Review Round 17, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. West Coast

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• [1] Kai Lohmann (sub)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [2] Dev Robertson

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • [3] Joe Daniher

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • [6] Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 72 61.5%
  • [8] Will Ashcroft

Votes: 111 94.9%
  • [9] Lachie Neale

Votes: 83 70.9%
  • [14] James Madden

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

Votes: 46 39.3%
  • [17] Jarryd Lyons

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • [18] Keidean Coleman

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • [19] Jack Gunston

Votes: 109 93.2%
  • [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipeood

• [31] Harris Andrews

Votes: 89 76.1%
  • [33] Zac Bailey

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • [40] Jack Payne

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • [44] Darcy Wilmot

Votes: 11 9.4%
  • [48] Oscar McInerney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a concerning number of Very Upset people in this thread with a poor understanding of reality.

Just like always.

We don't become footy fans because the rest of our life is constant razzle dazzle and we need somewhere to chill out.

Had a different gameday experience as my son had work commitments so the better half came.
So instead of a few brewskies and a burger we started at Pincadia for a pre lunch bourbon , then off to Enoteca italian restaurant.
Bit of fine dining and wine.
Good food and service, chatted with the waiter about going to Italy next year , great experience and start to the day, totally recommend.
Then off to the footy. The walk over there was a little blurry,( not surprised after one bourbon, half bottle of Pino and a montenegro shot at the end:drunk:(why not).
So our normal seats are left of the interchange 7 rows off the fence lower level.
Watched the game there for the first half.
Then after half time went up the top tier where our neigbours sit, section 424 about 6 or so rows off the balcony , so not at the back.
But I still like being closer to the action, and it's hard to say that was due to the game itself.
Good to get a different shot of the game all the same.
Perfect height to player watch , but I do like the energy at the lower level , and close to the interchange bench).
Great day at the footy.

Had a different gameday experience as my son had work commitments so the better half came.
So instead of a few brewskies and a burger we started at Pincadia for a pre lunch bourbon , then off to Enoteca italian restaurant.
Bit of fine dining and wine.
Good food and service, chatted with the waiter about going to Italy next year , great experience and start to the day, totally recommend.
Then off to the footy. The walk over there was a little blurry,( not surprised after one bourbon, half bottle of Pino and a montenegro shot at the end:drunk:(why not).
So our normal seats are left of the interchange 7 rows off the fence lower level.
Watched the game there for the first half.
Then after half time went up the top tier where our neigbours sit, section 424 about 6 or so rows off the balcony , so not at the back.
But I still like being closer to the action, and it's hard to say that was due to the game itself.
Good to get a different shot of the game all the same.
Perfect height to player watch , but I do like the energy at the lower level , and close to the interchange bench).
Great day at the footy.

Sounds lovely, I’ve meant to go to Enoteca. I’m sure the food was excellent. I didn’t realise it was open for lunch.

My match day lunch was a little different, I had an equisite pastry filled with meat with a rich gravy and paired it with a lovely bottle of bubbly.

And by that I mean I bought a pie and bottle of coke at the ground.

Not sure you’ve watched him closely to then.

Does a handful of very good things defensively each game but otherwise is average.

Worst part is that he lacks effort quite often.

How closely do other teams designated attacking half backs stick to their opponents?

Kiddy had our second most intercept possessions on the weekend and we know how damaging he is with the footy
I've been critical of Kiddy in the past and especially his fitness where he can drop off his defensive intensity late in games. Definitely someone who can be caught out jogging back when he chooses not to go.

But I also think its part of the game plan with one very attacking back flanker who drops off their man a lot and does run across to intercept a fair bit. Same role as Rich used to play until he slowed up and struggled to bridge the gap. Kiddy I think is playing this role now and has the freedom to leave his man a lot. It comes with a lot of times where he will get caught out with his man no where near him and the rest of the defence have to scramble to cover the overlap

I've been critical of Kiddy in the past and especially his fitness where he can drop off his defensive intensity late in games. Definitely someone who can be caught out jogging back when he chooses not to go.

