Toast Round 17: Collingwood 68-46 Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

The Magnificent Seven

Bucks Lockdown Beard, The Sherriff, Rrrooocccaaa
Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dunno why everyone is paying out on the commentary.

I was a bit blazed last night, made the match MUCH easier to watch. But there was plenty of neutral comments around obvious free kicks that were meant for us, constructive appraisals of our playing style... Jordan Lewis can FRO but apart from that was happy.

The best thing about the coverage is the lulls and you can clearly hear individuals in the crowd. "OH TOO EASY PIES!" says frustrated fan as Suns clear it and I am transported right to my seats in M34 :D

Our side still feels like a teenager coming to terms with its growing body, hopefully the balls drop by finals time

I, for one, want to smash into Port Adelaide. They've been beaten by Brisbane, Geelong, St Kilda - the only convincing win was against Tigers (good match that one). So they're not invincible, and their run of easybeats might be at an end.

It's not our year I reckon but one we can still be there and abouts.

cleomenes

Cancelled
Nov 18, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
If Sidebottom does come to the team, he will present a quandary to the selectors. On first game day he will have spent two weeks cooped up in a hotel room. His fitness will have declined badly. He will not be able to play his normal role. As I see it, he will have to play half forward, and change much more frequently than is usual for him. Given Stephenson's problems, which my guess is are glandular fever related, perhaps the two of them could share a position, and only play half a game each in total time. This would mean two players out, and I would nominate Callum Brown and Travis Varcoe. Varcoe was OK last night, but he is not Sidebottom. Jamie Elliott will have to stay on the ball, but he is doing very well there.

I join those praising Noble's game, as well as Madgen's. Quaynor does not deserve much criticism. Sexton is both very good, and too tall in the way he plays for Quaynor. Madgen was always the better match up. Cox turned the clock back, and De Goey has not missed a beat. Treloar got a lot of it, but perhaps at the expense of Adams. Hoskin-Elliott was much improved. Daicos really does look like a player.

Like everyone else on the field, Maynard had problems with the slimy ball. His problems gave them 2 goals, but nearly everyone else made disposal errors because of the state of the ball. Given that the AFL is changing football to a night game, dew soaked balls are now the norm, so if we are to continue to follow the game, we can forget the notion that clean ball handling can be expected.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Has Broomhead ever got 5 disposals in a game of AFL not VFL

Multiple 20+ disposal games and even managed 20+ and a goal on multiple occasions.

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 4.16.00 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 4.16.00 pm.png
    221 KB · Views: 44

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
A very interesting skill I observed last night that Dew must have encouraged, and that was the Check side kick on the favoured leg.
Several players used it effectively for quick curving disposal to hit targets - that were otherwise impossible to hit with any other type of kick.
Just brilliant.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree to a point, not sure I liked him pointing to his head when he had just dropped an easy mark. (Dropped a couple actually).

I imagine he did that as he thought Quaynor? should have kicked shorter instead to him?

I am not a fan of those displays. Go up and tell him later.
I think it was Crisp
Get the point though

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
For the third consecutive year, Collingwood have qualified for finals in 2020 by overcoming Gold Coast by 22 points. The Magpies had to overcome a slow and haphazard start in the opening term where they lost field position, disposals and clearances, to ultimately grind the Suns over the next three quarters by playing a quicker and cleaner brand of direct footy that enabled Collingwood's forwards to take more marks and convert most of their opportunities. Gold Coast threatened numerous times to pull away or tighten the screws on the scoreboard, but failed to punish the Woods with several goals missed, while they also gave away free kicks in their attacking arc, which allowed the Magpies off the hook and were able to counter-attack with goals that made the Suns pay dearly for their poor conversion as the game went longer and deeper. Greater cohesion and conversion from Collingwood's forwards proved to be the difference in a dour and scrappy encounter for most of the night.

