Autopsy Round 17: Hawks beat by Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
Opposition usually sit on JOM (he has torn teams apart when left on his own) and play off Mitchell a bit more to keep him accountable (particularly aerobically). It has left Cousins with a bit more space, which he is using to his advantage very well. If Hawks became a bit less predictable in the middle you would find JOM/ Mitchell would start to become a lot more influential. Problem is we really have a very average midfield rotation and poor depth in that department.

it's also worth noting that titch seems to no longer be playing as the big dog in the mids and is less focussed on clearances and racking up contested ball — obviously coming off his injury he's still not quite ready to reclaim that throne but i wonder if it will be a consistent change as Worps seems to be better as the main clearance player (and is probably more damaging than titch too)

i would be happy to give tommy a rest for next week, he looked like he was working up to 2018 form around the Carlton game but inexplicably had his worst game in probably 4 years today. given the severity of his injury, the fact he's played all our games and the irrelevance of our next match i think it would be a good decision to give him an early offseason

Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I reckon TOB goes better in the ruck than cegs. Drives me spare seeing big boy down back. Come to think of it, even Mitch Lewis looked better in the ruck than cegs - actually seemed to get him into the game.

Otherwise we lack polish in so many positions. A team with too many honest triers. Lacking pace, lacking skill, lacking composure And leadership. I do think there is a core of quality, but some of that quality eg Worpel, Mitchell, omeara is more grunt quality than finesse. And some of it is getting long in the tooth. Not sure we can be any good without much more class through the middle, plus an imposing key forward. We will really need to nail this upcoming draft a la Will Day to be good in 2022, when the prince returns. If we don’t, a very long cold winter awaits the HFC.

Also, It’s not impossible that we could have some cash to spend this offseason.

He kicked it straight across the defensive 50 a contest, where it was a turnover and goal...took about 6 seconds.

So much carnage in an instant of footage...not since Zapruder...

Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think he could be a forward rotating mid, seems to know where the goals are.

He’s limited. He tries hard and he’s a good fella. But his disposal stinks and he has a rare knack for unforced errors. He’s basically a peak Liam Shiels (similar ability, good character etc) but he doesn’t have the superstars around him that Shiels did. Needs to be given defensive roles next year and let Worpel and others take ownership of the midfield. He just has no impact with ball in hand

hawksfan71

Club Legend
May 22, 2010
Enemy Territory (Geelong)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
a few things

I watch all the games even though my old man has given up weeks ago, he rants on about going to countless losses in the 70s but they always gave it there best!! I don’t know if they are giving it there best but they don’t have many senior players left.

We shouldn’t feel too bad, we have been decimated by injuries this year, but just remember that it was only a matter of weeks ago that we were BETTER then Port who are on top of the ladder, if it weren’t for being given the game handed to them By the umpires on a platter, so unfortunately we’ve had a horror season.

Re captain, Mitchell was on the tv a couple weeks ago saying how he’ll be happy to take over the captaincy of Stratton acting like it’s a given, so I just dunno where u get the idea it’s Gunston from? I don’t care which one it is, Smith would be solid as well, I don’t think omeara been there long enough imo.

What do you guys thinking about Burgs playing on? Just gonna be that much slower again next year, I know we are losing senior players just not sure.

Nearly pissed myself laughing today when O’Brien took a screamer and then passed it straight to an opposition player who kicked a goal lolol Made me think of you O’Brien dislikes lol I don’t know if he’s any good tbh but at least he is tall.

At least we got a triple premiership fellas, we’ll always have the great memories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

manB

Debutant
Jul 30, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Some of the issues to get sorted,
  1. Ruck is obvious one.
  2. Tom n JOM most of the time handballs backwards, only Worpel and cousins trying to take it forward.
  3. If big boy is not going to do ruckwork even in defence, then why not play Hartley, he is at least defender.
  4. O'Brien gets to contests but sometimes ends up in a way of Lewis or Gunston, may be Patton as well next year if his body holds up.
  5. Hoped for Sicily to be captain next year but Gunston will do, he is lot more consistent than JOM.

HAWKSBESTEVA

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For me Ceglar has not been fully fit all year. Next year will be a better showing of where he is at.

TOB though for me has played his best games for Hawks down back. Been average at best when up forward.
s**t excuse his always been average and this year his gotten worse, was fully fit when he cop a bath from Mumford... , every time he gets a hitout it’s too no mans land or straight to the opposition.

jiphoc

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2008
Buddy's Ego
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
sh*t excuse his always been average and this year his gotten worse, was fully fit when he cop a bath from Mumford... , every time he gets a hitout it’s too no mans land or straight to the opposition.
Specifically in the ruck you are 100% right. However in seasons past he has offered a lot more around the ground. It is more this part of his game that Hawks used him best. That this year is diminished to the point of being non-existent. Only logical explanation is that he is carrying something.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cegler is a liability, the whole team will get better next year but with Cegler in the ruck we are to heavy its Mcevoy or Cegler, not both. I agree with other; OBrien and lewis offer a better rotation and helps bring them into the game more.

Next year Mcevoy and obrien should be the 1/2 with Cegler being on rotation for Mcevoy.

That is exactly why playing him in the backline is not a good move.

and as Bartel said “ it would be good to see him play in one spot and make it his own. Once that’s done he can be moved around”

In the off season he should consider laser vision and then imo play in the forward line until he starts marking Speccies and kicking goals - a girl can dream

Slow Love

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Jul 8, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Finn Maginnes had 2 kicks and 8 handballs today - his contribution was pretty inconsequential in spite of the clamour for his inclusion.

It doesn't mean he sucks - hopefully he'll be a key player for the Hawks in years to come. But it does illustrate our grasping at straws / play the kids status right now

Gunston - still tries his heart out. Is there anybody wearing brown and gold more worthy of leading the Hawks out of this?

burnside5

All Australian
May 23, 2010
Shoreham
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gunston and Breust in good form. Greaves a beauty. Cousins, always liked him. Scrimshaw same. Finn first game and only about 10 disposals but give him time, as thought he did some pretty good things.

Crows and Swans showing some form, so let's continue the youngsters and those on borrowed time and perhaps snag pick 1 or 2 for the future at the same time.

Congrats to Burgoyne, as didn't see that coming but if one bloke who deserves it, it is him; as all class on and off the field.

Nov 3, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Finn Maginnes had 2 kicks and 8 handballs today - his contribution was pretty inconsequential in spite of the clamour for his inclusion.

It doesn't mean he sucks - hopefully he'll be a key player for the Hawks in years to come. But it does illustrate our grasping at straws / play the kids status right now

Gunston - still tries his heart out. Is there anybody wearing brown and gold more worthy of leading the Hawks out of this?

“Play the kids” is not about immediate results...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back