Review Round 17, 2020 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hinge for me hasn’t disappointed when he has played. Bit of a head scratcher as to why he is on the outer but pleased to see what he can do when given the chance.
I think he is caught in the awkwardness of not having done a single thing wrong but not absolutely outstanding when he's had a shot. He has come in (I think) mostly as injury replacements for best 22 players, so once they are fit they have been auto-inclusions. Im personally wasnt super happy to see him selected (more because I wanted to see our top picks from the last two years) but I cant begrudge him getting another shot or year if there is a list spot for him

He wasn't that bad last week, had a goal & score assist in the first 10 mins.. Wait till him & Cameron get a few seasons bouncing off each other, trakin' to be the next Gunston/Breust combo up fwd..

McStay has had a very good year overall his best to date. A break out year. Hipwood and Rayner also seem to be having break out years.

Hinge for me hasn’t disappointed when he has played. Bit of a head scratcher as to why he is on the outer but pleased to see what he can do when given the chance.

If he's being pegged as a wing then it's tough to get past Robbo, Clug and Bailey.

Actually thinking about Coleman‘s game I thought of the Krakouers As a comparison. Similar ability to find time and space. Burst of speed that looks effortless. much stronger than they appeared. Thanks for posting their highlights.
I actually don’t think Keidan is that quick (Not saying he’s slow), has time and space when he gets the ball but I had a chuckle when someone compared him to Cyril.

Keidean's younger brother Blake is in our academy and draft eligible this year, he is more a pure small forward than his big brother but there was talk around the draft traps that he is a better talent than Keidean.
They predicted Trevor Chappell would be the best of the bros too and we know how that worked out.

Just on Hinge I think there's definitely a spot for him long term in the side, he's looks a very solid player. I'd like him replacing Birchall at HB.

Perhaps a bit controversial but I'd have him above Witherden. Both have a great kick, but based off what little I've seen of Hinge, his superior athleticism makes him seem a bit more well rounded.

I actually don’t think Keidan is that quick (Not saying he’s slow), has time and space when he gets the ball but I had a chuckle when someone compared him to Cyril.

He kicks a lot like Cyril. Has great vision and touch on his kicks like Cyril had.

Still a long way apart in other aspects of his game.

McStay has had a very good year overall his best to date. A break out year. Hipwood and Rayner also seem to be having break out years.

He has had one good week. Lets not forget the sea of mediocrity he has been swimming in for most of the year. He has kicked 10 goals for the year playing exclusively in a KPF role. That is very very ordinary. He has always been a tease and he continues to do so.

Hipwood was better last year although has been generally servicable this year. Rayner has genuinely shown some really good development but I would not say he has really broken out just yet. Made a few cracks in the shell - sure.

Big O the break out player for me. Bailey also worth a mention in that category.

Just on Hinge I think there's definitely a spot for him long term in the side, he's looks a very solid player. I'd like him replacing Birchall at HB.

Perhaps a bit controversial but I'd have him above Witherden. Both have a great kick, but based off what little I've seen of Hinge, his superior athleticism makes him seem a bit more well rounded.
I think with Fages coming from the Hawthorn system, he loves a good lefty kicking out of defence.
They are sweet timers of the ball.

Yes, I have said all year, that we should not be locked into the same 22-24 each week. The young guys should get the odd game based on pre season and ressie form. Not gifted AFL games, but rewarded for their form, otherwise the good 'backup' players will leave. They may even be better than the regulars, depending on the opposition.

Hinge is one of these, and like a few others offers something. I must admit, although I watched every game of NEAFL last year did not pick Coleman for this year, but he has been exciting. He has definitely stepped up, is composed and I see a bright future. Payne has performed well in a key role and offers pace in the backline for a big bloke. In the wet conditions last night played a close marking game on Reid. I think he offers a lot and hope from next year he is a regular.
I think Ely Smith and WOOLLER deserved a chance earlier in the year, to play a game or two for experience. IMO this is how you build depth and cover for injuries. I still think with a huge preseason and some further ruck coaching Ballenden could be a good player or at least a fine 'backup'
Look at Adelaide the past month once they decided to play some of the young guys. Just my opinion, I am no expert, but like this site because we can all openly express our views in a congenial forum.

He has had one good week. Lets not forget the sea of mediocrity he has been swimming in for most of the year. He has kicked 10 goals for the year playing exclusively in a KPF role. That is very very ordinary. He has always been a tease and he continues to do so.

Hipwood was better last year although has been generally servicable this year. Rayner has genuinely shown some really good development but I would not say he has really broken out just yet. Made a few cracks in the shell - sure.

Big O the break out player for me. Bailey also worth a mention in that category.
And Starcevich has had a fantastic year as well.

I 100% agree, unfortunately, it's a league-wide problem(Sydney do it, but I don't know a team that doesn't drop the ball). If the ball leaves a player's possession without a handball or a kick it should be illegal disposal, but since the afl wants movement over all else dropping the ball is a legal disposal now. I would prefer it for the umpires to be a lot tougher on it.
Pet hate of mine... This is not the rule. Prior opportunity DOES apply to illegal disposal calls. Commentators say it all the time, and they are wrong. Illegal disposal is simply an extension of holding the ball.

From the laws of the game:

17.6.3 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Incorrect Disposal
Where a Player in Possession of the Football has not had Prior Opportunity, a Free Kick shall be awarded if that Player elects to Incorrectly Dispose of the football when Legally Tackled. For the avoidance of doubt, a Player does not elect to Incorrectly Dispose of the football when:
(a) the Player genuinely attempts to Correctly Dispose of the football;
(b) the Legal Tackle causes the football to be dislodged from the Player’s possession"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have thought Hinge looked pretty ordinary in the two games last year. He was not able to bring the quality of his disposal to AFL conditions. It was great to see that change on the weekend and to me he looks like an AFL player because of it. Good on him for stepping up when he got the chance this year.

