Review Round 17, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. West Coast

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• [1] Kai Lohmann (sub)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [2] Dev Robertson

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • [3] Joe Daniher

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • [6] Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 72 61.5%
  • [8] Will Ashcroft

Votes: 111 94.9%
  • [9] Lachie Neale

Votes: 83 70.9%
  • [14] James Madden

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

Votes: 46 39.3%
  • [17] Jarryd Lyons

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • [18] Keidean Coleman

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • [19] Jack Gunston

Votes: 109 93.2%
  • [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipeood

• [31] Harris Andrews

Votes: 89 76.1%
  • [33] Zac Bailey

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • [40] Jack Payne

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • [44] Darcy Wilmot

Votes: 11 9.4%
  • [48] Oscar McInerney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you been hit in the face by hail? Because I have....
Weirdly it's almost got sunny here now after the sideways rain.

I’m accepting apologies in this thread from all of the cowards who said mean things about my boy Gunners.

VINDICATED.

Last edited:
I’m accepting apologies in this thread from all of he cowards who said mean things about my boy Gunners.

VINDICATED.

I am so sorry for doubting king Gunston

Take the points and run. Never got out of second gear and still won by 80.

Gunston was great, credit where it is due. Rayner and Ashcroft best on ground. Fletcher is silky and will keep popping in and out of games as he matures but the signs there are fantastic. Madden likely marked now like Prior, unlikely to make it at the Lions sadly.

Interesting to see what happens next week if Berry, Dunkley, Ah Chee and McCarthy are all fit to return. Obviously Madden and Lyons drop out but not sure who the other two to drop out would be.

Must beat the Demons next week. Fun afternoon in the sun today where we barely got out of 2nd gear but huge business at the MCG next week.

West Coast clearly wanted to limit the damage and we were a bit wayward but 81 bloody points and some acting like we only won by 20-30. Perfect day out, got our % boost, no injuries and no wear on the bodies.

Was good to see Jack have a solid game but it won’t be as easy next week, I hope that he pops up again. I’ll be going to the game with my humble pie signed by Gunston.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m accepting apologies in this thread from all of he cowards who said mean things about my boy Gunners.

VINDICATED.
Not really, no one has said he isn’t excellent with ball in hand. Because he is, yes he looks better but against the eagles doesn’t mean much either.
What everyone was worried about and some even called, was that he or the club would choose to bring him back against the Eagles, he would have a good game and then would be a liability once we play top teams. Jayden Hunt isn’t noted for his key defence playing capabilities.

Handy percentage booster. Great to see Will dominate.
Holding them to 5 goals is a great effort.
What a test next week, hope they give Kai a full game.

VINDICATED.
Played his way into subs spot next week.

Team on a hiding to nothing. Great first 20 minutes, then treaded water for the rest of the game.

Andrews, Ashcroft, Payne, Gunston and Payne for me.

Not really, no one has said he isn’t excellent with ball in hand. Because he is, yes he looks better but against the eagles doesn’t mean much either.
What everyone was worried about and some even called, was that he or the club would choose to bring him back against the Eagles, he would have a good game and then would be a liability once we play top teams. Jayden Hunt isn’t noted for his key defence playing capabilities.

This doesn’t seem like an apology at all

Unfortunately he things we usually do poorly we weren’t able to execute better despite the lack of opposition.

Gunston the positive but that’s it and a few worries including Charlie.

Dunkley clearly a huge upgrade on Lyons
Clearly, and I thought our run in general was impacted but we had so many outs that I’m not ready just to put it down to those who came in that we know aren’t great runners. But I am confident to say the team we had last week wins by more than 81 points, comfortably.

Credit where it’s due Jack was bloody good today, but this was quite literally what the people who had reservations about his selection were worried about.

It wasn’t about the goals, it was about how he and the rest of the forwardline functioned without the ball. A game against the Eagles was never telling us that.

FWIW I thought they were able to move the ball not to badly from their back half, certainly seemed to be getting quite a few uncontested marks. Is that Jack’s fault? Of course not, the pressure was always going to be off for the whole team when the game was over halfway through the first quarter.

He has bought himself an opportunity for next week though, against what will be a far superior opposition so credit to him for that.

Would have nice to kick a bit straighter. Good to keep them to 5 goals. Take the 4 points and move on.

The Eagles were terrible and just parked a lot of players behind the ball, chipped it around the back half and then turned it over. At least some of their defensive players got a lot of stats I suppose.

Andrews, Ashcroft, Jack, Starc and Wilmott got my votes for their 4 quarter efforts. Wilmott probably a bit lucky but he is one of my favourites.

Back