Preview Round 17, 2022: St.Kilda v Fremantle - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 9th July, 7:25PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • Dockers

Votes: 22 40.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does that leave Webster?
I'd play Hill lining up at half forward, but essentially using his running power to get back and provide run off half back and overlap to half forward. Will utilise his running power more, give him a chance to generate quality i50 and reduce his defensive liability. I like Joyce and Highmore in for Howard and Clark as well😀

I'd play Hill lining up at half forward, but essentially using his running power to get back and provide run off half back and overlap to half forward. Will utilise his running power more, give him a chance to generate quality i50 and reduce his defensive liability. I like Joyce and Highmore in for Howard and Clark as well😀
It’s pretty hard to generate run from half forward I doubt they move him. If they do and freo tag sinclair which I’m nearly certain they will do where does our run come from?

It’s pretty hard to generate run from half forward I doubt they move him. If they do and freo tag sinclair which I’m nearly certain they will do where does our run come from?
We used him like that in games this year and Hill himself said in an interview that's what he think would be his preferred position and why

Yes we have but I reckon they are now going to tag sinclair especially as it worked against Sydney and then Carlton didn’t bother.
In my view Hill could still be creating a lot of run off half back although lining up at half forward. Also we should be using his running power more. He hasn't been in the top 5 for distance run the last 2 games. Personally I would expect him to be given that's 1 of his biggest strenghts

If we can play like we did on Friday I think we're a great chance to beat Freo and win the next few after that. The challenge to the team is to find that consistency.

Our forward line worked a lot better this week, I'm sure that's to do with the way the whole team was playing. Hopefully Butler can keep that form for the rest of the year.

One of the more pleasing things on Friday was Zak Jones' second half. He's crucial to our chances, when he's getting clearances our midfield becomes a lot better.

Every game is huge from now on, but even moreso these ones against top eight teams.

Could the six day v eight day break be an advantage? Hopefully Freo get a bruising game today.

The last time we played them we didn’t have Howard or Clark then either, so it’s the same this time, and on top of that:

Out: D-Mac (?), Hayes, Paton (?), Byrnes, Lienert
In: Ryder, Jones, Billings, Windy, Highmore (?)

So while Freo are likely to have a stronger team this time (albeit without the 🐐 and probably Switkowski, and maybe others), so are we. I’d take Ryder and Jones over any of the “outs”.

I hope we don’t focus our game on negating their players. Back ourselves in.
If we play like Friday we can roll them

I think we can still improve on Fridays game as well

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how come Cats, Port and Dees got easier draws than us??
No idea. All I know is it’s broken into groups of 6. You get either 2 or 3 from your group and one or two from the other groups. Unfortunately we only got 2 from our group and that meant two from another group. We got 2 from the best group. We could have got 2 from the bottom group.

No idea. All I know is it’s broken into groups of 6. You get either 2 or 3 from your group and one or two from the other groups. Unfortunately we only got 2 from our group and that meant two from another group. We got 2 from the best group. We could have got 2 from the bottom group.
There’s nothing equitable about the whole fixture.

There’s nothing equitable about the whole fixture.
No it’s impossible but I do like the groups because it’s usually gives the best sides a harder fixture and the worst sides an easier fixture. We are unlucky that one of our group in freo has improved by a lot. Also the other in our group Sydney actually finished 6th but lost their first final so ended up in our group. We could have got Essendon and west coast then it would be great. Melbourne potential had a hard start to the year but the good sides were out of form so it ended up a great start.

You'd think young Japanese prospect Darragu Joycuru gets the nod this week
Highmore - Battle - Wilkie
Would he be one to many talls

Highmore - Battle - Wilkie
Would he be one to many talls
I reckon Highmore - Webster - Wilkie are the intercepting, mobile types and Battle/Joyce as the key backs.

Would say something like

Webster - Joyce - Wilkie
Sinclair - Battle - Hill

Throw Highmore and Paton on the bench and move Sinclair and Hill to the wings if needed. Regardless I reckon Highmore definitely has to play and if we can fit him in he has to play the rest of the year too. Joyce for Howard seems like a straight swap for mine.

I reckon Highmore - Webster - Wilkie are the intercepting, mobile types and Battle/Joyce as the key backs.

Would say something like

Webster - Joyce - Wilkie
Sinclair - Battle - Hill

Throw Highmore and Paton on the bench and move Sinclair and Hill to the wings if needed. Regardless I reckon Highmore definitely has to play and if we can fit him in he has to play the rest of the year too. Joyce for Howard seems like a straight swap for mine.
Agree Highmore has to play

Freo have a couple of good quick smalls, just worry about them a bit

Agree Highmore has to play

Freo have a couple of good quick smalls, just worry about them a bit
I was going to add to my last post but left it as is but what I was going to say is I think we have players that may be taller but can play on smalls. Paton is the obvious matchup for smalls but I reckon Wilkie & Webster both can play on those types.

When we beat them in Round 2 the backline was named as;

Wilkie - Battle - Joyce
Sinclair - McKenzie - Webster
Hill on a wing

Kept Walters to 8 disposals and a goal and Colyer the only small who kicked multiple goals (2 from 12 touches).

I think we have a better selection of players to pick from this week. From the last time we met we can bring in Paton & Highmore. Think we go in with a stronger backline this week than we did back then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back