Collingwood won their statistical categories from disposals by +24 (325 - 301), handballs were won by +24 (136 - 112), contested possessions had a differential of +1 (117 - 116), while uncontested possessions were +38 (211 - 173), and +2 for intercept possessions (64 - 62). Marks had an advantage of +14 (82 - 68), with uncontested marks won by +8 (72 - 64), and Contested Marks were won by +6 (10 - 4), while tackles had a margin of +8 (55 - 47), and +4 for Inside 50s (45 - 41). Gold Coast won the hit-outs by +4 (35 - 31), clearances by +3 (30 - 27), centre clearances were won by +3 (10 - 7), while Marks Inside 50 had a differential of +3 (8 - 5). Kicks (189 each), stoppage clearances (20 apiece), and Tackles Inside 50 (7 all) were the only neutral categories from the match.

Adam Treloar (26 disposals @ 58%, 296 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 16 handballs, 5 tackles, 5 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 centre clearances & 4 Inside 50s) stood up under pressure, and straightened Collingwood's ball movement when he decided to be aggressive with his decision making.

Josh Daicos (21 disposals @ 76%, 301 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 11 handballs, 5 marks, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) displayed composure with his ball use, which has been a hallmark of his game for the entire season. Kept his width on the wing, and used it well.

Scott Pendlebury (19 disposals @ 84%, 186 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 12 handballs, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 2 goal assists, 8 score involvements, 7 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 4 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50's) recovered from a barren opening term (no disposals) to generate ball movement in the clinches, before finding time and space to kick the ball a bit more in the second half. Pendlebury knows how to find time and space every time.

Taylor Adams (18 disposals @ 72%, 299 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 7 handballs, 5 tackles, 6 score involvements, 2 clearances & 4 Inside 50s) found it tough early, but got better as the game progressed by finding time and space to escape pressure with neat ball use.

Jamie Elliott (16 disposals @ 75%, 272 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 9 kicks, 7 handballs, 2 marks, 6 tackles, 3 score involvements & 6 Inside 50s) flourished again as a midfielder by providing territory and field position to allow his team more time to defend behind the ball. Elliott looms as a point of difference for the remainder of the season.

Tyler Brown (14 disposals @ 86%, 219 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 5 handballs, 5 marks, 2 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) played his most assured game for the club. Brown was able to gather the ball cleanly, took some marks, and capped it off with a goal.

Levi Greenwood (14 disposals @ 50%, 161 metres gained, 6 contested posssessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 6 handballs, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 3 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) played with an uncompromising edge of hardness and toughness. Ball use needs work, but he has got the ingredients that will be required in finals.

Brodie Grundy (12 disposals @ 100%, 5 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 27 kit-outs, 3 kicks, 9 handballs, 2 marks, 8 tackles & 4 score involvements) got outplayed by Jarrod Witts for most of the night, but he was able to bounce back by winning his fair share of hit-outs, and locked the ball in with ferocious tackles.

Jack Crisp (23 disposals @ 78%, 356 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 10 handballs, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements, 5 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) generated significant transition from defence in his 150th game, and pushed up the ground to be an ultra-aggressive option for his teammates.

John Noble (21 disposals @ 76%, 262 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 2 score involvements & 4 Rebound 50s) has become a revelation as a small defender. Maintained possession effectively and took marks to slow the game down, especially when the Suns were running rampant.

Isaac Quaynor (17 disposals @ 88%, 372 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 5 handballs, 7 marks, 2 tackles, 2 score involvements & 5 Rebound 50s) provided damage off half-back with his desire to kick long to a contest or biting off a risky kick to open the play up for the team, and he worked extremely hard to take several marks behind the ball. Quaynor & Noble are complimenting each other brilliantly, like Crisp does with Maynard.

Brayden Maynard (16 disposals @ 88%, 452 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 7 interercept possessions, 15 kicks, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements & 6 Rebound 50s) was exceptional with his booming kicks out of defence working a treat. However, he did screw up two kick-ins that resulted in goals to the Suns. Aside from those two blunders, Maynard intercepted and linked up brilliantly.

Jordan Roughead (14 disposals @ 64%, 240 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 4 handballs, 6 marks & 4 Rebound 50s) played with a bit more dare behind the ball by taking crucial marks before finding a loose target to maintain possession.

