Preview Round 17, 2022: St.Kilda v Fremantle - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 9th July, 7:25PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • Dockers

Votes: 22 40.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayes4PM

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I do not mean to disparage Darragu-san, but I'd rather bring in Highmore from what I saw yesterday and just ask Battle to do his best and hope Highmore can be the 3rd man up more often than not and float in and help against Taberner. Carlton showed pressure and quick rebounds against Freo can beat them at their own game, whoever comes in for Hunter has to have some toe and defensive pressure. If D-Mac is back fit and firing I'd like it to be him.

I do not mean to disparage Darragu-san, but I'd rather bring in Highmore from what I saw yesterday and just ask Battle to do his best and hope Highmore can be the 3rd man up more often than not and float in and help against Taberner. Carlton showed pressure and quick rebounds against Freo can beat them at their own game, whoever comes in for Hunter has to have some toe and defensive pressure. If D-Mac is back fit and firing I'd like it to be him.

I'd bring in Joyce myself. We held the dam wall back for a while in the Carlton game but you wouldn't want to have to play four quarters without a tall back.

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
Let the Irishman play his natural game.

7BF54711-8024-4DF5-ACF0-6411E9DAC1A7.jpeg

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I'd bring in Joyce myself. We held the dam wall back for a while in the Carlton game but you wouldn't want to have to play four quarters without a tall back.
Joyce would play on lobb or Darcy. Tabener probably gets wilkie and then battle maybe Logue if forward. If ratts thinks battle can play on the resting ruck then that would be a better option and then highmore plays. Not sure battle can play on those giants.

Sep 27, 2012
Behind You
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
Joyce would play on lobb or Darcy. Tabener probably gets wilkie and then battle maybe Logue if forward. If ratts thinks battle can play on the resting ruck then that would be a better option and then highmore plays. Not sure battle can play on those giants.
If ever it is a week for 4 tall defenders its against Freo.
Bring in Highmore & Joyce for Howard and Clark.
On a positive to this none of them are slow so can adapt and rebound still

Byrnes or Long as sub.

I would love to see DMac come in for Wood as we have enough talls if we have 4 talls defensively and 3 talls fwd.
However after 4 weeks out and coming off a calf that was injured at non contact training he needs a run for Sandy first.
Unless Leo is tearing it up at training I think Wood stays

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
If ever it is a week for 4 tall defenders its against Freo.
Bring in Highmore & Joyce for Howard and Clark.
On a positive to this none of them are slow so can adapt and rebound still

Byrnes or Long as sub.

I would love to see DMac come in for Wood as we have enough talls if we have 4 talls defensively and 3 talls fwd.
However after 4 weeks out and coming off a calf that was injured at non contact training he needs a run for Sandy first.
Unless Leo is tearing it up at training I think Wood stays
Do they also have 4 tall forwards though? I wish they thought battle could play on lobb because I don’t see a match up otherwise. Well especially if highmore plays.

D2D3

Club Legend
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

I could see Battle playing on Fyfe if he spends most of his time forward still

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Lack of tall defenders was always an issue that's why i was surprised we didn't look at someone (anyone) at the mid season draft. Other than Joyce the only other tall defender we have is Oscar Adams and he was already out with his back injury.

Anyhow its down to Joyce now - hopefully its only 4 to 6 for Howard but its likely he won't be back this year.

Lack of tall defenders was always an issue that's why i was surprised we didn't look at someone (anyone) at the mid season draft. Other than Joyce the only other tall defender we have is Oscar Adams and he was already out with his back injury.

Anyhow its down to Joyce now - hopefully its only 4 to 6 for Howard but its likely he won't be back this year.

We play three tall back in Howard, Wilkie and Battle. You imagine only Howard looks like he could potentially be upgraded and Joyce is an experienced depth back. Adams as a development project. To me you don't bother unless you can make a significant upgrade on the existing ones.

Mowman said McKay from North might be of interest so you'd imagine that would be an upgrade on Howard. You only have 6 backs and if Hill and Sincs are two, carrying four talls leaves you lumberingly tall.

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Wood to stay in and play wing and help out in defense. Wilkie, Highmore, Joyce (who is deceptively faster than he looks) and Battle to play as a collective unit.
Or, out of the box thinking, but what do some of you think of putting Campbell in and having Marshall in defense to plug the hole and take a grab? Probably means Joyce misses, but gives us an extra big bloke who isn't the worst back up going around.
Thoughts?

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Wood to stay in and play wing and help out in defense. Wilkie, Highmore, Joyce (who is deceptively faster than he looks) and Battle to play as a collective unit.
Or, out of the box thinking, but what do some of you think of putting Campbell in and having Marshall in defense to plug the hole and take a grab? Probably means Joyce misses, but gives us an extra big bloke who isn't the worst back up going around.
Thoughts?
A huge no on Campbell and moving Marshall. Most likely Joyce and highmore in but I’d rather highmore or Joyce and a smaller player like Paton or long. Not a rap for either but not many options due to injury.

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
A huge no on Campbell and moving Marshall. Most likely Joyce and highmore in but I’d rather highmore or Joyce and a smaller player like Paton or long. Not a rap for either but not many options due to injury.
Yeah, yours is probably the most likely scenario...just trying to think of something that would combat their talks, but also throw the cat among the pigeons. It would probably make us too slow though.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd leave Highmore in for Clark. He's easily at the standard and he can play tall or small. 12 touches in half a game. Isn't a cumbersome tall that wrecks the structure. Joyce for Howard. If McKenzie is back I'd probably have Wood go back out.

+2

I'd look at dropping Billings instead of Wood and moving Nas up the ground where he can be more damaging.
Wood and Dmac strengthen our defense significantly.
Looking forward to seeing Highmore and Joyce hopefully. If one or both can hold their place after Doogs is fit we'll be much better for it.

Apr 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ok so Howard and Clark obviously out. Highmore and wood the only others who could be. Joyce in if freo have to many key talls otherwise no. No idea for Clark unless McKenzie or owens can get up. If they don’t I suppose it’s long which isn’t a great option. All of a sudden a lot of players missing. Tough game. Have them slight favourites but they obviously haven’t played yet. It’s all about paddy and Marshall versus darcy and lobb.
The midfield battle will be hugely important. If they get it out of them middle too easily we'll be in trouble. We have to at least break even and make sure there is some pressure on their forward 50 entries.

Yabadoo22

All Australian
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Out:
Howard, Clark

In:
Joyce, highmore

B: Webster Joyce Wilkie
Hb: Sinclair battle hill
C: billings crouch wanganeen
Hf: higgins membrey windhager
F: butler king Marshall
Foll: Ryder Steele Gresham
Int: highmore Ross jones wood
Sub: liernert

If dmac is good to go he comes in for wood

Sainter1873

Senior List
Jul 1, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not convinced that Battle, Wilkie and Highmore is big enough to stop Lobb, Taberner and whoever else rests forward. That would really stretch us.

I'd say Joyce for Howard and maybe McKenzie or Highmore for Clark.

Tough game even with Howard and Clark.

Jade Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
The one positive coming out of Howard’s injury is that Joyce may get a look in for 4 to 6 weeks. Poor bugger has spent his career in the 1sts being the plug in for 1 week then dropped the next despite playing some reasonable games.
I wouldn’t judge him on a couple of games but from the duration. He may just gain confidence and the belief in his ability at the level.
He’s a good stopper, reasonable speed, good kick. Reliable.
Let’s see.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thoughts?
Option A please

Jade Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thoughts?
Wilkie, Highmore, Joyce and Battle sounds good to me. Add in our architects in Sincs and Hilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back