Preview Round 17, 2021 vs Melbourne @ Adelaide Oval 09/07/21

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people care what is said in the media about us so much? I see so many posts on this forum about it, I just don't get it.

We're a consistent top team, performing pretty much to expectations, if not slightly under them. I don't understand why there'd be much interest in us anyway, we've got a stack still to prove. And I just don't understand why some supporters need to hear the media kissing our ass to get some sort of gratification from it?

Who cares what they say. Beat top 4 teams, win big finals and win a flag and we'll get all the attention and adulation we deserve.

Why do people care what is said in the media about us so much? I see so many posts on this forum about it, I just don't get it.

We're a consistent top team, performing pretty much to expectations, if not slightly under them. I don't understand why there'd be much interest in us anyway, we've got a stack still to prove. And I just don't understand why some supporters need to hear the media kissing our ass to get some sort of gratification from it?

Who cares what they say. Beat top 4 teams, win big finals and win a flag and we'll get all the attention and adulation we deserve.
Agreed, I'm all for media bashing when justified, but with our abysmal record against top sides we're rightly not taken as a contender. The only annoying thing is the media still won't call out Hinkley as the reason.

I couldn't give a * if we don't ever get the attention and adulation externally. Just win flags and * them all.

Adelaide Oval will be back to 100 per cent capacity for Thursday night’s AFL blockbuster between the Power and Melbourne.
A week after reducing the crowd to 25,000 for last Saturday’s Crows-Brisbane game due to five new Covid-19 cases, SA authorities on Tuesday approved the ground returning to a full house.

Port Adelaide will be hoping for a huge attendance at the game, which pits second against fourth in a crucial contest for both sides’ top-four hopes.

Oval officials had come to government authorities in recent days, seeking to raise the capacity after the easing of other restrictions.

Also from the article.....
Zak Butters is set to be available for selection for Port Adelaide’s Thursday night blockbuster against Melbourne.

While Travis Boak is also likely to play in the top four clash despite the Power star going in for scans on a hamstring complaint.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see the other thread

We’re better off flying under the radar and have nobody talk about us.
That's the other thing. Apply any expectations to these players and they start crumbling. From the old Port days we weren't afraid to be the hunted, as well as the hunter, but our only (slim) chance of getting a flag under Ken is to get the flag as massive underdogs, with zero expectations of winning the games, all the way through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just hope Erin Phillips isn't boundary riding for this game. She's become our croms jinx

That's the other thing. Apply any expectations to these players and they start crumbling. From the old Port days we weren't afraid to be the hunted, as well as the hunter, but our only (slim) chance of getting a flag under Ken is to get the flag as massive underdogs, with zero expectations of winning the games, all the way through.

This isn't a Ken thing, it's been the case our whole AFL history.

Also, we've started favourites in all 15 games so far this year and are favourites again on Thursday night so not much chance of flying under the radar with zero expectation unfortunately.

This isn't a Ken thing, it's been the case our whole AFL history.

Also, we've started favourites in all 15 games so far this year and are favourites again on Thursday night so not much chance of flying under the radar with zero expectation unfortunately.
This is the bit that I don't get. We must have the most 'live and don't learn' betting supporters, to still back us as favourites in these matches.

Against top 5 sides? 0 from 3 so far. These are one's I'm talking about. Everyone knows we can downhill ski with the best.

Melbourne came over and were beaten by the Crows and lost last week. I see no reason the betting shouldn't be fairly even with Port slightly ahead.

Melbourne came over and were beaten by the Crows and lost last week. I see no reason the betting shouldn't be fairly even with Port slightly ahead.
Because the Crows have a much better record against top 5 opposition than we do.

Sack Hinkley

Thats why we are lucky with guys like aliir butters dursma Fantasia Jones Burton they haven't been mentally ****ed by Kenneth yet

Melbourne also smashed a flying WB and Brisbane recently.

Undoubtedly Melbourne are sliding a bit. They're 3-3 in their last 6, so there's something there that says they are beatable. However to dismiss how good they've been because they lost a couple easy games they probably took for granted would be naive as hell.

Melbourne have earned favouritism, and the fact the odds don't reflect that makes a dabble on Melbourne very enticing. They have 1 maybe 2 out of their best 22, we have Gray, Fantasia, Duursma & Jones out, plus our 23rd and probably 24th players in Rockliff and Farrell out. We're also extremely banged up amongst those that actually are playing and facing the 5 day break that's destined to hurt us more than them. Dixon on 1 leg, Boak with a possible hammy, Rozee with a knee issue, Houston been struggling with that shoulder, while Butters and Clurey will be 1st game back from a long lay off is a concern. So there's a lot to say we're well and truly up against it.

That's without considering that all their strengths are things that have proven our kryptonite. They have an extremely good intercept marking defence, something our movement really struggles with. They are also a fantastic contested ball/clearance side with an elite ruck and when we face mids like theirs we've been known to capitulate. Whilst their fwd line is weak, our defence concedes goals with ease when subjected to fast entries, so that's not reassuring anyway. So to win we're going to need to play out of our skin to win the midfield battle and move the ball smoother than we have all year to play around and through their defence.

If we win it'll be an epic performance and we'll definitely be making a statement that we're making our charge. Lose and we learn nothing as we remain at the level we've been for a while, too good for the bottom 13, not good enough for the top 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back