club what’s going on with Jake or are they all too focused on the big issues like Brooke Cochin’s hair and Bec Judd’s next party.
Nope. Focused on Essendon and Carlton.

Dard Ball Get

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
May 23, 2016
W.A
AFL Club
St Kilda
What I find funny about the Carlisle stuff is that earlier in the season supporters were calling for a senior player to be dropped, "make a statement Ratts" etc.

He is dropped, Ratts doesn't think he deserves to be in the team. There's nothing weird about it, it happens all the time. I for one like the idea of a coach that knows what he likes in players and isn't afraid to drop favourites.

If Carlisle is good enough he will force his way back into the team. If there are things he is meant to work on he should be working on them. I think he probably is and will come back in if he's deemed ready. If Coff doesn't get up he'll probably be a late in.
That’d be fine, if he deserved to be dropped. Maybe Ratts is using a different metric we’re not privy to.
It’ll remain weird until we hear a reasoning behind it.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Interesting thing with Coffield is that 12 months ago I had my doubts and only reason I was clinging to hope was probably his draft number.
I feel now like he’s one of our last defensive players we can lose. He’s had an outstanding year. Really hope he gets up.

His intercept marking & kicking skills are elite. He’s tracking similarly to Goddard. Long has also been very good. Can play fairly tall & isn’t giving away those silly free kicks he was at the start of the year.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
His intercept marking & kicking skills are elite. He’s tracking similarly to Goddard. Long has also been very good. Can play fairly tall & isn’t giving away those silly free kicks he was at the start of the year.
If it’s wet and slippery tomorrow then Longy could really hurt someone and be out for years.

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda

Problem is Jake didn’t deserve to be dropped. When people wanted a senior player to be dropped they were talking underperformers like Billings, Gresh, Seb Ross, Hill, Membrey.
It says a lot about the team when a guy like Seb can coast along all year without fear of being dropped but Jake, our best defender, gets dropped for no reason and kept out of the team for weeks at a time.
Talk about playing favorites.
Yes, Seb was good last weekend.

_Maximus_12

Premiership Player
Jul 20, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Let’s avoid going too hard at bashing individuals before the game is played. This is a public forum, in some cases there will be players family, friends and potentially even themselves reading these threads.
Back selection in, give the players a chance to perform and if they don’t, then critique the performance accordingly.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Problem is Jake didn’t deserve to be dropped. When people wanted a senior player to be dropped they were talking underperformers like Billings, Gresh, Seb Ross, Hill, Membrey.
It says a lot about the team when a guy like Seb can coast along all year without fear of being dropped but Jake, our best defender, gets dropped for no reason and kept out of the team for weeks at a time.

I agree to an extent. Ross has been very lucky. Makes me think Jake has a poor attitude & won’t follow directions. For all Ross’s poor form he probably kept his chin up & did all the team things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
goddard could do it all over the park though, yet to see any sign of that outta coff

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
would not have dropped him if he didn't deserved to be dropped

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Seb has been excellent since coming back from injury and is also a dual b and f winner. The fact you said underperformers like Gresh and Billings is just insane as they're two of our best players this year.

The coach appears to know what he's doing and he thinks Carlisle should be dropped. Guess what he knows more than the fans and has us geared for our first finals appearance in a decade. Sorry but results talk.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

Except his didnt warrant being dropped in the first place.

And we haven't brought in anyone is replace him as the second key defender despite needing someone else to play on the oppositions second key forward.

I like it when the selection committee picks a team with enough key defenders to cover the oppositions key forwards. And they have not done that in this case.

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Obviously Facebook is not a reliable source.

But a bloke on a St Kilda page has suggested Carlisle is close to meeting a games played bonus and the club is trying to save some $$$.

Usually would pay no mind to anyone on there but after claiming “Jake is one of my good mates” I had a quick look at his profile and one of his profile pictures is with a bloke that is definitely one of Jake’s best mates. So could potentially travel in the same friendship group. Said the info is “not from my mouth.”

Wouldn’t take it too seriously but since we’re all wondering it thought it was worth mentioning.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
Except his didnt warrant being dropped in the first place
obviously he did, Ratts just said Jake been going ok lets just drop him anyhow

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Let’s avoid going too hard at bashing individuals before the game is played. This is a public forum, in some cases there will be players family, friends and potentially even themselves reading these threads.
Back selection in, give the players a chance to perform and if they don’t, then critique the performance accordingly.
It’s a public forum, for footy fans to discuss their opinions on the side, absolutely no point to a preview thread if you want to wait for the game to be played already.

I haven’t read anything that I would remotely consider bashing... players, players family and friends should keep far away if they can’t cope with general discussion around performance and preferred team setup. There’s even a ‘happy zone’ thread this week if you don’t want to hear opinions that aren’t all blue sky.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

But a bloke on a St Kilda page has suggested Carlisle is close to meeting a games played bonus and the club is trying to save some $$$.

Usually would pay no mind to anyone on there but after claiming “Jake is one of my good mates” I had a quick look at his profile and one of his profile pictures is with a bloke that is definitely one of Jake’s best mates. So could potentially travel in the same friendship group. Said the info is “not from my mouth.”

Wouldn’t take it too seriously but since we’re all wondering it thought it was worth mentioning.
I really hope thats not true and that we aren't risking a finals berth over a games bonus.

Especially since we apparently dont have any salary cap issues and are currently paying Steven to be in and out of the Cats side.

Dard Ball Get

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
May 23, 2016
W.A
AFL Club
St Kilda

Like you said, unreliable. However if found to be true, the club would have big questions to answer. Like, why did we risk/miss finals for a relatively small amount of $...

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Seb has been excellent since coming back from injury and is also a dual b and f winner. The fact you said underperformers like Gresh and Billings is just insane as they're two of our best players this year.

The coach appears to know what he's doing and he thinks Carlisle should be dropped. Guess what he knows more than the fans and has us geared for our first finals appearance in a decade. Sorry but results talk.

Well our results haven't been that great lately, losing games to Brisbane and Melbourne we should've won and struggling to get over the line against Hawthorn.

If we win tomorrow night I'm sure Ratts will get plenty of credit here for his selections but should we lose tomorrow night he'll be copping plenty of criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back