AFL Toast Round 17: Only beat the Crows by 63 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I admire his courage, but why would he think nobody would be leading at the ball? I agree it wasn't a free kick to Tippa because Doedee had sole intention to mark or spoil the ball, but you just don't see this kind of lack of awareness very much at all.

Genuinely hope the guy is okay, though. It was a brutal collision.

I will say the forwards do not lead enough. Not sure if the poor use entering 50 confuses them at times but too often they are all just waiting for a long bomb. It is too bad as Harry and 2MP look good on the lead.
Being at the game I can tell you that wasn't quite the case. 7 minutes into the second, (I think it was) Hind running from half back and had split the defence open. As he crossed the centre circle, Jones made 1 lead with 5m seperation, he then pushed off and made a second with 3m open... the time Hind decided to kick a 20m pass, the defender was one on one with Jones and spoilt the mark.

Just dumb platy with ball in hand stopped our options of better marking positions in the F50.

Also, wherever possible, the Crows did park the bus.

Being at the game I can tell you that wasn't quite the case. 7 minutes into the second, (I think it was) Hind running from half back and had split the defence open. As he crossed the centre circle, Jones made 1 lead with 5m seperation, he then pushed off and made a second with 3m open... the time Hind decided to kick a 20m pass, the defender was one on one with Jones and spoilt the mark.

Just dumb platy with ball in hand stopped our options of better marking positions in the F50.

There was plenty of hand waving from Stringer when forward and Hooker.

Being at the game I can tell you the forwards did spend a lot of time waiting for a long bomb. I did not say we did not lead but it was plain to see there where a lot of times where all three where within 20 meters of each other with no lead offered. My comment was they do not lead enough. Harry does lead a bit more than the others but often he is the tall in the forward pocket. Heaven forbid if we ever tried a little blocking for each other.

I half agree with both of you above in regards to the leading/not leading situation.

Being at the game as well, there was a distinct lack of leading from our guys up the ground, probably until the last quarter where, if possible, Adelaide were trying even less.

The one thing I did notice us doing a lot more than ever before last night was 'attempting' to block for each other forward of the ball. Groups of 2s, 3s, huddle together, someone trying to put a block on etc... It wasn't always successful (actually, most of the time it wasn't) but I do like to see us trying these sorts of things.

Being at the game I can tell you the forwards did spend a lot of time waiting for a long bomb. I did not say we did not lead but it was plain to see there where a lot of times where all three where within 20 meters of each other with no lead offered. My comment was they do not lead enough. Harry does lead a bit more than the others but often he is the tall in the forward pocket. Heaven forbid if we ever tried a little blocking for each other.
1625903604589.png

I think that they all ended up running to the same spot if from here if I remember well enough. 5 meter lead to congestion.
There was another set up like this with Hooker and Wright but Jones was able to beat his man and come in from the side and take the mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that they all ended up running to the same spot if from here if I remember well enough. 5 meter lead to congestion.
There was another set up like this with Hooker and Wright but Jones was able to beat his man and come in from the side and take the mark.
Wright ended up nearly taking the mark but got a free for over the shoulder.

It seems the game plan from both of these guys is to sit in the goal square, keeping the hot zone free. have it kicked to a spot 5m in front of the goalsquare and have a run and jump at it. No real leading patterns, just a contested pack.

Only issue is any professional team worth their salt just parks at least 1 loose at that spot. making it 2 on 3/4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back