Preview Round 17 - Sydney vs Bulldogs Fri 8th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's best place for pre game beers preferably walking distance to scg?

There’s a few pubs in and around Paddington but there’s one close to the ground you can’t miss it’s right on the corner just be wary it will be busy

Buddy's 150th game for the Swans...whelp there's goes this weekend

Club probably keen to keep it on the down-low after the effort for Luke Parker last weekend.

If Bud only plays another 4 games this year, by my calculations he will have averaged 17 games a season over his nine year contract. Pretty good return given he had a year out. Remember when we signed him Derm said he only had something like 60 or 80 games left in him?

Last edited:

I've noticed that free opposition rover constantly powering out of the stoppage. Have to admit that I didn't realise we were deliberately setting up on the premise we would win the tap. Seems a bit all or nothing. It's worth trying at times but if it looks we're struggling, surely we can make a change on the run to man up?

We are certainly deliberately setting up this ấy. It's OK if we win the rucks. But if we don't and their ruck is able to hit up the loose player we struggle. Hickey struggled after 3/4 time. Hardly got a tập in the last. That was damaging because they kept getting goals and taking the ball out of the centre. They also won the stoppages by heaps. That hurt us badly.

We did not change the set ups even though we were being slaughtered

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We are certainly deliberately setting up this ấy. It's OK if we win the rucks. But if we don't and their ruck is able to hit up the loose player we struggle. Hickey struggled after 3/4 time. Hardly got a tập in the last. That was damaging because they kept getting goals and taking the ball out of the centre. They also won the stoppages by heaps. That hurt us badly.

We did not change the set ups even though we were being slaughtered

Do you think this is why JPK has looked so slow at the CB for the last couple of years? Given he's slowed a bit, can't afford to give a headstart to his opponent.

Drop no one as Gould isn’t worthy of a spot. He’s an undersized key position defender not a running defender like fox and Lloyd who won’t get dropped so there’s really no room for him IMO
Gould is very underrated. He can play anything. He is actually great on the medium or third forward. I think we could release Lloyd to the mids for some periods. If Gould were in the team this would help.

Gould has been very good. He is a quiet achiever. No frills, a bit like Teddy or Reg

That's the reality of it isn't it?

This season has been a case of, if only we can bridge the gap between our best and our worst, and play consistently over 4 quarters we'd be right up there in premiership calculations. But the fact is, we aren't there yet. And premiership teams don't experience those sorts of issues, so the sings are pretty clear imo. We're still a developing times and will take at least a year or two (possibly more) before we iron out those issues and become a more seasoned and consistent side.

Look at Brisbane for instance, they've been fine tuning for the last 3-4 years and are inching closer to becoming a premiership team, but still haven't been able to get over the hill. We're a fair way off their level atm, in terms of getting the right pieces together and putting in consistent performances.
I think quite a few of our problems are coaching errors. It starts at the selection table. We sect what we consider our best side to put on the park. But we often do not pick the best side to play our opponents on the day.

Secondly, I will go on about this, until hell freezes over, our mids set ups invite trouble if we lose the hit outs. Last week we should have played Clarke. He would have blanketed Hinde, who absolutely murdered us again. You would think that after giving him a huge tag the last time and shutting him out they might have learned something. But obviously not.

Club probably keen to keep it on the down-low after the effort for Luke Parker last weekend.

If Bud only plays another 4 games this year, by my calculations he will have averaged 17 games a season over his nine year contract. Pretty good return given he had a year out. Remember when we signed him Derm said he only had something like 60 or 80 games left in him?
its more about our abysmal milestone record :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think there's a need for wholesale changes, just a change in desire. 4 quarter desire and effort. It might be there, but it sure doesn't look like it most weeks.

Bailey Dale provides their drive and he has had 27 touches against us the last two times we've played them. Might be a broken record, but the Clarke option surely needs to be looked at. Campbell was a bit lost last week, that's the spot he takes.

I don't want to see Cunningham in if it's at Fox's expense, which, unless they move Lloyd or Florent up the ground, it will be.

Backs: Rampe, McCartin x 2, Blakey, Fox, Florent, Lloyd (7th)
Ruck: Hickey
Fwds: Franklin, McDonald, Reid, Hayward, Clarke, Heeney, Papley
Mids: Parker, Warner, Rowbottom, Mills, Stephens, McInerney, Gulden

I hope so. He's been ho hum
He's been out of form since the bye, but went into the bye off the back of a huge game against the Dees.

