Autopsy Round 17, 2023: St.Kilda v Melbourne *STEELE 150TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, but this is such a cop out to me.

Every week I read "oh poor us, such and such played well that week" or "of course they get their stars back against us"

It's such a loser mentality

If we're a good footy side then we have a bring it on mentality

Yeah it's not about that though. Doesn't matter what we're saying as fans. All we want to do is try to understand where we are as a club.

What ARR is trying to uncover is whether our players/coaching staff are actually decent and have been unlucky, or are fairly s**t and have been lucky. I don't know the answer but both the last two games have been bad times to play the sides in question, so with a bit of luck we could have had much better results in both.

What surgery is he having?

And no, he won’t.
I was told he had an anterior dislocation.

Couldn’t answer what surgery. Not sure king and the club know yet.

But that he will be back for a full pre season with minimal impact to it.

I imagine he won’t do much competitive work pre Christmas as RTB is still filthy about the original reco

I imagine he won’t do much competitive work pre Christmas as RTB is still filthy about the original reco
RTB mentioned that it popped out the front of the shoulder.
I don't what that means

Club expects him back for a full pre season and fully recovered too.

King has already said he wants to get back with the 1-4 years.
Excellent.
And can we please just keep him away from Dougs and watch those hammies too 🙄

Speaking from experience.

I had a full reco on 26 April this year - RC repair, Labaral repair and bicep tendon reattached after tearing it from the labaral.

I have had a number of surgeries in my life but this one is without doubt the most painful I have endured. It is so sore I struggle to sleep most nights even when fully medicated on high powered juice.

Pre surgery, the Surgeon told me;
6 weeks with the joint totally immobilised - tick
6 - 12 weeks low level movement / physio weekly.
12 - 24 weeks gradual reloading of the shoulder/bicep
24 - 36 weeks increasing load back to pre injury levels
Somewhere after 36 weeks - full recovery

Clearly, I am not an AFL player with all of the best medical care that can be provided however the recovery is so challenging. I thought when the surgeon told me the time line he was kidding himself. I train everyday and was sure I would smash the rehab. how wrong I have been. The weakness in my arm makes it impossible to do even the most mundane daily tasks. Normal use feels like a universe away. Many nights I have been awake at 0200am crying myself back to sleep in sheer frustration.

I really feel for Max has he has already accomplished most of the above, in a much shortened timeframe, only to have to start the process all over again.
I read others comments on recovery of other players - the Jack Steele example where the expectation is he was to keep his running up post surgery and maintain fitness. Im here to tell you this is not achieveable and this is the reason, in my opinion he has struggled with other soft tissue injuries since his return. Same reasoning behind why Max did a big hammy during his build up to a return. In my experience, there is no way Max will be running and maintaining his fitness after shoulder surgery thereby impacting his readiness for start of preseason.

I have learned how fragile and complicated shoulders are and have also learned the hard way how recovery can be impacted by other factors including nerve damage which is to some degree almost unavoidable. I sincerely hope his recovery goes well and he is the exception but I think the expectations of him being ready for start of preseason are fanciful.

Speaking from experience.

I had a full reco on 26 April this year - RC repair, Labaral repair and bicep tendon reattached after tearing it from the labaral.

I have had a number of surgeries in my life but this one is without doubt the most painful I have endured. It is so sore I struggle to sleep most nights even when fully medicated on high powered juice.

Pre surgery, the Surgeon told me;
6 weeks with the joint totally immobilised - tick
6 - 12 weeks low level movement / physio weekly.
12 - 24 weeks gradual reloading of the shoulder/bicep
24 - 36 weeks increasing load back to pre injury levels
Somewhere after 36 weeks - full recovery

Clearly, I am not an AFL player with all of the best medical care that can be provided however the recovery is so challenging. I thought when the surgeon told me the time line he was kidding himself. I train everyday and was sure I would smash the rehab. how wrong I have been. The weakness in my arm makes it impossible to do even the most mundane daily tasks. Normal use feels like a universe away. Many nights I have been awake at 0200am crying myself back to sleep in sheer frustration.

I really feel for Max has he has already accomplished most of the above, in a much shortened timeframe, only to have to start the process all over again.
I read others comments on recovery of other players - the Jack Steele example where the expectation is he was to keep his running up post surgery and maintain fitness. Im here to tell you this is not achieveable and this is the reason, in my opinion he has struggled with other soft tissue injuries since his return. Same reasoning behind why Max did a big hammy during his build up to a return. In my experience, there is no way Max will be running and maintaining his fitness after shoulder surgery thereby impacting his readiness for start of preseason.