Darcy Moore (14 disposals @ 86%, 250 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 2 tackles & 5 Rebound 50s) pushed higher up the ground to imapct contests in the air, before using the ball effectively from defence to commence each attack on transition.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (16 disposals @ 81%, 199 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 7 handballs, 9 marks, 5 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was the conduit option for the Magpies as a high half-forward that would lead up at the ball carrier and take several marks without failing. Hoskin-Elliott was also able to kick a crucial goal against the run of play in the opening term. Found form against the Suns, and will need to replicate that against Port Adelaide before the finals.

Jordan De Goey (10 disposals @ 60%, 218 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 4 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 2 handballs, 2 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 7 score involvements & 4 goals) made an immediate impact upon return by scoring three goals in the first half when Collingwood were under the pump, before booting his 4th goal in the third term to keep the Woods in touch with the Suns. De Goey was the ultimate difference in a night where goals were at a premium.

Mason Cox (8 disposals @ 88%, 138 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 4 hit-outs, 5 kicks, 3 handballs, 7 marks, 4 Contested Marks, 5 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 goals) finally strung a game together for the first time in 2020, by providing a contest at all times, took some great marks, and kicked two telling goals. His second goal in the last quarter was amazing, and the Woods never looked back once he kicked that goal. Replicate that standard for the remainder of 2020, Mason.

Collingwood's next game will be against Port Adelaide on September 21 at the Gabba. The plan against the Power is to dominate field position, clearances & Inside 50s over four quarters. That is how the Power play their best footy, and the Magpies will need to beat them at their own game to collect the points in Scott Pendlebury's 314th game. Pendlebury will pass Tony Shaw (313) for the most club games, and will ultimately pass the captaincy record previously set by current coach Nathan Buckley who captained the club 161 times. Scott Pendlebury will lead the Woods out for the 162nd time as the club's skipper, meaning he will break two records in the same game. The team result will be more prevalent than the individual accolades that Pendlebury will have. Get it done against a powerful (excuse the pun) team before the finals.
Thanks for these stats and insights.

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

I was a bit blazed last night, made the match MUCH easier to watch. But there was plenty of neutral comments around obvious free kicks that were meant for us, constructive appraisals of our playing style... Jordan Lewis can FRO but apart from that was happy.

The best thing about the coverage is the lulls and you can clearly hear individuals in the crowd. "OH TOO EASY PIES!" says frustrated fan as Suns clear it and I am transported right to my seats in M34 :D

Our side still feels like a teenager coming to terms with its growing body, hopefully the balls drop by finals time

I, for one, want to smash into Port Adelaide. They've been beaten by Brisbane, Geelong, St Kilda - the only convincing win was against Tigers (good match that one). So they're not invincible, and their run of easybeats might be at an end.

I think Jordan has been the 'recruit of the year'. He explains the technical plays well. He's not like Captains Obvious like Richo and Lingy.

Yes, I remember that one as I instinctively replied "Absolutely right, mate!" and my partner was like "Are you talking to the tv now?"

I really need to get back to the ground.

I muted the commmetary and listened to my ‘Floating through Space’ playlist on Spotify

TakingThePies

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
IQ is a very attacking defender. His ability to intercept is high class. The next step for him is to blanket his opponent. If he can get to that level, he will become an A grader with a bullet next season. I reckon he could become a damaging wingman as well with his acceleration and ball use.
Absolutely, I think he'll be an outstanding player for a very long time. We haven't had his type of run and gun since a Shaw or Lumumba.

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood

Port are flaky af. They'll be found out come finals time. Let's put a rocket up them on Monday.

ThanksRossy

Debutant
Dec 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Even if a new father doesn't take paternity leave, in ordinary circumstances they still get to see their newborn and partner at the end of each day.

Steele wouldn't have this. To re-join his teammates at this point would mean that he's willing to be completely separated from his family until late October.

He might well decide to do that, but no one should reasonably expect it of him.

Plan for finals without him.
Surely Eddie just flies him and his missus/baby up to Qld and pays for a couple of weeks’ hotel quarantine, nappies etc - or have I missed something?

Surely Eddie just flies him and his missus/baby up to Qld and pays for a couple of weeks’ hotel quarantine, nappies etc - or have I missed something?

Might have missed a few considerations, like the multiple layers of lovely hell which can be involved in trying to settle with a newborn and the impracticality/impossible of taking the new family to a quarantine set-up...but who are we to quibble about such details?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back