Review Round 17, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

For 2023

Forwards:
Daniher
Hipwood
Cameron
McCarthy
Bailey (~15% mid)
Rayner (~10% mid)
Fort/McInerney

Backs:
Andrews
Adams
Gardiner/Payne
Starcevich
Answerth
Rich
Coleman

Mids:
Fort/McInerney
Neale
Lyons
McCluggage
Berry
Ashcroft
Ah Chee
Prior

I think Prior is out of contract. We have Dev on contract till 2023.
Let's see if we manage to keep both this off season.

This is some of the stuff you have posted- drop Hipwood, Cockatoo is pathetic, our game plan is pathetic, ‘wish I got paid 100’s of thousands of dollars to chew gum on the bench’, sack Fagan, then sack all of the coaches- I could go on. Then above you suggest your posts are logical and composed. Friggin hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Half a dozen posters are saying similar things of varying degrees. We have issues as a club and it needs to be discussed. This is what a forum is about. Got to throw a dead cat on the table to sometimes provoke discussion. Yes, I can sometimes go OTT but I'm passionate. I'm loyal to Brisbane.

It may well be all rosy from your point of view and I respect that but from my POV we aren't there yet. It's not just no name posters like myself on BigFooty who are raising these concerns but now the media is starting to publish puff pieces. You can say who cares what footy journo's think but I can tell you it starts eating away at the club. They hear this, they see it. Fagan going at poor Fish who wrote a sentence he didn't appreciate is testament to the pressure Fagan is heaping on himself.

Things have to change or we continue down the path of an 'almost' team. This is where Fagan can control the narrative. He either dips in or he dips out. Identify the issues that are starting to plague the club and act on it, or just continue the doing the same things and hoping we somehow get better. He has a chance to go from a good coach to a great coach if he wants to. His call.

Too early to say with the blues, their list is straight up unsustainable long term. No way do they retain all of those players, wouldn’t be surprised if one of McKay or Curnow goes especially - next to impossible to keep both of them with the salaries they’re going to command, plus their midfield is all big young names that are going to command big contracts in the future too.
Great we'll do them a favour and take Harry McKay and Patrick Cripps to ease their salary cap pressure .... they'll have to pay a portion of their salary though.:D

If Rayner or Bailey went to a team with a stacked midfield like Melbourne, Geelong, Freo or bulldogs they'd probably be playing as forwards. It's getting to the stage where we might have to do the same and look at adding pure midfielders
Yes. That was my point. We've reached the stage where we need to make a list decision on what our midfield will look like next year and beyond and do something about it.

If Rayner or Bailey went to a team with a stacked midfield like Melbourne, Geelong, Freo or bulldogs they'd probably be playing as forwards. It's getting to the stage where we might have to do the same and look at adding pure midfielders
I honestly think we have too many forwards we play mid.
Think it a double edged sword. I do not think you rest anywhere like you did 10 years ago.
Charlie was in the back pocket helping out last week.
I think running Rayner, Bailey etc in the midfield. Means they have less gas in the tank when they play forward.
Pretty sure Charlie said that last year when he was doing more mid minutes took it out of him.

We gone for lots of forwards we like to run through the mid.
Instead of mids we play a few mins forward. I think it shows.

Think it a double edged sword. I do not think you rest anywhere like you did 10 years ago.
I think running Rayner, Bailey etc in the midfield. Means they have less gas in the tank when they play forward.
Pretty sure Charlie said that last year when he was doing more mid minutes took it out of him.

Agreed was even worse earlier in the year when we had Cockatoo and Lohmann playing

But they expected Bailey and Rayner to be the midfielders who rest forward but they're not there yet

Bailey is more valuable to us as a small forward, Zac, Charlie and Linc would be an extremely dangerous small forward brigade, Charlie is a 50+ goals per season player, IMO Zac would be similar if permanently forward and Linc is a 30+ goal a year forward.

I'm still of the opinion that Rayner could turn into a damaging 60mid/40fwd Dusty lite type... has improved his endurance, needs a couple more big pre seasons though.

honestly even though I like 2 rucks..
It be worth dropping a tall for one game play Rayner, Linc, Charlie, Bailey and 2 of Joe/McStay/Hipwood.
Play Dev as a full time mid for a few games.

Our low ‘bounce’ numbers are astonishing
All the elite midfields have quick hands in congestion (dogs, dees, cats etc). That is one area that is almost non-existent for us. The hack kick or kick off the ground will work sometime for chaos ball but seems to be easily countered by competent teams. I would love to see some focus on work in tight by hand.

Half a dozen posters are saying similar things of varying degrees. We have issues as a club and it needs to be discussed. This is what a forum is about. Got to throw a dead cat on the table to sometimes provoke discussion. Yes, I can sometimes go OTT but I'm passionate. I'm loyal to Brisbane.

