Autopsy Round 17, 2021: Hawks lose to Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen a lot of positive feedback for Brockman today. I have to admit I was pretty disappointed. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, and i missed the deft hands and quick thinking that others mentioned. I noticed someone who pulled up shot a couple of times and didn't seem inclined to chase and put in the hard yards. Will keep a closer eye next week.

Top three highlights for me: Kosi, Jeka and Bramble (Bramble last, only because we're more desperate for improvement up forward).

Yep this.

Didnt think we would win but also didn't think we'd get flogged. It was disappointing but there were a few things I like.

1. Kosi and Jeka could be our key forwards from the next 10 years.

2. Brockman could be anything and showed really good signs. Should play every game if available.

3. Bramble - not much to be said. Brilliant pickup and was easily our best player.

4. CJ and Scimmers were great until injured.

5. Dylan Moore

6. 6 of our 10 best players weren't playing

7. DGB got through the game alright. Not as influential as his first game but he will be a gun

8. Pick 2

No hiding from the fact we were awful today but there are signs.
Jeka has something about him that tells me he will make it. It could be the Carey strut but there is something there. Looking forward to watching his development.

Not sure what we expected. We had so much quality out already. Then lose Hardwick before first bounce. Then lose Scrimshaw and CJ

We just don’t have the depth to deal with this level of losses. I don’t think any team could deal with losing such a critical mass of their best players.

It was great to see so many good signs from our younger players but they aren’t going to be able to display the consistency required for us to win games.

Plenty more pain ahead sadly.

Agree. Especially when the other 2 simply can't find the footy enough.
I wonder how much of that is Mitchell getting the ball though. As both Worps and JOM can win a lot of it when Mitchell isn’t stat padding. Mitchell’s disposals aren’t bringing other players into the game.

Even back in 2018 when Mitchell got 54 and 50 the next highest possession winners were 27 and 26 respectively.

If he’s not working to share the load or bring others into the game, he might be a detriment.

Especially as JOM and now Worps (just starting) are having to pick up the defensive slack from Mitchell meaning even less of the ball they can win.

I think at seasons end when Silk retires, it’s time Shiels gets the tap on the shoulder like Mitch & Lewy.

Go up to the Suns and secure a nice 2-3 year deal and set life up post footy.

Unfortunately the game has passed Shielsy & no I’m not talking today I think over last year & this year in particular writing is on the wall

Bramble was our best.

Our midfield * me is woeful.

Give Mitch to The Suns for their first pick.

Freo midfield of Cerra, Serong & Brayshaw top 5 picks show how much we need to hit draft with elite kids.

two weeks ago we talking we have best up & coming back line and than we get decimated:

Impey, Day, Scimma than CJ all gone!

I like the combo of Kozzie & Jek! From limited opportunities today they presented well & great to see Jek on the score sheet.

They are close off field and I can see them two working well for the future.

Keeps TOB & Mitch Lewis out the side

I think at seasons end when Silk retires, it’s time Shiels gets the tap on the shoulder like Mitch & Lewy.

Go up to the Suns and secure a nice 2-3 year deal and set life up post footy.

Unfortunately the game has passed Shielsy & no I’m not talking today I think over last year & this year in particular writing is on the wall
Shiels is a working class player who looks great in a great team, and average in a poor team. Believe it or not, his stats this year are higher than career average, and better than say a Cerra who we are all wetting ourselves over. Has also been in our best 2-3 players in at least a few games.

He works his gut out all game and if it wasn’t for his okish disposal, would look a lot better. As leaders around the club go, he is one id be willing to hang on for another year with the likely big exodus seemingly upon us.

Watched JOM walk off from the bench at half time from close range. Clearly favouring one leg. Looked sore.
Noticed he spent time fwd in the 2nd half. Maybe reasons behind is current poor form.

Been to most games in Launceston. Clearly the worse team fielded and matched in performance in that time. Even in 2004-05, we always beat Freo. This was over 15 min in.

Yep, he landed awkwardly in a contest in the F50 late in the second quarter. Stayed down for some time, and looked proppy going into half time.

Having said that, he had almost more tackles than possessions at that stage, so wasn’t really having a day out either.

Not a great deal of positives to take away from today. Bramble was good, Jeka and Brockman showed some signs. Thought Moore’s first half was really good too.

Other than that, glad I spent 5-6 hours travelling up and back!

Need a mobile ruckman that is imposing and agile around the ground.
Reeves will be able to give our mids first use. And he’s a very good mark around the ground.

Not sure we need a mobile ruckman as such. Mids should be doing most of the running. Apart from Grundy and Cegs (ironically) there aren’t too many rucks that can act as an extra mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game changed when CJ went off
He is a brilliant pick up 👍
Watched him live at Freo last time we met , single handedly cut us to shreds . Best of luck
Interesting times ahead .
I think it started with Scrimshaw going off and that just finished us off plus your mids killed us

Start playing Reeves again. Cegs is done.

Put a line through Greaves.

Tom Phillips shouldn't be best 22 in 2022.

We were missing lots of good players today, you'd expect that close to half of the side that played today wouldn't be in a R1 2022 team. The big issue is that we had all of our midfielders available and it's the area we continue to look worst in.

Clarkos presser sounded like he’s had a gutful of our midfield. It’s so bad. Wouldn’t bother me one bit if Worpel, Mitchell and JOM were traded.
Easily our worst midfield under Clarkson.

They all seem to get a free pass to play like this week after week though, maybe he needs to do something about it.

All I care is that we're getting more out of Bramble, Jeka is growing and Kosi has surprised us all this season.
I just want to see young players put their hands up to lead us into the future.

Bit harsh people criticising Brockman for not playing like G.Archer.
He is pure class and picked up 14 disposals - let's build on that.

The reality is all of our key position players are under 23 and have played well under 50 games. Hopefully Lewis and Reeves put their hand up for selection over the next few weeks.

Lewis 22 (30 games)
Koschitzke 20 (15 games)
Jeka 19 (3 games)
Grainger-Barras 19 (2 games)
Reeves 22 (2 games)

The game was as inspiring as a wet lettuce sandwich.
Im not going to bag anymore as we can all see what is playing out here and it’s not looking good.
yes there are injuries and we copped a couple in game but the persistence with this s**t game plan and the rolling out of the same pathetic structures in the middle and stagnant ball movement has us completely on the nose and will probably cost the club 20k in membership for next season.
There needs to be hope in the system as there is hope in youth that is carrying the bulk of the workload and their projection looks good if we can accommodate the growth.
Jekka is a player. Hands dow gun and is the future of the forward line.
Throw Brocky in there as well. Give those two 50 games together and we will have a decade long combo that every club will have to put time in to.
Bramble was fantastic at finding the ball and will only get better.
Hat goes off again to Moore who continues to prove the doubters wrong from last season. It’s only a matter of time and he will be rolling through the middle as well.
Worps is in a vacuum of a s**t midfield set up and it pains me to see he can’t hunt the footy because of the inability of others to play elsewhere.
Nash is far from a world beater and at the bottom of the list but ffs… play the guy in the ******* middle and see what he has for the remainder of the season. It can’t be any worse than the sh1t that is being dished up be the senior players.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back