I have learned how fragile and complicated shoulders are and have also learned the hard way how recovery can be impacted by other factors including nerve damage which is to some degree almost unavoidable. I sincerely hope his recovery goes well and he is the exception but I think the expectations of him being ready for start of preseason are fanciful.
Whilst I’m hopeful your situation improves for your sake.

Max was back playing an AFL Game within 25 weeks.

Not sure the examples are comparable at all

I know Marshall was tremendous and was getting a lot of the praise, but I was most impressed by Steele. He was back to his best in this game, and I feel like it was no coincidence that it was the first game I've noticed his shoulder not strapped. I think he's finally feeling good with his body, and it looks like he's put some weight back on which helps his game style.

Yeah it's not about that though. Doesn't matter what we're saying as fans. All we want to do is try to understand where we are as a club.

What ARR is trying to uncover is whether our players/coaching staff are actually decent and have been unlucky, or are fairly s**t and have been lucky. I don't know the answer but both the last two games have been bad times to play the sides in question, so with a bit of luck we could have had much better results in both.

To be as competitive with the side we put up was pretty incredible. NWM is a 30 game player or something, Windhager less than 30 games, Stocker less than 50, Caminiti 13 games, Owens 22, Sharman 23, Byrnes 44, Phillipou 16....we played against a hardened side who are 2 years since a flag and had half the side as very inexperienced and the others a patchwork of delisted recycled players and rookies.

As a list we look like a s**t-stained, hole-ridden blanket. Even from our best 22 last year we are missing 10 players out of the side that beat the Hawks by a huge margin last year, our biggest win for the year.

Say what you like about Lyon but he can make an ordinary outfit into a competitive unit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Marshall was tremendous and was getting a lot of the praise, but I was most impressed by Steele. He was back to his best in this game, and I feel like it was no coincidence that it was the first game I've noticed his shoulder not strapped. I think he's finally feeling good with his body, and it looks like he's put some weight back on which helps his game style.

Best game our captain has played in some time. It was great seeing him go about it the way he did.

Wow, been frequenting George ‘a skool of maffs I see
6jhe5s.jpg

Someone on Fox spoke about putting some bone on the front of the shoulder?
🤷‍♂️
If he needs some bone do you want to donate your head to the surgery? Not much in there

RTB said it was anterior in his post match presser. Should be back by Christmas hopefully.

Howard yet again providing the goods. Is he on a contract with another club or something behind the scenes? Gives away 5 goals a game and takes out our most prized recruit in the last 20 years.

RTB said it was anterior in his post match presser. Should be back by Christmas hopefully.

Howard yet again providing the goods. Is he on a contract with another club or something behind the scenes? Gives away 5 goals a game and takes out our most prized recruit in the last 20 years.
I only posted here to interrupt George flow of consciousness posting.

Phillipou’s first quarter was so exciting. Obviously ran out of gas after it but 9 disposals and should’ve had two goals, once he gets his fitness up my goodness. All the young guys were good but he’s the key IMO, if he re-signs long term that’s everything.

Max is a blessing and a curse. The unpredictability without him there will be interesting to see for the rest of the year.

Another reminder from May about everything we don’t have. We need an elite interceptor almost as much as A grade mids. Wilkie is a shutdown player and a gun at it but we need a May, Lever etc. desperately.

Phillipou’s first quarter was so exciting. Obviously ran out of gas after it but 9 disposals and should’ve had two goals, once he gets his fitness up my goodness. All the young guys were good but he’s the key IMO, if he re-signs long term that’s everything.

Max is a blessing and a curse. The unpredictability without him there will be interesting to see for the rest of the year.

Another reminder from May about everything we don’t have. We need an elite interceptor almost as much as A grade mids. Wilkie is a shutdown player and a gun at it but we need a May, Lever etc. desperately.
I reckon Wilkie could be a Stewart type, but we need another very good key defender to free him up.

Also, in my view a big part of the reason for the intercepts is our forward movement. Our forwards often play behind, don't lead at the ball carrier, or try and lead backwards for the out the back

Why isn't Steven May being suspended for kneeing Zaine in the head and giving him a concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back