Autopsy Round 17 Swans Vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

And therein lies the problem.

Blakey is not some established superstar. He is from the same draft as Rowbottom and McInerney. Those two have Blakey's game yesterday - having a crack, getting involved, with some elite highlights scattered amongst some unsuccessful plays - we are currently raving about how promising they are. Blakey does it, and it's just not good enough dammit!
At least you know how to spell his name ! i don't know why you bother , he never listens.

And therein lies the problem.

Blakey is not some established superstar. He is from the same draft as Rowbottom and McInerney. Those two have Blakey's game yesterday - having a crack, getting involved, with some elite highlights scattered amongst some unsuccessful plays - we are currently raving about how promising they are. Blakey does it, and it's just not good enough dammit!

We've seen both those two especially Rowbottom have better games. It's not a big thing, he'll improve. What I do want is him to ONLY play in the midfield, none of this forward trash next season, he's not a forward.

Watching the game with the missus in the room - actual conversations. Really they are. And there were plenty more. Some highlights anyway.

She: Oh wow the Swans are in front and only 14 minutes to go.

Me: Sweetie that is time remaining in the first quarter, game just started so lot of footy to go.

She: But I want to watch the Notebook

Me: .........

Then later

She: Why don't they kick it to people on their side?

Me: They are trying to, you see there is pressure coming form the other side, it's a bit wet as well so it is not that easy.

She: They are kicking a ball Mark. And they get paid like $20,000 a year or something why can't they do it right. It just seems so silly. Can I put the Notebook on

Me: .........

And further on

She: Who was that big tall guy. In the red and white jumper. He just dropped that and it was an easy catch.

Me: That's Sam Reid and it is not a catch it is a "mark" just l like my name.

She: Well that was silly. And he is so tall. The red and white are the Swans aren't they? He is not very good is he? Can I watch the Notebook yet?

Me: No he isn't good. WTF do you mean who are the Swans? And no you can't watch the ******* Notebook yet.

She: No need to be rude. Oh now look that tall guy just kicked it out over the sideline. Is that bad?

Me: .......

And near the end

She: Well the other side just scored a lot of the goal thingies. You get 2 points for them right? Why only 2. Shouldn't you get more? I think more players from your side, the red and white ones Mark see I remembered, should try kicking more goals. If they did that they would win more games.

Me: fu** it. I am am ringing horse right now. You have cracked the magical secret to winning games. Kicking more 6 POINT goals. You could coach at senior level. Kick better, catch balls and score goals. Why didn't anyone else think of this!

She: I know you are being sarcastic and rude. It is not a good look sweetie. And what's a horse got to do with the soccer thing you watch.

Me: Screw it here is the Notebook

She: Good boy. Now run along and leave me alone and get me a wine and the tissues.

I need the season to end bad.

The Notebook 2 is better

Here he is, away we go , they are all on board .

You have posted more than me in this thread mate what is your problem?

Also I believe 90 percent of them are just whinging about others posting

And back to the game.

We did ok.

Most played ok.

I always had that sneaky suspicion Brisbane were going half pace sort of like we used to at our peak and they proved it.

All just meandering along till season end.

Older guys did well considering. Reid is a worry though, just not doing it well. Florent I did not realise was playing for ages. Both have to sort out their worst and best performances and collapse the gap between the two.

Felt for Joel. Slippery game against A grade quality to make your debut.

Can't really find anything we did not already know to be excited about.

Saw nothing given where the team is at to make we want punch a kitten.

After the first 5 minutes or so when I thought he was doing a Richmond again we at least tried to go forward - wish we could work out a better system to have a crack at goal more often.

Meh - 4 quarters to go and we can put the queue in the rack and TRAIN THE HOUSE DOWN OH YEH

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon you can add Rowbottom, plus Fox and McCartin in the back six to that list. And some promising glimpses of more dare in the coaches box.
Throw in plenty of fight and ticker from the kids. And the positive that we even had a season.
I already loved Rowbottom Fox and Mccartin before this season ☺

I really don't want McCartin to be made into a defender though. He will be a really solI'd forward if we play him there full time.

I agree he could still be a solid forward, but he's actually looked more than solid in defence. He was pretty much BOG in the second half against Port, against an opponent in Dixon that very few defenders in the competition have had much success in beating.

The reality is that until we clean up our midfield and start getting more, and better quality, inside 50s, McCartin will be languishing as a forward, getting out-numbered, going long periods of the game without seeing it, and only getting a few chances to show what he can do every game. Why waste a good tall player when he could be shining in a role that we really need someone in?

If we can settle on McCartin in defence that gives us a lot more clarity going forward and we can lock in that young developing back group and focus on the other end of the ground come draft and trade time.

Next year when Rampe is back I'd love to see McCartin & Melican take the key defensive posts, with Mills intercepting and Rampe rebounding as two 'generals'. Fox, Cunningham and Lloyd as the smalls.

Aliir I think has potential to be an excellent utility. He's still really good in defence, but only in small doses. I think when he's down there permanently, teams know how to play against him, but he's harder to play against when he's a wildcard roaming the field.

Jokes aside I think our best utility this season has been Dawson

You're probably right, although I was underwhelmed by Dawson's first half of the year. He's an enigma for me, I can't figure out what his best footy should look like or how we can get him to the point of being a dominant player on the ground, if that's even possible. Is it wrong to hope for more than 16 disposals a game from him?

At least Aliir we have an incentive to use him as a utility because he's not exactly dominating in his single role as a defender, whereas guys like Dawson, Heeney I think have potential to make a specific position their own because they can be that good.

You're probably right, although I was underwhelmed by Dawson's first half of the year. He's an enigma for me, I can't figure out what his best footy should look like or how we can get him to the point of being a dominant player on the ground, if that's even possible. Is it wrong to hope for more than 16 disposals a game from him?

At least Aliir we have an incentive to use him as a utility because he's not exactly dominating in his single role as a defender, whereas guys like Dawson, Heeney I think have potential to make a specific position their own because they can be that good.
I mean if he isn't swung from FF to a HBF then yeah, you can expect more from him. But I'd take a 16 at 90% with some bullet passes over 25 touches at 50% you know?

I mean if he isn't swung from FF to a HBF then yeah, you can expect more from him. But I'd take a 16 at 90% with some bullet passes over 25 touches at 50% you know?

Yeah I'm with you on that.

I just don't really feel when I'm watching a Swans game that he's dominating the way I get from other Swans when they're 'on'. He is still relatively inexperienced, only just played 40 games so I do think he will find the ball more easily as he continues to mature.

I made it very clear to my wife when we first started dating that footy time is sacrosanct. That she has all the rest of the week to bother me, not the 3 hours a week (for half the year) the Swans are playing. She is pretty good at respecting that.

Even sex is off the table and don’t worry she has tried (just to sh*t me) but she gets my angry eyes / a few choice words and knows better now.......

Very similar to my life... well the bit about sex being off the table

Remove this Banner Ad

Back