Autopsy Round 17 2022 – Port Adelaide vs GWS Giants, Saturday July 9, 7.30PM AEST, Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
There was a lot to like about the way we went about beating the Hawks in pretty poor conditions yesterday. Early on it was an arm wrestle, but you could sense we were gaining confidence and we won comfortably in the end. Best of all there were no new injuries.

Callum Brown was hungry and provided real spark up front, something we haven’t had there for a while, and with four goals it’s hard to believe Keeffe would have done better. Hogan performed well given the conditions and Coniglio continued his rich vein of form. Davis proved he still has something to offer and it was great to see Lloyd kick a goal on return. Overall, a pleasing team effort.

I think Saturday against the Power in Adelaide will be a ripping contest. They are chasing finals and have something to play for, so this will be a fair indication of where we stand. With everyone settling down, we seem a much happier unit than has been the case for a while.

We have some real choices if we want to change the line-up. Preuss is available after suspension so will likely replace Flynn. Hopper made a successful return from injury in the VFL with 18 touches and a goal, so will probably come back at the expense of XOH, or maybe Bruhn. I think Riccardi or Peatling might come back in place of Haynes, who's horribly out of form no matter where he plays.

Port goes into this as heavy favourites, but I think it’s going to be much, much closer than that, and no-one should be surprised if there’s an upset.

Thoughts?

If McVeigh really wants the Head Coach job, then he'll have the team fired up for this one. His previous three wins were against opposition lower on the ladder, and while we played well against Lions, Dogs and Pies we didn't get any of those chocolates. So taking out Port at home, while only one place above us on the ladder, would be a good string to his bow.

Davis back makes our backline look and work better - I agree that he just generals the backline really well, and relieves the pressure on Sam Taylor. HH continues to play well, so that backline of Taylor-Davis-HH-Idun-Cumming-Kennedy-Wehr needs to remain unchanged. Hopefully.

Up front, yes I'll be a broken record and say that Haynes needs to go back to VFL, play in the backline, and recover his mojo. In his place, we can play any of Flynn (if we bring in Preuss as ruck), Riccardi or give Derksen a go. Hogan was sensational in the Hawks game, and starting to hit his straps. I agree that Brown needs to stay in the team - apart from mastering the conditions, his speed will trouble defences, and his kicking was surprisingly textbook and clean. Definitely no need for Keeffe to come back into the forward line, but I would have a second proper forward given Aliir Aliir in the Port backline. I wouldn't mind if Peatling came in, but not really sure his hamstring will be ready - let's not bring him in prematurely only to lose him in the game.

The midfield were solid enough; Hopper needed the run in VFL, but I'm not 100% convinced he's good to go - particularly after a game in the wet he'll be pretty heavy legged, so I'd be content to give him another run in VFL. But. I expect Spike will pick him, in which case either Bruhn or XOH will make way. I'm not convinced that Preuss will return for this either - Flynn didn't do much wrong and Spike has shown that Preuss is no automatic selection.

Port at home will be a hard game, but they too have a few injuries, and if we want to make a statement this year, we just have to get the job done.

I was pretty keen on Port at the start of this season but they've for sure been a let down from their expectations, should be a really good game I rekon it's going to be tough playing over there but think we can do it. Hopper back and maybe Peatling should be a good boost, thought Hopper looked good in the 2s although being tagged most of the day plus another week of game for Taranto to shake the rust off.

In the mix:

Cam Fleeton
finished last week’s VFL game sore, but has pulled up pretty well and continues to push his name forward. Jake Riccardi and Wade Derksen were both lively in the forward line during last week’s extremely wet VFL game and are ready to be called upon, as is Cooper Hamilton, while Will Shaw had the best game of his season and has speed and skill to consider. James Peatling has missed two matches with a hamstring strain, and needs to get through training this week to put his hand up, but Matt de Boer isn’t ready to return from his concussion. Leek Aleer will come back this week via the VFL, and will put pressure on for a senior spot soon.

Bit weird that Hopper didn't get a mention right? Could be nothing

I think because he played last week he's not actually on or near the injury list this week. I expect him to play AFL.
Would've thought we'd get a "Hopper got through his first game back in the VFL unscathed and looked good blah blah", yeah expecting him to play 1s this week as well. Riccardi, Derksen and Hamilton all weren't on the injury report as well yet got a mention.

I'd love to see us play Callum Brown again this week.
Peatling you'd think will put pressure on him though.
XO will come out for Hopper.
I'd love to see Leek played before the end of the year too but I don't see a spot for him unless Haynes doesn't pull up...but given we are playing him forward then Derksen/Ricca would be a better option.

I think the fact that Spike is now coaching 'for the job' affects what is better for the club development wise given where our season is.

Surely Brown kicks another 4 this week 😅

A midfield with Taranto, Hopper and Green is to same same.
It’ll be interesting to see what they do…Playing inside mids out of position is a bad habit of ours.

A midfield with Taranto, Hopper and Green is to same same.
It’ll be interesting to see what they do…Playing inside mids out of position is a bad habit of ours.
I'd agree with that.
Taranto back to the forward line mix with Cogs?
I can't see us not playing one of those guys.

