Review Round 17, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. St. Kilda

Who were your five best players against Geelong

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think tbh everyone was overrating our chances a week ago and now they're underrating them.

The other thing I'm not sold on is how everyone looks at the draw and says this or that will happen. That theory gets blown up every year . Anyone can beat anyone these days if you're not on your game. Collingwood was written off as a basket case 2 weeks ago now they're a threat. Even to us. We have to play the Dockers in Perth . That's hardly a gimme. Richmond this week is half a toss up . Everyone pencilled in last weeks game as a gimme and we got belted.

The season's hardly begun for most clubs in contention.
Never as good as you think, never as bad as you think. Sums it up.

I don't think it was as one-sided as you suggest. They kicked 4 goals in about 7 minutes and we managed to wrestle back the momentum.

We also kicked 1.7 in the last so we were creating a lot of scoring opportunities
Was a arm wrestle in the first.
2nd we came out kicked the first 2 after they missed 2 shots. Zorko Goal was the 11min mark they then kicked 5 unanswered in 9 mins. We kicked one late
Start of third we came out well kicked 3-1 up until the 8 min mark, they dominated the rest of the third kicking 2-3.
4th We hit the scoreboard for 2 points between 4-6th min mark
Then they again kicked 4 goals to zip in 7 mins.
Yes we scored 1.5 in junk time 13 mins after Rich point. Although we where 6 goals down then.

Saints came out to win it. Even without Hippy going down. They wanted it a lot more.
Two bursts of 5 in 9 mins and 4 in 7 mins killed us.
Games ebb and flow.. Yes we do it to other teams.. Although once they get a run on you think we try a plan B
No use blaming the defenders when the ball travels too fast

Last edited:
We're done for this year. Can't see how selfish Cameron and daniher can play a role up front that enables us to challenge. Both lazy footballers.

We were bullied all night against the saints. Midfield was awful. Probsbly the worse game we've played in a few years. Rabble of a club.

Rabble of a club?? Seriously?! Did you only start following The Lions this year or something?

I just wonder how much the shemozzle of getting to the goldie, and not home f@@@ed with their heads.
I reckon the previous 2 weeks being Melbourne based with trips to Tassie and Adelaide and then losing our Gabba home game and not being able to get back to Brisbane all took their toll. We missed three set shots for goal in the first quarter and then Hippy went down and buggered up our structure, not to mention the possible impact on the psyche of the group. They looked buggered/flat on Saturday night and just couldn't handball or kick with our usual efficiency - time and time again, we were just a bit off. A down game was always on the cards and the Saints came to play.

We're done for this year. Can't see how selfish Cameron and daniher can play a role up front that enables us to challenge. Both lazy footballers.

We were bullied all night against the saints. Midfield was awful. Probsbly the worse game we've played in a few years. Rabble of a club.
I agree SizeMatters, except with being a rabble. Not sure how anyone can disagree with anything else in your post tho.

Im still waiting for that statement win this year. Their hasn't be one. Sure we beat Richmond and Geelong up here, but every other test weve failed miserably such as losing to Geelong, Melbourne and the Dogs away. Wheres our win like Saints had against us away or even North against WCE. There hasn't been one so how we're not done is beyond me.

I agree SizeMatters, except with being a rabble. Not sure how anyone can disagree with anything else in your post tho.

Im still waiting for that statement win this year. Their hasn't be one. Sure we beat Richmond and Geelong up here, but every other test weve failed miserably such as losing to Geelong, Melbourne and the Dogs away. Wheres our win like Saints had against us away or even North against WCE. There hasn't been one so how we're not done is beyond me.

You can't see something that the Saints and North have in common that doesn't apply to us?

I hope Froggy is 100% right. We lose something with Adams gone .He was looking consistently good.

I don't know why people seem to think Oscar could play predominantly forward and have Archie predominantly ruck . Take away one of your weapons to play him where he could get run off his feet to put someone else in his spot who hasn't proven quite up to it in the past. Beats me. Oscar is fine with a short spell forward where he can get in the way and maybe take the occasional grab ,but he's a workhorse whose work around the ground has been improving . Archie couldn't do any of that. Nor I think get a goal when he's resting.

You can't see something that the Saints and North have in common that doesn't apply to us?
Thats not the point. Im saying that weve been pretty flat track bullies this year with not one unexpected win against a side we went in massive uderdogs. They are massive wins those ones and we haven't had one and now with Hippy and Adams gone for the year, we are stuffed.

Not sure why that our season is done isnt obvious. Can't rely on CC or Joe unless we are flying. Both hate the hard stuff and go missing when the going gets tough and the likes of Harris and Lachie - 2 guys we really rely on, have been pretty poor which i think is because they've been carrying something all year. Even when you see Harris walking he never looks right, cant describe it.