But I also think its part of the game plan with one very attacking back flanker who drops off their man a lot and does run across to intercept a fair bit. Same role as Rich used to play until he slowed up and struggled to bridge the gap. Kiddy I think is playing this role now and has the freedom to leave his man a lot. It comes with a lot of times where he will get caught out with his man no where near him and the rest of the defence have to scramble to cover the overlap
Do you think the role also requires a defensive winger to be pushing down back to help cover the rebounding defender should the ball get turned over? I believe our wings push back pretty hard into defence just wondering if covering a defenders man/space is part of the reason why they can have really quiet games sometimes.

Coaches votes:

Harris Andrews (BL)
Lachie Neale (BL)
Jack Gunston (BL)
Brady Hough (WCE)
Cameron Rayner (BL)
Will Ashcroft (BL)

The 2 votes for Hough have to be from the WCE coaching staff right? I think he was on Charlie and did a decent job but a bit ridiculous that any WCE player got a vote.

Coaches votes:

Harris Andrews (BL)
Lachie Neale (BL)
Jack Gunston (BL)
Brady Hough (WCE)
Cameron Rayner (BL)
Will Ashcroft (BL)

The 2 votes for Hough have to be from the WCE coaching staff right? I think he was on Charlie and did a decent job but a bit ridiculous that any WCE player got a vote.

Couldn’t even tell you who Hough is

Coaches votes:

Harris Andrews (BL)
Lachie Neale (BL)
Jack Gunston (BL)
Brady Hough (WCE)
Cameron Rayner (BL)
Will Ashcroft (BL)

Keeping Charlie to 0 goals when it was down that end for pretty much the entire game is pretty impressive upon reflection.

Do you think the role also requires a defensive winger to be pushing down back to help cover the rebounding defender should the ball get turned over? I believe our wings push back pretty hard into defence just wondering if covering a defenders man/space is part of the reason why they can have really quiet games sometimes.
This makes sense to me... I posted something along the same lines in preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn’t even tell you who Hough is
artworks-000004852078-ld0gsh-t500x500.jpg

A thought about our accuracy in front of goal, or lack thereof. I was commenting on game day that even though we were missing a lot of set shots, they were mostly from long range and/or on an angle, so they were a lot of 50/50s. Then again, they are called 50/50s not 0/100s, yet we still missed all of them so 🤷‍♂️

But on the other hand, we did kick one or two from the boundary, and our expected score was only 122, so we weren't far off. This says to me that despite kicking 16-20, it wasn't as horrendous as our (and my) knee jerk reactions suggested.

On the other hand, we scored 134 against Richmond compared to our expected score of 120. Again, 20-14 is hardly freakishly accurate but expected score indicated we were actually more accurate than expected. Swings and roundabouts.

What all this does indicate to me is that if we're going to be critical of anything, it's less our goal kicking accuracy and more the location of our shots.

We seem to be addressing our issues with conceding intercept marks inside 50 by saying "let's not kick long to the top of the square, let's lower our eyes instead and hit up the short leading target."

This all sounds great in theory, but it means we're getting lower quality scoring opportunities. So to me the solution is not lowering the eyes... That's fool's gold. The solution is getting a better aerial contest from our tall forwards. We were bloody good in this regard from rounds 4 to 9, before Charlie Ballard really got hold of Eric Hipwood in Round 10.

Since then, we've given far too many intercept marks to opposing key defenders, particularly the last 3 games. I thought playing Gunston would help alleviate this, with a third tall forward limiting the opposition's ability to zone off and create 2 on 1's, but no not a bit of it.

So I'm now really questioning the merits of the 3 tall forward setup... If we're playing 3 tall forwards and still conceding a truckload of intercept marks, why bother? Why not just play the 2, accept that we're going to get outmarked regularly inside 50, but have a stronger and faster team defence that constricts the opposition's ability to move the ball?

This means I'm still not playing Gunston. Yes he kicked 6 but he got on the end of a lot of good passages of play from the rest of the team, and his performance was almost completely devoid of the defensive intent that Ah Chee brought in spades against Richmond.

For similar reasons I'm also not playing Lyons. Let's be honest... The quickest he moved for the entire day was when he got that 50m penalty in the last quarter and couldn't get up over the wing to take his kick quickly enough. If he had that same intent when we don't have the ball I'd be happy to keep him in the side. But, he doesn't. He jogs around, slow as treacle. Dunkley is hardly a racehorse himself but the contrast between the two is chalk and cheese, and it's basically all between the ears it seems.