I'd agree with that.
Taranto back to the forward line mix with Cogs?
I can't see us not playing one of those guys.
That’s the problem… we shouldn’t be playing them out of position.
Hence why Taranto leaving at the end of the year is great for our list balance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s the problem… we shouldn’t be playing them out of position.
Hence why Taranto leaving at the end of the year is great for our list balance.
I agree.
Until we cop an injury to Green or Hopper.
Either way I think we have enough guys so cover it until Callaghan hits his straps. Perryman did a great job in the guts for a few weeks.
Love to see some forwards coming back our way in the Taranto trade.

Similar comments from this story about inclusions for the Port game:

The Giants are set to be buoyed by the inclusion of another star midfielder with Jacob Hopper closing in on a return to the team after making his comeback in the VFL last week. McVeigh admitted he'd be "heavily considered" to take on the Power, having been sidelined since suffering a knee injury in the round one loss to Sydney.

The coach is weighing up whether Braydon Preuss returns to the AFL line-up with Matt Flynn continuing his good form in the ruck, but he declared that livewire forward James Peatling will be back in the side for the trip to South Australia.

The GIANTS have made two changes to their side that defeated the Hawks last weekend, recalling Lachlan Keeffe alongside James Peatling, who returns from injury.

The pair will be part of the side that travels to take on Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval on Saturday night.

Keeffe comes back into the team after being a late out for last weekend’s match as the GIANTS opted for a smaller side in the wet conditions.

Late inclusion, Irishman Callum Brown, has retained his spot in the side after kicking four goals against Hawthorn.

Also returning to the forward line is small forward James Peatling.

Star midfielder Jacob Hopper has been named as an emergency after returning to the VFL last Sunday for his first game since round two.

Out of the side is Xavier O’Halloran, who has been omitted, and Connor Idun, who is under the AFL’s health and safety protocols.

Wonder what the go with Hopper is because that is pretty pretty weird also really tall in defence

Last edited:

The GIANTS have made two changes to their side that defeated the Hawks last weekend, recalling Lachlan Keeffe alongside James Peatling, who returns from injury.

The pair will be part of the side that travels to take on Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval on Saturday night.

Keeffe comes back into the team after being a late out for last weekend’s match as the GIANTS opted for a smaller side in the wet conditions.

Late inclusion, Irishman Callum Brown, has retained his spot in the side after kicking four goals against Hawthorn.

Also returning to the forward line is small forward James Peatling.

Star midfielder Jacob Hopper has been named as an emergency after returning to the VFL last Sunday for his first game since round two.

Out of the side is Xavier O’Halloran, who has been omitted, and Connor Idun, who is under the AFL’s health and safety protocols.

Wow. What does Haynes need to do to get dropped? Hope he rewards the faith and turns it around this week.

Surprised Haynes stays in the team so he must be doing something right (Not his goal kicking) so maybe back to defence for this game

Port too much scoring power in the fwd half so should be able to get it done easily even if they lose the midfield numbers

Well done to Ash for 50 games

Interesting with Hopper not in the 23 shows how unbalanced the list is with inside only mids and how the current coaches see that and understand the need for more runners over the field but I am sure he will be back next week after such a long break

Would like to see Brown and Peatling to have good games, mids to win the contest, more pressure over the field and sticking tackles and no injuries

Watching the Swans and particularly Blakey taking the game on from halfback last night I was reminded of Lachie Ash and wonder where he will end up as a player. He started off showing so much as a dashing halfback and then had it stifled out of him through the previous game plan. I’d love to see him back to his dashing ways with several bounces per game through the end of the season without worrying about the odd turnover. He, Whitfield, Cumming (and Callaghan next year) dashing through the centre would surely give the forwards confidence to lead away from their usual stagnant cluster at the top of the goal square.
Hopefully they continue with the attacking game plan tonight and don’t so readily go back into their shells and start chipping it around.

He, Whitfield, Cumming (and Callaghan next year) dashing through the centre would surely give the forwards confidence to lead away from their usual stagnant cluster at the top of the goal square.
Hopefully they continue with the attacking game plan tonight and don’t so readily go back into their shells and start chipping it around.
Potentially add Fahey also. :thumbsu:

Gameday
Gameday ... anyone in Adelaide with a weather update? BOM forecast says a slight chance of rain until early evening, so hopefully dry for the game so we can bring our recently returned running game to the fore.

ADL wx.png

I'm unhappy about Keeffe coming back in and Haynes staying - don't know how that will play out as to who plays in defence in place of Idun. We might put Keeffe to Dixon when he goes forward, Taylor & HH to 2 out of Georgiades/Marshall/Finlayson so I guess it works with no-one really doing the Idun role; smalls & mediums (Ash/Cumming/Wehr) to their small brigade (Gray/Butters/SPP).

Port v GWS.png

I'd love to knock off Port at home - they haven't been great this year so are vulnerable; but of course, we've been pretty poor - so can McVeigh produce a gameplan capable of knocking them off at home.

Go GIANTS!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back