Autopsy Round 17: Hawks beat by Dogs

What happened with Jones?
Basically that he had a great debut and they would never drop a first gamer usually, at least play 2-3, but for structural issues with that particular next game they just couldn’t fit him in. The plan was to bring him back but he obviously got injured (I think that’s what he meant to say, got interrupted).

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bont also seems to suffer season ending injuries like Danger does that magically heal once play has moved on

Bont hasn’t taken a short step his entire career. To assume he’s milking a free against the Hawks today is beyond presumptuous, especially given how much he was throwing himself around today.

local hack

All Australian
Mar 26, 2017
The Island
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thought poppy was great early and rapt he got a farewell. What a ******* champ! After that, not much more to be happy with. Gunston, just appoint him now. Greaves, Scrim and Day good signs. Shiels gone, Breust looks like he’s given up at times. Wingard has forgotten how to play. Can’t work Lewis out. Oh, so many questions. * 2020 - can’t end soon enough....

Last edited:

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
I honestly don't think his field kicking is too bad, had two that I noticed which were poor but both were on his opposite footy so can be excused.
Cousins is no worse than by foot than JOM, Mitchell, worpel or shiels - may actually be better than some/all (not that its hard) as is generally a good decision maker. He’s got more chance of improving his disposal after 20 or so games than JOM/Tom/shiels do.

local hack

All Australian
Mar 26, 2017
The Island
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wouldn't begrudge Gunner's and Punky if either of them wanted a trade at the end of the year- our forward line isn't looking like a fun place to be at the moment.
First half was dreadful, second half was much more tolerable.
JOM and Titch went missing- Cuz up there with Gunston for our best.
All the <10 gamer's looked solid at least- Day was above average by our standards, Greaves did some nice things, and Finn looked solid enough in the second half.
We need to sort our ruck situation out more than anything else (fix that and our dated gameplan becomes a lot better), Bont had more clearances off our tap work than his own teams.
That being said English is a solid ruck despite some comments I'd seen earlier.
Gunston playing like a guy who wants to be captain. Breust has checked out. Love em both.

Last edited:

local hack

All Australian
Mar 26, 2017
The Island
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We took a gamble, it didn’t pay off. It was right to take the gamble - but it hasn’t worked. The club know exactly where this list is. We move on, hopefully with an exciting off season.
This all day long. Why wouldn’t you have a crack at four straight. Smith kicks it after m the siren and who knows? Everyone is a genius when armed with hindsight.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Can’t work Lewis out.

Watched him a bit today, he's kinda of like a dumb dinosaur. He's brain takes too long 2 make decisions that can get 2 his feet arms 2 complete the play. Or it gets there too quick and its worse he rushes 4 no reason.

Hes gone backwards this year but he's also completely lost his exuberance of last year he's a bloke who last year loved footy, this year he seems lost and not happy.

sohsam

All Australian
Oct 5, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He’s limited. He tries hard and he’s a good fella. But his disposal stinks and he has a rare knack for unforced errors. He’s basically a peak Liam Shiels (similar ability, good character etc) but he doesn’t have the superstars around him that Shiels did. Needs to be given defensive roles next year and let Worpel and others take ownership of the midfield. He just has no impact with ball in hand
Is this the same guy that we are talking about? best talent since Judd, plays inside/outside role like no other, we were thinking to trade S Mitchell for at one time? gave up 2 draft picks?

Wingnut19

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cousins is no worse than by foot than JOM, Mitchell, worpel or shiels - may actually be better than some/all (not that its hard) as is generally a good decision maker. He’s got more chance of improving his disposal after 20 or so games than JOM/Tom/shiels do.
He’s 100% better by foot than Mitchell/Jaeger. He’s quicker too. That’s why those two are my biggest worry. I don’t want them both going forward. You can’t win games with your engine room that bad at disposing of the ball. I’ll get shot down for this.

Shot of Jaeger

Bleed Brown & Gold
Apr 27, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gunners C next year as ive said for months now, not JOM. Let Gunners do it for 2-3 years then give to Worpel.
Thanks for everything Poppy.
Howe a late in despite being "managed" suggests they have pre planned a Stratts send off for next week.
A new jumping jack Ruck will make all the difference to our mids then to onto our forwards, thus also taking the heat off the backline a little. Easily said I know 😂

Gunners C next year as ive said for months now, not JOM. Let Gunners do it for 2-3 years then give to Worpel.
Thanks for everything Poppy.
Howe a late in despite being "managed" suggests they have pre planned a Stratts send off for next week.
A new jumping jack Ruck will make all the difference to our mids then to onto our forwards, thus also taking the heat off the backline a little. Easily said I know 😂
It’s all good in theory for us to nominate captains as if we are the club, but the thing to remember is that the playing group vote at the start of every year. It may well be Gunners > Worpel but it could also be a completely different direction.

Shot of Jaeger

Bleed Brown & Gold
Apr 27, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s all good in theory for us to nominate captains as if we are the club, but the thing to remember is that the playing group vote at the start of every year. It may well be Gunners > Worpel but it could also be a completely different direction.

Playing group never voted in Stratts champ.
And just my opinion, ofcourse it doesn't count, but blind Freddy could see he is our best on field leader and a high impact player the kids would look up to.

Glacier

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
close
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He’s 100% better by foot than Mitchell/Jaeger. He’s quicker too. That’s why those two are my biggest worry. I don’t want them both going forward. You can’t win games with your engine room that bad at disposing of the ball. I’ll get shot down for this.
You shouldn’t get shot down at all
But watch them come

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Watched him a bit today, he's kinda of like a dumb dinosaur. He's brain takes too long 2 make decisions that can get 2 his feet arms 2 complete the play. Or it gets there too quick and its worse he rushes 4 no reason.

Hes gone backwards this year but he's also completely lost his exuberance of last year he's a bloke who last year loved footy, this year he seems lost and not happy.

Commentators said this is the first time he's played 3+ games.

F*ck if we gave TOB 7+ seasons to see if he's any good we owe Mitch 1 at the very least

Playing group never voted in Stratts champ.
And just my opinion, ofcourse it doesn't count, but blind Freddy could see he is our best on field leader and a high impact player the kids would look up to.
Are you sure? Sauce? The playing group have always voted in the captain in Clarko’s tenure, something that’s been talked about by the club many times.

jiphoc

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2008
Buddy's Ego
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Opposition usually sit on JOM (he has torn teams apart when left on his own) and play off Mitchell a bit more to keep him accountable (particularly aerobically). It has left Cousins with a bit more space, which he is using to his advantage very well. If Hawks became a bit less predictable in the middle you would find JOM/ Mitchell would start to become a lot more influential. Problem is we really have a very average midfield rotation and poor depth in that department.

Jul 6, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought only Silk (on Wallis) and Gunston won their positions.
People are way too harsh on Titch. Coming back from a severe leg break. Not sure why he hasn’t be managed more.
Greaves doesn’t too much wrong.
Rather O’Brien in the ruck than Ceglar!
Finn was ok.
Looking forward to the draft (Pick 3 and hopefully the Bullies 1st) and getting back to Tassie and the G next year.
At least I can barrack for a win next week.
Missing the blonde prince strut his stuff.
Stratts, Poppy and Hendo to retire.
Keep the faith guys. We can turn this around a lot quicker than some of you think.

Back