Autopsy Round 17 Swans Vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Tale of two halves for Blakey. His best is just SO good. He breaks lines and creates scoring opportunities with his seriously elite kicking. His worst... well, we've all seen it.

Wicks, Stephens and McInerney continued to show that they will be players who will be a part of our future. I didn't see the same in Bell and Amartey. (Probably not an ideal game for Amartey to debut in. Did some OK things, but needed to do more.)

Now hear me out... Stephens had 16 possessions tonight, a career-high for him and he got better as the game went on, nearly doubled what Rowbottom had last week playing banged up. Imagine we had Stephens last week against a very average Carlton side, and Rowbottom tonight, off a rest, against a dangerous Brisbane side. Because we were crying out for a mid who could extract it cleanly and couldn't really find one night all night. Really do think we got our "resting" schedule wrong, but I don't want to beat a dead horse...

I think this was the best game Hayward has played for a long time, in that it was exactly what we want Hayward to be doing: working up the ground to use his marking skills, then working back to get reward for himself on the scoreboard.

Great effort and as always have 22 blokes (give or take) who had a red hot crack, but when a handful of them are inferior at doing the job than the guys they're in for (Rampe, Heeney, Buddy, Hewett, Naismith, Dawson, Rowbottom), we're gonna be up against it every time.

Reid, JPK... just... no comment.

Ps. I told you all we'd lose ;)

thought parker was outstanding too, probably get used to it, but his forward work also adds so much like the way horse is using him

jmac is becoming a favourite for me

I thought Bell had a few nice moments. There were a couple of occasions when his ball pickup was very clean indeed (particularly given the conditions), and a couple of swift handballs he got to runners which allowed us to run hard forward. Still not sold on him overall but I didn’t think it was his worst showing.

Probably wasn’t a fair game for Amartey to be judged on. However my greatest concern with his game is I can barely remember a contest to which he was a marking target. I wasn’t at the ground so perhaps he was ignored but I don’t recall him really presenting for a contest or certainly he might have been there but didn’t have an impact (and this has been part of my concern with him prior to his debut). I’d like to see him get another run next week.

Positives

- we dug in the whole game, we can accept the loss if we did.
- Fox looks great in the role he's playing

Negatives

- Blakely dear lord! Work harder and stop trying to get mark or goal of the year every second!
- Armartey I now it was his first game, but sorry I saw nothing

Positives

Negatives

- Blakely dear lord! Work harder and stop trying to get mark or goal of the year every second!

Cannot agree at all on Blakey.

Look at what he is capable of when he gets his plays right. He won't get it right every time, and in fact this year he's got them wrong more often than not. But we've gotta keep encouraging him to play like that. The game changed when he was on tonight.

Also, that second quarter against Melbourne... his first quarter against GWS... Noticing the trend here? When Blakey plays well, we play well!

Cannot agree at all on Blakey.

Look at what he is capable of when he gets his plays right. He won't get it right every time, and in fact this year he's got them wrong more often than not. But we've gotta keep encouraging him to play like that. The game changed when he was on tonight.

And it changed the other way when he was lazy kicking. Honestly he needs a full pre season and all that pre season in the midfield.

Positives

Negatives

as Swans supporters we should be able to spell our players names !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's more a go at the club trying to make him a forward for half the season.

I hope Blakey and McInerney actually work together in the pre-season, because I see a lot of similarities in their games atm. Both play a pretty confident, arrogant style of footy atm, which is exactly what they're in the team for. But poor decision-making and sloppy ball use often comes with the territory when you're playing overly confident. They're both only 20 so haven't yet learned to reel it in and be disciplined with how they use it. That can only come from experience and maturity, but what won't help them learn is trying to change the way they play simply because they have a bad game (neither were bad tonight anyway.)

It's a testament to Horse that he's still encouraging them to play that way because when it works, we've seen what both are capable of, and those games will become more regular.

+'s

Parker was terrific
Defence held up
Allir showed his chops
J Mac and Stephens showed heaps
Bit of dare shown by younger players and Allir

I thought Bell had a few nice moments. There were a couple of occasions when his ball pickup was very clean indeed (particularly given the conditions), and a couple of swift handballs he got to runners which allowed us to run hard forward. Still not sold on him overall but I didn’t think it was his worst showing.

Probably wasn’t a fair game for Amartey to be judged on. However my greatest concern with his game is I can barely remember a contest to which he was a marking target. I wasn’t at the ground so perhaps he was ignored but I don’t recall him really presenting for a contest or certainly he might have been there but didn’t have an impact (and this has been part of my concern with him prior to his debut). I’d like to see him get another run next week.

Amartey strikes me as a nice boy but lacking the mongrel needed to play AFL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tale of two halves for Blakey. His best is just SO good. He breaks lines and creates scoring opportunities with his seriously elite kicking. His worst... well, we've all seen it.

Wicks, Stephens and McInerney continued to show that they will be players who will be a part of our future. I didn't see the same in Bell and Amartey. (Probably not an ideal game for Amartey to debut in. Did some OK things, but needed to do more.)

Now hear me out... Stephens had 16 possessions tonight, a career-high for him and he got better as the game went on, nearly doubled what Rowbottom had last week playing banged up. Imagine we had Stephens last week against a very average Carlton side, and Rowbottom tonight, off a rest, against a dangerous Brisbane side. Because we were crying out for a mid who could extract it cleanly and couldn't really find one night all night. Really do think we got our "resting" schedule wrong, but I don't want to beat a dead horse...

I think this was the best game Hayward has played for a long time, in that it was exactly what we want Hayward to be doing: working up the ground to use his marking skills, then working back to get reward for himself on the scoreboard.

Great effort and as always have 22 blokes (give or take) who had a red hot crack, but when a handful of them are inferior at doing the job than the guys they're in for (Rampe, Heeney, Buddy, Hewett, Naismith, Dawson, Rowbottom), we're gonna be up against it every time.

Reid, JPK... just... no comment.

Ps. I told you all we'd lose ;)
Eager to hear your thoughts on Clarke!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back