I was the one who put the Cyril conversation in but i posted about about his deft left foot kicking which i thought looked very similar.

Yes, I have said all year, that we should not be locked into the same 22-24 each week. The young guys should get the odd game based on pre season and ressie form. Not gifted AFL games, but rewarded for their form, otherwise the good 'backup' players will leave. They may even be better than the regulars, depending on the opposition.

Hinge is one of these, and like a few others offers something. I must admit, although I watched every game of NEAFL last year did not pick Coleman for this year, but he has been exciting. He has definitely stepped up, is composed and I see a bright future. Payne has performed well in a key role and offers pace in the backline for a big bloke. In the wet conditions last night played a close marking game on Reid. I think he offers a lot and hope from next year he is a regular.
I think Ely Smith and WOOLLER deserved a chance earlier in the year, to play a game or two for experience. IMO this is how you build depth and cover for injuries. I still think with a huge preseason and some further ruck coaching Ballenden could be a good player or at least a fine 'backup'
Look at Adelaide the past month once they decided to play some of the young guys. Just my opinion, I am no expert, but like this site because we can all openly express our views in a congenial forum.
There is a positive in making these guys do their time though.
As this year has shown, when they have come in, they have played their roles well.
Over the last decade teams like Geelong, Hawks, Eagles, Sydney, all of these teams make their young fellas work hard to get into the team and it shows when they finally get a go.
I think it’s great that we are now in a position that we don’t have to play guys when they aren’t really ready.

I was the one who put the Cyril conversation in but i was talking about his deft left foot kicking which i thought looked very similar.

A non-indig player I would perhaps compare him to is Jack Billings. I think the games they play are actually fairly similar if you look at Billings when he started out in the AFL. Smaller build with good touch kicking who work well a kick and a half from goal. Coleman better defensively, Billings a much better accumulator.

Agree Big O fantastic and Bailey now the confidence to take players on. I can see next year Starc, Coleman and hopefully Payne having breakout years. We need another big KPD. Future looks good. Rayner is close, but needs to follow up strong games (against Suns) immediately after (he was quite last night)
Great goal last night by Eric on non dominate foot. McStay seems to me to play good or contributes after a quite or poor game the week prior, so maybe the feedback from the coaches gets him motivated, but he has not had a good year, but I can see he does offer a link and at least gets the ball to ground. There is probably no one else putting real pressure on him. He can score a goal when playing on and not thinking about his set shot.

Agree Big O fantastic and Bailey now the confidence to take players on. I can see next year Starc, Coleman and hopefully Payne having breakout years. We need another big KPD. Future looks good. Rayner is close, but needs to follow up strong games (against Suns) immediately after (he was quite last night)
Great goal last night by Eric on non dominate foot. McStay seems to me to play good or contributes after a quite or poor game the week prior, so maybe the feedback from the coaches gets him motivated, but he has not had a good year, but I can see he does offer a link and at least gets the ball to ground. There is probably no one else putting real pressure on him. He can score a goal when playing on and not thinking about his set shot.

Probably worth mentioning that Skinner has really only been playing up forward the last 18 months because we had such great depth at KPD in the reserves. I still think he is a much better defender than forward. The injuries though might have robbed him of a bit of pace which might inhibit his ability to cover guys at AFL level.

Very harsh assessment IMO. He's predominantly played as a high forward, marking/contesting on the wings. He hasn't been a focal point for marks inside 50 compared to others either, so judging him on his goal tally is an unfair metric.

It's also worth noting that KPF goals are down in a big way in 2020. You needn't look further than guys like J. Cameron, Brown and even Hipwood as an example of KPF struggling.

A topic for another thread, but I wonder how much of this is due to shorter quarters meaning less red time goals for KPF who have worked over their opponent?

If you're talking breakout years McInerny is head and shoulders above anyone else. Bailey almost. Rayner looks fitter and played better but let's see a bit more consistency. McStay na. He's been ordinary in most of the games, passable in others and good in 2 maybe 3 , but still not outstanding in any.

Very harsh assessment IMO. He's predominantly played as a high forward, marking/contesting on the wings. He hasn't been a focal point for marks inside 50 compared to others either, so judging him on his goal tally is an unfair metric.

It's also worth noting that KPF goals are down in a big way in 2020. You needn't look further than guys like J. Cameron, Brown and even Hipwood as an example of KPF struggling.

A topic for another thread, but I wonder how much of this is due to shorter quarters meaning less red time goals for KPF who have worked over their opponent?
I am abit bemused the way Leon Cameron is playing Jeremy Cameron. Rarely do i see him playing solely out of the goal square anymore. I am just wondering in my head whether Jezza Cameron is on the way out and has advised Leon Cameron that so they are playing their future forwards in their most relevant positions? Only my opinion though.

OK so we might as well finish last for eternity since nothing else matters except for premierships. :rolleyes:
Who cares about the joy we experience savoring each win after being last for so many years?
All that matters are premierships ... last year and this year were just as bad as when we finished last.
FFS this attitude really pisses me off.
Not exactly what i said... but for me the difference between finishing second on percentage is no different to finishing first on percentage (same number of wins to savour). Either way we had a great home & away season.
5 years on if we win the premiership i’ll remember 2020 for-ever, if we don’t, i’ll remember it as a great home & away regardless of first or second on the ladder...both a long way from eighteenth.

Back