Review Round 17, 2021 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Did that muppet Hinkley go to watch the Melbourne v Giants game last week before the Port game that night?

He would have noticed that the Giants forwards spread out and isolated the Melbourne defenders.

What do we do?

We chip it around and then bomb the ball forward allowing Melbourne to zone back and take intercept mark after mark.

What else would you expect when you have Bassett as a forward's coach who has NFI.

I can't come to terms with the fact that 2 bottom 4 teams have knocked off this Melbourne team in 2021, but we were lucky to get as close as we did (admittedly the Crows had 25 v 22 on their side when they played the Dees). There's just no logic to it - just like the Hinkley game plan.

I personally enjoyed* watching us kick in to the same identical spot all match.

*I did not enjoy.
We've done the same thing throughout all of 2020 and 2021, and probably even in the years before that. It creates congestion which makes it very hard to clear our defensive zone or get quick ball movement. I don't understand why we are so restricted and obvious in our kick-in routine. It has to be a Montgomery thing, which reflects poorly on his own contributions to our game style.

Turn down the sound system it doesn't need to be that loud , I'm 30 not 99 ffs

The volume mixed with the horrid reverberation up in the top tier of the riverbank stand that means you can't understand anything at all is like a form of audio torture. Its like being on nangs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've done the same thing throughout all of 2020 and 2021, and probably even in the years before that. It creates congestion which makes it very hard to clear our defensive zone or get quick ball movement. I don't understand why we are so restricted and obvious in our kick-in routine. It has to be a Montgomery thing, which reflects poorly on his own contributions to our game style.

Yep. What makes it worse is seeing other teams show that it doesn't have to be that way as they waltz it out of our defence with well-placed short kicks.

couldn’t be more pathetic if we tried…
We once played proper football. Over the last couple of months we have reverted back to that slow chippy sideways nonsense, at both levels… it’s pathetic..

The volume mixed with the horrid reverberation up in the top tier of the riverbank stand that means you can't understand anything at all is like a form of audio torture. Its like being on nangs.

lol it just sounds like very loud but unintelligible yelling. You can't even understand a word any of the half time talks with Ginever etc. say as it's just white noise.

For years we have relied on individual brilliance to get goals. Last nigh it was an Amon snap, a Rozee checkside through traffic, a Mckenzie 60m bomb.

Our forward craft is to bomb it to Dixon vs 2 opponents, and half the time we don't even have a crumber front and centre.
True. And our forwards do lack some actual smart forward craft but also it’s kind of a pointless art when instead of running and being at the feet of a contest between tall defenders you’re essentially running into a crowded shopping mall at peak time. Whenever anyone gets it from our forwards who actually do a decent job of bringing it to ground considering the situations our forwards just find themselves surrounded by a mob.
That is spot on. Intercept markers are our downfall.
Most defenders have to think and take some sort of an educated guess / gamble

Are they going to

A) bomb it to the hot spot in front of goal

B) direct a kick to a leading player

C) aim long to a tall target .. which one?

E) kick to a contest near the boundary and take a throw in if they don’t mark it

Defenders v port

Are they going to

A) kick to Charlie

B) kick to the hotspot near goal

It’s just so predictable for defenders

Not sure about this, beating Port at AO is no easier than Brisbane or West Coast on their grounds.

You should have made the GF last year and your best is good enough when Robbie Gray is playing.
Oh friend this is very magnanimous of you but there’s no need for sunshine n rainbows 🌈 in here

Sadly most likely by October Simon Goodwin will have achieved something Ken Hinkley never will a GF appearance and even if he doesn’t he has instilled a system and method of playing we’ve not seen at Port since maybe 2014 (and by that I mean his team plays with one)

Not sure about this, beating Port at AO is no easier than Brisbane or West Coast on their grounds.

Winning %

• Port @ AO (2014-Pres)*: 60.2%

• WCE @ Optus (2018-Pres)**: 79.0%

• Brisbane @ Gabba (2019-Pres)***: 83.8%

*Redevelopment opened
**Stadium opened
***Premiership window re-opened

Spread the word. Unless you’re Gold Coast or North, you’re like a 50/50 shot of getting the W here.

Listening to McClure commentating on the Freo v Haw game today commending the way Freo are entering their forward line with low penetrating kicks. It was something I was going to bring up regarding our kicking on Thursday night. Most of our longer kicks pretty much anywhere on the field were high floaty drop punts. I only noticed it on Thursday night. It was doing my head in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back