Autopsy Round 17: Hawks beat by Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I lost my sh*t a few times today but not at players (well may be sometimes) but at the umpiring.

They had no influence on the outcome - that was on us, but on the inconsistency and the lack of calls when they were clearly there

At half time there had been 66 tackles (between them) and only two frees paid. Both Derm and King commentated on it and complained about how the htb rule was back where it was at the beginning of the season and they wish it was back at being over called rather than not called.

Watching the dogs today you can understand why this didn’t sit well with Beveridge at the time - it certainly wouldn’t suit their throw game. The amount of throws, incorrect disposal and htb decisions they got away with today blew my mind
There were 2 in the 2nd quarter that really annoyed me. Libba drops it front of our goal, they sweep it up the other end and kick a goal. Bont just drops it cold, then a couple of seconds later the Hawthorn slightly falls into his back and they pay that free kick

Great to get to my second game this year. Never expected a win TBH.

Thought TOB was decent with his ruck work. If he was 2m, he’s be a first choice ruck.

Never been a Howe fan, and today reaffirmed that position. JJ should never have got his first goal if Howe had done a better job.

We need to find a long-term replacement for McEvoy in the back line. Save that for the other threads.

Love Scrimshaw, Day again.

Still have faith that wingard will be a winner when we come good. Need players like him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gunston. Give him the captaincy. Outstanding performance and year.

Greaves is a keeper. Likewise Cuz, just lacks polish.

Finn was good in the heat.

Thought Cegs played a solid 3rd term to stop the bleeding.

JOM shouldn't have played.

We missed Worpel and Chip.

Keen to get a game into Patton next week.

No team handballs worse than we do. Sideways, always sloppy, never forward and often to teammates’ knees. Worst are Wingard, Scrimshaw, Morrison, Mitchell and Shiels.
Finn - Showed good signs but struggled with the pace of the game.
Greaves - good again
Burgoyne - slow, rigid and kept falling over. Reckon both parties will be embarrassed by the contract extension at some stage next year.
TOB - has never lept higher.
Howe - slow, rigid, zero intensity. Poor.
Gunston - gives 100% needs to be Captain next year.

Let’s hope we put in a better performance next week for Poppy’s farewell.

People need to take a deep long breathe before they open their mouth after a loss. More often than not the list isn't as good or as bad as we make out. Look at Adelaide for how quick things can turn, this woe is us attitude pisses me off to no end.
I agree with your sentiment but please don’t compare our list to Adelaide’s, they knew where they were at the start of the season and have played a team for the future. We didn’t really commit to this until the last few weeks.

Cousins was noticeable around the middle. Timed it really well. Found his kicking to be left wanting.

Must admit, didn’t really notice greaves that much. I note all the positive comments on here, but can’t say that he stood out to me. Might have been easier to spot him on tv than watching it live, perhaps

Burgoyne - slow, rigid and kept falling over. Reckon both parties will be embarrassed by the contract extension at some stage next year.
TBH, I thought both parties were this year, your description of burger today is correct but it is a description I never expected to actually watch.

I was genuinely shocked when someone told me yesterday we have signed him again.

Cousins was noticeable around the middle. Timed it really well. Found his kicking to be left wanting.

Must admit, didn’t really notice greaves that much. I note all the positive comments on here, but can’t say that he stood out to me. Might have been easier to spot him on tv than watching it live, perhaps

Greaves is a solid footballer, no outstanding attributes so will never be a standout. Right now he’s in our best 22.

The thing I notice about Greaves on the backline is I don't notice his opponent doing anything on him which is a win already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thing is, will he ever improve his field kicking ?

If Burgoyne is going to play for another year, let it be as a half forward.

i think Silk played down back today to help out with Frawley not getting up and maybe give some direction

not a success but neither was anything else

I lost my sh*t a few times today but not at players (well may be sometimes) but at the umpiring.

They had no influence on the outcome - that was on us, but on the inconsistency and the lack of calls when they were clearly there

At half time there had been 66 tackles (between them) and only two frees paid. Both Derm and King commentated on it and complained about how the htb rule was back where it was at the beginning of the season and they wish it was back at being over called rather than not called.

Watching the dogs today you can understand why this didn’t sit well with Beveridge at the time - it certainly wouldn’t suit their throw game. The amount of throws, incorrect disposal and htb decisions they got away with today blew my mind
It’s way beyond a joke, Clarko called it weeks ago and eveyone including Malthouse points the finger at him because the umpires started calling them overzealously as usual but guess what, it’s back. Bulldogs are back to what they know best. Grab ball, attempt to burst through pack. Low risk, high reward. Drop ball, play on. Ball knocked out, play on. Get handball away, off and running.

This game is royally rogered and it has nothing to do with COVID or short quarters. If incorrect disposal is the new norm, at least have the decency to let all coaches know so they can adjust their game plans accordingly. Don’t penalise the Hardwicks and not penalise the Dogs x 50.

I agree with your sentiment but please don’t compare our list to Adelaide’s, they knew where they were at the start of the season and have played a team for the future. We didn’t really commit to this until the last few weeks.
You can't exactly commit to playing kids when you beat Brisbane & Richmond comfortably in the early part of the season though

Not having Smith, Henderson and Scully playing, we have no outside run. Smith and Henderson are elite kicks. We’re badly missing their ablity to link up and hit a target inside 50.

Finding a future replacement for Smith isn’t going to be an easy task.

It's difficult to get a reasonable understanding of the game from the tele
Was at the the ground and most notable points
1. Lacked trust in teammates we had 5 players run into a stoppage hoping one of them got it and it would look good in their review
2. No confidence to kick through the middle easier to hack it down the line
3. Our running patterns and structures are quite poor at times

Trust and confidence can be restored with a decent pre season which we will get after next week

Finn Maginness Game 1: 10 disposals 5 tackles 5 marks
Sam Mitchell Game 1: 4 disposals 4 tackles 2 marks
Luke Hodge Game 1: 12 disposals 3 tackles 0 marks

There were 2 in the 2nd quarter that really annoyed me. Libba drops it front of our goal, they sweep it up the other end and kick a goal. Bont just drops it cold, then a couple of seconds later the Hawthorn slightly falls into his back and they pay that free kick
The classic is the Dogs player gets tackled with the ball. Hangs on to it and drops to his knees and forward. Hawthorn play hangs onto him expecting the rightful free kick and gets dragged to the ground with him. The Dogs player contributed 100 % to the infingement. Practiced and played to perfection and the umpires are too stupid to see through it.

Interesting Clarko presser talking bout what happened with Jones only playing the one game. No complaints either tho I’m sure Purple will spin something re his talk about list sizes.

What happened with Jones?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back