It may well be all rosy from your point of view and I respect that but from my POV we aren't there yet. It's not just no name posters like myself on BigFooty who are raising these concerns but now the media is starting to publish puff pieces. You can say who cares what footy journo's think but I can tell you it starts eating away at the club. They hear this, they see it. Fagan going at poor Fish who wrote a sentence he didn't appreciate is testament to the pressure Fagan is heaping on himself.

Things have to change or we continue down the path of an 'almost' team. This is where Fagan can control the narrative. He either dips in or he dips out. Identify the issues that are starting to plague the club and act on it, or just continue the doing the same things and hoping we somehow get better. He has a chance to go from a good coach to a great coach if he wants to. His call.
I know you have your knockers and maybe at times over the years you’ve made me raise my eyebrows even but everything you’ve said since the last weekends game I agree with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So players continually having the negative parts of their game pointed out is not putting them down? What is it a positive thing? So you mentioned these negative about players and then say Fagan is being ‘out coached’/ which is it? Players or Fagan? I would love to hear your analysis on how those teams you mentioned changed there game plan-do tell.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It’s both.

I mentioned those teams, because some of the various footy shows explained what they did different to combat the opposition strengths, and showed footage to go along with their explanations.

Sometimes the footage is shown at half time by the commentary team, more often it’s shown on First Crack on Kayo, after the round has finished.

Many of these examples have been discussed here after it was shown on Fox/Kayo as most of the teams used those tactics against Melbourne, or it’s the panel showing how Melbourne is beating teams.

So it’s not my analysis, it’s segments of the footy media analysing teams changing their style of play, both defensive and offensive.

Whether it be Hawthorn playing a winger outside of Langdon to stop his influence on the wing, and playing a tall defender always behind May, so he can’t come up to impact in their zone defence.

Geelong playing around the midfield and Gawn, limiting his impact.

Sydney putting more numbers at every contest, creating more pressure on disposal and out working Melbourne.

Fremantle doing the same as Sydney and incorporating some of Hawthorn’s defence.

This is the internet. Expect snarc.

Interesting debate. But i didnt join bigfooty to be part of a debating society.

Footy was the peoples game. It has been taken over by private schoolboys, gutter crawling journos, pontificating talking heads, pseudo-intellectuals and spivs in suits.

I go to the footy, watch footy and follow the footy so i can experience the gamut of emotions. I havent been around this forum long enough to understand the founding philosophy but i expect that a forum would reflect the experiences of a footy fan and not reduce us to emoji posting, cold rationalists operating in a safe place.
Erm 🫤

Strangely enough the bottom 8 teams for bounces are the top 4 and 3 of the bottom 4 from the regular ladder.

Yeah I’m not sure if it’s a good or bad thing, just one of the things where when you think about it - you realise, oh yeah, we don’t bounce it.

All the elite midfields have quick hands in congestion (dogs, dees, cats etc). That is one area that is almost non-existent for us. The hack kick or kick off the ground will work sometime for chaos ball but seems to be easily countered by competent teams. I would love to see some focus on work in tight by hand.

Yeah we don’t ping it around much do we, I think we just want to get it in 50 and let our forwards go to work or create a stoppage.

Yeah we don’t ping it around much do we, I think we just want to get it in 50 and let our forwards go to work or create a stoppage.
I've been thinking for a couple of years we could go better with what we've got but now with a couple of players losing a bit ,covid , and basically a battle to win every week to stay in the game the chances of trying anything different this year are zero.

I'm wondering if we could do something different with Rich whenever he plays again. He's been doing exactly the same thing for a while now with decreasing effectiveness as time goes on.
I know he getting on and not super fast although 5 mins in the mid now and then. Just for a change
Same as Starc not saying run him as a mid only.. If things not working why not try him
or Ah Chee or just someone else apart from those not seeming to work well.

Said this as well we seem to rotate half forwards in the mid
not Half backs. Apart from Zorko although problem is that 2 or 3 games he not played out this year.
We had to use sub early for

It will all be gravy once we win the premiership this year.:)
Oh my that is such an optimistic post!!!!

- I am sure there will be ones who don't feel we deserved it (eg if we finish 8th and all three of our games are against sides ravaged by covid with 10-15 of their best players out)

- I am sure that some will bemoan that while we might have won one flag our team is not good enough to win two (or three)

- I am sure that some will suggest that the victory was tarnished by [loyal club stalwart] not playing

- If we win but someone else knocked the Demons out during the final's series some will feel that an asterisk would need to be added

If there is anything recent events have shown us is that Big Footy Lion's Board Group-Think is not the strongest force on the internet and I am utterly certain that while there will be a certain amount or generic rejoicing should there be a maroon blue and gold plus silver cup group photo there will also be plenty of ... alternate options presented.

And honestly how boring would it be if all we did was agree with each other ;)

Back