Our transition defence looked the most porous it has since the Sydney game on Saturday, and I can't help but think it underlines how important having Dunkley or a similar-minded defensive midfield presence is to its success.

<snip>

Our transition defence looked the most porous it has since the Sydney game on Saturday, and I can't help but think it underlines how important having Dunkley or a similar-minded defensive midfield presence is to its success.
I agree with mostly everything I've snipped out.

On this last point, I'd make the observation that we seem to defend better against handballing teams than kicking teams. Was noticeable on Saturday when WC switched up their game style.

Notes from these pics

1. Charlie's teeth! Gee i would have given him the week off and some new teeth, they can take a while to settle in.
2. Looks like Dunkely jogging laps behind Fagan in photo 3? Will we have a training run on Thursday then to see if he plays or does this make him unlikely?

I agree with mostly everything I've snipped out.

On this last point, I'd make the observation that we seem to defend better against handballing teams than kicking teams. Was noticeable on Saturday when WC switched up their game style.

Yes, interesting observation. There's a common theme to all this and it's very particular. This exact thing happened two or three times against Gold Coast, it happened more than once against Hawthorn and it happened again (only once I think) on Saturday against West Coast.

What I'm talking about is when teams have say a kick in, a free kick or an out on the full deep in our forward line. If they are able to take an uncontested mark directly in the middle of the ground, at the top of our 50m arc (so between 35-50m out from OUR goal), I think every time the ball has transitioned from there to a high quality shot at goal for the opposition.

So there is clearly that flaw in our team defence. It's not so apparent when we give teams uncontested marks in the centre square funnily enough... Maybe this is because from that point forward, the ground shrinks in width. Not sure of the exact reasoning but that is a pretty clear "bug" in our defensive system and one that I would absolutely be trying to take advantage of if I was coaching against us.

Something to watch for on Friday night. Whether Melbourne are able to take an uncontested mark in the corridor, 40-50m from our attacking goal, and what happens if they do.

Notes from these pics

1. Charlie's teeth! Gee i would have given him the week off and some new teeth, they can take a while to settle in.
2. Looks like Dunkely jogging laps behind Fagan in photo 3? Will we have a training run on Thursday then to see if he plays or does this make him unlikely?

Friend lost their tooth and got a false tooth plate until finished playing.

Notes from these pics

Grin is 'Pastor Harris' praying for #33's sight? ;) (fourth pic)

I agree with your general points it's just that Cal brings very strong defensive pressure and to me it's a shame that he'll probably miss out.

But Gunston has to keep his spot and hopefully he's not the one we've seen most of the season.

He benefited from the way we set up in the last quarter against moderate opposition but he still kicked 6 and at last started kicking straight.
Yeah, Gunston probably keeps his spot this week, but I expect it would be at McCarthy's expense rather than Cal's. Three goals once every 6 or 7 weeks, with not enough defensive effort and random GOTW attempts isn't sufficient to give up what Ah Chee brings

Yeah, Gunston probably keeps his spot this week, but I expect it would be at McCarthy's expense rather than Cal's. Three goals once every 6 or 7 weeks, with not enough defensive effort and random GOTW attempts isn't sufficient to give up what Ah Chee brings

Ah Chees played 1 full game this season and Linc has never played reserves.

I can't see Fagan changing his mind

The Roar Deal guys had Murray Davis on this week and fish asked some good questions about how they measure Linc’s output given he down in goals this year. Murray was big on Linc’s defensive pressure and said he’s sacrificing his game for the good of the team. It was a good question that wasn’t really answered apart from indicating how much they think of him internally. (It might also be that the pressure he is applying is hard to define/measure, but is still producing results on a whole of forward line output).

McCartty is very good defensively and he sacrifices his offensive role to do so.

The Roar Deal guys had Murray Davis on this week and fish asked some good questions about how they measure Linc’s output given he down in goals this year. Murray was big on Linc’s defensive pressure and said he’s sacrificing his game for the good of the team. It was a good question that wasn’t really answered apart from indicating how much they think of him internally. (It might also be that the pressure he is applying is hard to define/measure, but is still producing results on a whole of forward line output).
I would think they're reticent to put actual metrics/KPI's out there to avoid undue pressure. I think just the confirmation that they think a little differently the the average supporters' view of goal output = worth when it comes to forwards is informative.

Back