If you can point me to an agaisnt the odds win weve had this year I'd love to no. Richmond after losing 5, playing in Jack the Whiners 300th, having no Hippy and Marcus and carrying the likes of Kiddy (who does nothing), Birchall (again only does something when were winning) and prolly bring in Lester who has done his hammy in his last 2 games and the Fullarton 9god forbid) spells massive trouble for the Lions and I'd put me house on it that the Tigers thrash us on Fridy night.

Thats not the point. Im saying that weve been pretty flat track bullies this year with not one unexpected win against a side we went in massive uderdogs. They are massive wins those ones and we haven't had one and now with Hippy and Adams gone for the year, we are stuffed.

Not sure why that our season is done isnt obvious. Can't rely on CC or Joe unless we are flying. Both hate the hard stuff and go missing when the going gets tough and the likes of Harris and Lachie - 2 guys we really rely on, have been pretty poor which i think is because they've been carrying something all year. Even when you see Harris walking he never looks right, cant describe it.

If you can point me to an agaisnt the odds win weve had this year I'd love to no. Richmond after losing 5, playing in Jack the Whiners 300th, having no Hippy and Marcus and carrying the likes of Kiddy (who does nothing), Birchall (again only does something when were winning) and prolly bring in Lester who has done his hammy in his last 2 games and the Fullarton 9god forbid) spells massive trouble for the Lions and I'd put me house on it that the Tigers thrash us on Fridy night.
Well arent you a happy little vegemite 🤔

We played in the prelim last year. A semi final the year before.

We're a pretty good team.

You're just gonna have to get used to the fact that we're not going to be 'MASSIVE' underdogs in any game.

Lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we should deliberate play s**t then be underdogs against a good team and beat them?

Smashing Port without Neale was pretty big.

Personally I thought the Geelong win was a statement win.
Richmond in finals last year too - against a team we hadn't beaten in over a decade.

Was our 3Peat team flat track bullies or have massive underdog wins.... :think: maybe the "if it bleeds" game, were we massive underdogs for that one?

McIvor is entitled to his opinion and amongst the dump were some reasonable points , though not agreeing with the conclusions. Personally I think we've done more than enough to prove that we're a good side the last 3 years. With the considerable injuries and playing Richmond at the MCG in their do or die game would be a 'statement' win imo.

McIvor is entitled to his opinion and amongst the dump were some reasonable points , though not agreeing with the conclusions. Personally I think we've done more than enough to prove that we're a good side the last 3 years. With the considerable injuries and playing Richmond at the MCG in their do or die game would be a 'statement' win imo.
Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion on this forum and it should be respectfully received and everyone has a right to reply back with whether is right or wrong in someone else's eyes....respectfully again.
From my thoughts, people here have very short memories of where we have come from over the last 4 years and what we have achieved. Injuries have soured us more this season that other for sure but as Fagan says: "Lists win Grand Finals not necessarily the best 22 at any given time."
I believe McIvor is underestimating what our list can achieve this year given where we have come since 2017. Sure Hippy/Adams/Gardner/Rayner/Berry are important cogs in our system, but to say our season is done does get me a little wild thinking some should have more respect for the boys still in the hunt and what we ALL know they are capable of doing.
McStay now becomes more important than ever in my opinion. Everyone has seen what he is capable of and its now time for Dan to lift to a more consistent level of his game. Daniher recently has been underwhelming but again we know he can tear apart a defensive group with ease if he is on his game.
McLuggage's from has been down but the same goes for him when he is on his game. Lachie the same, Robbo the same, and I could go on & on with others. Charlie needs to do much much more instead of his sometimes selfish style of contribution. Harris has been looking lethargic instead of his amazing efforts in the past.
We can win this years flag but now we need extra effort and lift from everyone. I have no doubt we have the talent, its now time for the intensity to lift and for everyone to make more of a contribution as a team.....NO PASSENGERS!!! .... and that goes for everyone on the list regardless of whether you are playing AFL or VFL in any given week.

lester to provide a calming presence down back
our tall forwards are unrequired as McCarthy and Charles kick 9 between them, 12 more goals from our mids
dusty to be caught HTB 5 times
Cotchin showing his 'competitive spirit' will be sent to the tribunal for 2 weeks
Matho-'Beastmode'-'The Barometer' will bring back the shotgun

Last edited:
What a memory. Was that Warwick who posted it?

Whenever I see anything regarding Liam Jurrah I get instant PTSD from that game.

weevil I think.

I was watching and reading on about a five minute delay. Accidentally caught up on the thread and started wondering WTF was happening.

Back