Autopsy Round 17, 2021: Brisbane v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the midfield and ruck group for me. More often than not you feel we will win a centre bounce, ball up or throw in and I think it shows in our confidence to rebound and go forward. It's not just Dougs spoiling 30 times a game and the ball repeatedly being bombed in on our defenders. With Steele, Dunstan and Crouch in there Ryder and Marshal ganging up on opposition rucks, we're a different side.
No injuries either. Ro said the other week he needs a few games to get back to full fitness, I think tonight he was played at 80% and next week against Port will be the full 100. Hopefully it means we can go to another level...if that's possible.

Defence is looking rock solid. Doogs Wilkie and Highmore just aren't losing contests, and are getting lots of good help from Ryder and Membrey. Frees up the runners like Hill and Sinclair to make space and be creative.

Feel a bit sorry for coffield as he's not getting back for a while with the form they're showing.

Defence is looking rock solid. Doogs Wilkie and Highmore just aren't losing contests, and are getting lots of good help from Ryder and Membrey. Frees up the runners like Hill and Sinclair to make space and be creative.

Feel a bit sorry for coffield as he's not getting back for a while with the form they're showing.
The defence is looking so good even Nick Hind would struggle to get a game at the moment.

That was pleasing.
i am getting some 1997 feels at the moment, where we won every game from round 16 onwards to play in the GF. No team seems daunting now.

Long's tackle on Zorko in the second, awesome. He threw that candy back in his face.

Dmac is explosive and is really absorbing pressure before disposing cleanly. He's our road runner, (meep meep).

King tearing it up in the second felt euphoric. It felt like the days of Gehrig and Roo when we piled on scores in a short space of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we hadn't had fallen asleep twice in the last four games the form line looks a little like this;

~36 point win over Adelaide
40 point win over Richmond
~50 point win over Collingwood
32 point win over Brisbane

Tidy up the fadeouts and that's pretty comprehensive stuff. Definitely feel like something has clicked for us defensively, and if we don't make finals this year then still thank christ we found out what works because this kind of setup behind the ball is what will take us deep into finals one of these days.
This is spot on.

to me it’s not about this year. It’s about the future and what we can make happen. And three or four weeks ago our future looked bleak and questionable. Now all of a sudden it looks like we are on the right track.

Don’t get me wrong - there’s still a lot of work to do but this last few weeks has given us a lot more hope. It’s terrific to watch.

Can't speak highly enough of our defence, we were worried they wouldn't be tall enough but Howard works hard enough to be two tall defenders.

Then Wilkie, Highmore and Webster play taller than they are and give great rebound along with Sinclair and Hill playing the sweeper roles.

We've adapted our defence to cover for the loss of Coffield and Paton, if we get them back our defence will be even stronger but there's no free rides.

One moment I loved in the second qtr - connolly surrounded by lions trying to force him to go wide, he zips and splits the middle of them and nails long with a loooong handball. Awesome for a 3rd gamer

Just saw that on the replay. Followed by an awesome hit up on the left from Byrne's. Quality footy from 2 youngsters.

Can't speak highly enough of our defence, we were worried they wouldn't be tall enough but Howard works hard enough to be two tall defenders.

Then Wilkie, Highmore and Webster play taller than they are and give great rebound along with Sinclair and Hill playing the sweeper roles.

We've adapted our defence to cover for the loss of Coffield and Paton, if we get them back our defence will be even stronger but there's no free rides.

Sinclair is unreal. So composed.

I was just watching a 23 minute you tube highlight reel by a guy called RILES very well done...he does them every week i think.....on tonight's match...just to enjoy it without the gut wrenching and worry throughout the game ...always easier to enjoy the 2nd time through.

Underneath the highlights were comments as usual.... the one below by a swans supporter....put it well and voiced just how wrong I was to doubt STEELE as the full deal in terms of on field leadership. He led superbly and most importantly exacted what was precisely needed at the right time to lift us and propel us to a brilliant victory' He definitely was the man!

"4th quarter; Saints up by a couple kicks, Brisbane fully expected to storm home…. Then Jack Steele comes to the party and plays a true captain’s game, inspires the rest of his team to rise instilling a winning spirit we haven’t seen a lot of, from StKilda this year. If you are looking for a real heart and soul, hard-nosed, inspirational leader, Jack Steele is the blueprint."

So yeah he's pretty ******* brilliant. I never doubted him as a player just questions regarding his leadership at times but not anymore.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back