I don't think we should reasonably expecting much more than what he has currently been offering, and although he was poor last week, I can't see how dropping him improves our team.

He's been out of form since the bye, but went into the bye off the back of a huge game against the Dees.

I don't think we should reasonably expecting much more than what he has currently been offering, and although he was poor last week, I can't see how dropping him improves our team.

Who is everyone bringing in for him and don’t say Wicks please. I’d rather Gulden play.

Was absolutely woeful against Essendon i hope he is dropped
The cycle of dropping the 22nd/23rd player in the side isn't the reason why the Swans are losing games.

Ask Mills and Parker why they cant get 20 disposals (a pretty bloody low benchmark for mids) week in week out.

That's all fair Wolfy.

I feel we are a little top heavy & should we bring Ladhams in to play alongside our main ruckman Hickey & Reid, then that makes for a very top heavy team.
I guess that means that Logan gets dropped again only a few weeks after kicking 3.3 against Melbourne.
We have a problem here because Buddy in no way gets dropped but he cannot physically play his best role for the team as that roaming danger up the ground running toward goal. As the match wears on he has to stay deep & hope that he can take a juggling contested mark because he never takes a clean overhead mark anymore. Bud is a ground ball player with the best disposal in the team. I think Richo up on the wing but non way Bud can do that role at 35.
So our best line up would mean out Sam Reid, in Ladhams. Second ruckman for second ruckman.
It may also mean out Logan & in Ronke or Wicks leaving us with two blokes that can help run with the small Dogs team.
Caleb Daniel out is a big plus for us as he is their creator from deep & with forward pressure from an extra small, it swings the game closer our way.

Yes Logan can learn from Bud but he hasn't thus far. He is his own style of player who can take contested grabs. That's never been Bud's go.

Anyway Wolfy, just some of my frustrations coming out on here which could be way off the
Was absolutely woeful against Essendon i hope he is dropped
Needs more than dropping. Name on the whiteboard should be thrown in the bin. Nothing player. Runs up down like a headless chook, gets the odd disposal where he kicks dinky lofted bombs to a contest or if not that turns it over directly. Panic merchant who s**t himself at a crucial stage last week in the last qtr and gets thrown around like a pack of barbecue shapes at a barbie. And people question our s**t year and drop off from last year ?????

Yep keep playing him ! 🙄

The cycle of dropping the 22nd/23rd player in the side isn't the reason why the Swans are losing games.

Ask Mills and Parker why they cant get 20 disposals (a pretty bloody low benchmark for mids) week in week out.
Last week was the first time all season that Mills has gone under 20, and he didn't play onball until the 4th quarter

Parker has had a little more trouble consistently hitting 20, but he's done it in all but one of our losses (Suns). He carries the team when we need it, and takes a back seat when others are cooking. Hard to criticise him for that, especially after our last two losses when barely anybody showed up

I don't think there's a need for wholesale changes, just a change in desire. 4 quarter desire and effort. It might be there, but it sure doesn't look like it most weeks.

Bailey Dale provides their drive and he has had 27 touches against us the last two times we've played them. Might be a broken record, but the Clarke option surely needs to be looked at. Campbell was a bit lost last week, that's the spot he takes.

I don't want to see Cunningham in if it's at Fox's expense, which, unless they move Lloyd or Florent up the ground, it will be.

Backs: Rampe, McCartin x 2, Blakey, Fox, Florent, Lloyd (7th)
Ruck: Hickey
Fwds: Franklin, McDonald, Reid, Hayward, Clarke, Heeney, Papley
Mids: Parker, Warner, Rowbottom, Mills, Stephens, McInerney, Gulden
Yep, Clarke on Dale for me. Or if Clarke isn't brought back in, Hayward has been used defensively before.

I'd move Lloyd up the ground, keep Florent, Fox down back and Cunningham in. Interesting to see how they do it, but I'd be very surprised if Cunninghams stays out, but pretty peeved if Fox is dropped too. It requires breaking with tradition and Lloyd not getting the lions share of kick-ins, so I expect to be disappointed somehow. Campbell the one out for me, for Cunners. Get him to play a bigger role at reserves level for now, if you're not going to use him well.

I have no idea what we'll do with talls. But won't be surprised if McLean sails in off one good game in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back