Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Griff and Hammer can play on Smalls, I think we can play all 4 and still have a dynamic backline, altho when you factor in Ryan it does seem hard to play all 5

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Griff and Hammer can play on Smalls, I think we can play all 4 and still have a dynamic backline, altho when you factor in Ryan it does seem hard to play all 5
Then there’s Wilson and Young and the ‘never noticed but never beaten’ Hughes who have to be squeezed it too.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Have Pearce, Cox, Logue and Hamling ever been on the same ground together? Or in the same room together?
Better yet, have they ever trained together on the field?
Probably at least one is in the gym, or at home recuperating from another surgery.
The day all Logue, Pearce and Hamling are resuming full training and on the training ground at the same time, we should host a celebration.

I believe we haven't even seen Logue and Pearce have been on the same field together.
correct, have not played a single AFL game together
Better yet, have they ever trained together on the field?
Probably at least one is in the gym, or at home recuperating from another surgery.
The day all Logue, Pearce and Hamling are resuming full training and on the training ground at the same time, we should host a celebration.
briefly in 2018 before Griff got injured, and briefly last year before AP got injured

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
correct, have not played a single AFL game together

briefly in 2018 before Griff got injured, and briefly last year before AP got injured
What a rarer sighting? Them training together or unicorns?
The next step is Fremantle hiring adequate strength and conditioning staff and hopefully usher in a new and brighter era of injury rehabilitation.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great sides have good quality depth - in the past few years we have had to plug injury gaps with players who were / are clearly not AFL quality at the time. This is why our injuries have killed us so often, whereas a Richmond for example could have just as many injuries and still be in contention.

This year has been a blessing in many ways in that we have been able to expose some guys who have proven they are more than capable of stepping up when needed. This will hold us in great stead in the next few seasons.

People fear that if a good player is not playing firsts he will leave but that doesn't have to be the case. If they have all bought into the club's plan they will play their roles, even if that means playing some WAFL games or filling gaps where required - e.g. Cox to play tall forward if injuries necessitate.

We are seeing a really good list develop before our eyes, and I think next year we will see the start of a climb to the top.
That's what I was hoping to hear .
So financially can we afford to carry all these guys for a couple more years ( assuming that they are now seen as more valuable and request pay rises ) ?

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I find it almost impossible to believe both Hamling and Pearce will come through these botched surgical years to become the same players again. Even if they are 'fit' to get on the park what is the chance that they'll both be unscathed and the same players with the same mobility/leap/speed? Almost zero chance in my book. I think Cox has a career in the best 22 ahead of him for as long as he wants.
My thoughts as well
In a big game I reckon Hamling is the guy I'd want to see back there locking down on a gorilla !
I hope he pulls through 🤞

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
To be fair, none of them are much chop
- I always though Cox's field kicking was quite good. If I remember correctly it was his shots on goal weren't too flash.
- Hamling rarely takes any dangerous high risk/high reward options. Safe kicks to the side or long down the line.
- Alex unfortunately is a bit of a mystery box, can stuff up the simplest of safe sideways kicks, yet on occasion can pull off a 50m straight down the middle line breaker. Most of the time I'm nervous when he has the ball.

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
genuinely cant believe this is still discussed as an option. At a pinch, yes Hamling could play small. Do you pick him to play small - no fudging way. He offers very little with ball in hand and Conca's proven to be more than capable in that role. Far better off sending Logue to play smaller who's quicker and has the offensive skillset/athleticism. Hamling's a good athlete for his size but i'd be shocked if he could go with Papley up and down the ground.

ignoramus

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
- Alex unfortunately is a bit of a mystery box, can stuff up the simplest of safe sideways kicks, yet on occasion can pull off a 50m straight down the middle line breaker. Most of the time I'm nervous when he has the ball.
Pearce's bonus value comes from the fact he used to play as a midfielder before he grew tall. His follow up tackling efforts are great, but even better is his ability to pounce on a loose ball, weave through traffic and get away a big clearing kick. Leaves everybody stunned because no one expects a 195+cm KPD to do that.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
genuinely cant believe this is still discussed as an option. At a pinch, yes Hamling could play small. Do you pick him to play small - no fudging way. He offers very little with ball in hand and Conca's proven to be more than capable in that role. Far better off sending Logue to play smaller who's quicker and has the offensive skillset/athleticism. Hamling's a good athlete for his size but i'd be shocked if he could go with Papley up and down the ground.
Hammer has played on Cameron to great effect, I believe Logue has shut him down too.

I definitely think they both can play on smalls if needed, they have the speed to beat them and can beat them in the air too.

They may offer less with ball in hand but they can shut them down.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
- I always though Cox's field kicking was quite good. If I remember correctly it was his shots on goal weren't too flash.
Most of the time he simply refused to kick through the footy for some reason when confronted by a set of large poles. Used to infuriate me, if you miss, you miss but don't try and poke/nurse/chip the ****in thing through just because you are only 20m out.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great sides have good quality depth - in the past few years we have had to plug injury gaps with players who were / are clearly not AFL quality at the time. This is why our injuries have killed us so often, whereas a Richmond for example could have just as many injuries and still be in contention.

This year has been a blessing in many ways in that we have been able to expose some guys who have proven they are more than capable of stepping up when needed. This will hold us in great stead in the next few seasons.

People fear that if a good player is not playing firsts he will leave but that doesn't have to be the case. If they have all bought into the club's plan they will play their roles, even if that means playing some WAFL games or filling gaps where required - e.g. Cox to play tall forward if injuries necessitate.

We are seeing a really good list develop before our eyes, and I think next year we will see the start of a climb to the top.

Richmond have moved on heaps of older players to refresh the side with younger options

Astbury Broad and Nankervis will be the next to go

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

ignoramus

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wouldn’t say monstering. Wrong word. Gawn barely had hit outs to clear advantage, he tried to body Darcy plenty of times. Thought it was 60/40 Gawn’s way but unconvincing.
This is a fair point. I remember checking the stats at half time and seeing a very lopsided HO count, which I added to my recollection of a couple of times where Gawn got a nice tap or clearly outbodied Darcy. Having rewatched the first half though, Darcy was actually pretty damn good against Gawn. Most of his HOs looked to be to advantage, and he had a hand on the vast majority of Gawn's, negating Gawn's opportunities to be creative (very few hits out the back). I'm now actually wondering how Gawn got credited with as many HOs as he did.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
No wonder the coaches are pulling their hair out re Lobb's stutter step and goal kicking in games...

Oh lord. Tabs, Fyfe and now Lobb want to try the snap on a 30 degree angle. Where’s Dunstall, Modra or even Pav when you need them? Give them a rocket and learn to drop punt.
But nice goal though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back