Review Round 17 vs Adelaide

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Watched him last week kick a 15m pass from the back pocket across goals to split 2 suns players and hit his opponent who was standing between them on the chest directly in front. That’s what you call a Clayton special.
This week it was a handball to a teammate 5 meters away when he was 20m out from goal. Handball went directly into the ground and just bounced around. Like I said, he long ago checked out.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yes we were competitive but with such a young immature team we were never going to be able to keep that style of play up for the season. Our team was closer to full strength and the boys were playing off excitement and enthusiasm early on. When the injuries set in and wins dried up this was always going to happen, I just didn’t think it would be as bad as 2011 again.
But I just don't see any massive improvement with the current injured players
Jack Martin makes a difference whether he's checked in or out simply because he has class around the ball and on the ground
Ah Chee and Ainsworth will help but they're not match winners and they've played about 8 games between them this year anyway
Bowes is a significant player for us and Collins out has hurt our defensive structure
So really in terms of outs who have played significant footy for us this year it's Bowes Martin and Collins
Do those players back make 100 points difference?

Last edited:

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Miller 287 metres gained was actually 7th most on our team last night.. embarrassing on its own.
Along with Macpherson, team high 8 turnovers.

Basically on his season average 278 metres gained.

Average 3.7 turnovers per game

As a comparison for 'similar' type of players

Brad Crouch 390m gained / 5.5 TO
George Hewett 171m gained / 3.6 TO
Jed Anderson 227m gained / 3.2 TO
Jack Viney 313m gained / 4.4 TO
Jack Graham 237m gained / 4.1 TO

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It was a dumb answer in the circumstances and shows he is lost. Are you suggesting more talent won't help us. No one suggested it would help us immediately he added that all himself. But it's a vital piece of the puzzle.
In a rebuild you are not just concerned about next year. He's just handed the VFL a loaded gun. Very poor. I guarantee you Cochrane ripped into him.
You need a core of good A/B players between 25-28yo to develop draft talent
We don't have that- and it's the reason Clubs like Richmond Sydney and Hawthorn can take pick 35 and turn them into footballers
I'm not sure a priority pick would be any good to us other than to trade it for an A grader
I've been posting on this board for 10 years about "FFS.Not another 18yo"
It was an emotional response by Dew- a political error because you never say no to a freebie-but understandable in the moment

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
It was a dumb answer in the circumstances and shows he is lost. Are you suggesting more talent won't help us. No one suggested it would help us immediately he added that all himself. But it's a vital piece of the puzzle.
In a rebuild you are not just concerned about next year. He's just handed the VFL a loaded gun. Very poor. I guarantee you Cochrane ripped into him.
IF anything it just shows that the key figures within the club are not singing the same tune. Out of sync.

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You need a core of good A/B players between 25-28yo to develop draft talent
We don't have that- and it's the reason Clubs like Richmond Sydney and Hawthorn can take pick 35 and turn them into footballers
I'm not sure a priority pick would be any good to us other than to trade it for an A grader
I've been posting on this board for 10 years about "FFS.Not another 18yo"
It was an emotional response by Dew- a political error because you never say no to a freebie-but understandable in the moment
Should have been better and blind Fred knew that angle was coming not good enough.
A rebuild is a 4 /5 year plan we absolutely need a PP. Very poor at a Press Conference. VFL handed a loaded gun just watch all the headlines this week.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Terrible coaching. After sleeping on it l'm absolutely furious with him as well the way he fobbed off the PP proposal.
"lts not the answer."
Really who in the press conference suggested it was "The Answer." Then he rolled back and fobbed it off like l can team meeting the boys out of this. We don't have the talent you clown. Well done the VFL will now say even your coach doesn't want a PP.
Nice one Stu well played.
Awesome just opened news feeds and headline.
"Prioty pick won't solve Suns woes : Dew".
Well done DH.
If I was reading between the lines I’d say he meant “just a priority pick” isn’t the answer.
And he’s right. We need much more than one priority pick to even become a mid-table side. We need allowances outside the salary cap to be able to attract good players, a retention allowance like the Lions used to get would be a good start. Have the AFL also provide 2-3 Ambassador allowances of say $250k per player per season to further induce players to come here. A decent Academy zone would be nice. Invest more into the Academy to match what the other clubs are doing. More money for our conditioning and medical departments. How about a mini-draft for us, after all GWS got two that cost us 3 first rounders for O’Cockface and Martin.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Should have been better and blind Fred knew that angle was coming not good enough.
A rebuild is a 4 /5 year plan we absolutely need a PP. Very poor at a Press Conference. VFL handed a loaded gun just watch all the headlines this week.
I'm not sure any second year Coach sitting in front of the cameras after his 2nd 100 point thrashing at home would have been better
You'd have to be Winston Churchill
He's thinking about next week or next year and he's right, a priority pick wont make a jot of difference to those outcomes
In perfect circumstances he wouldn't have said that but last night was hardly perfect

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
The sun came up for a new day!

A quick summary of what I think we're missing from our 22 right now with injuries or guys down on form:

Ah Chee, Rankine, Powell, Collins, Thompson, Bowes, Ainsworth, Martin, Holman, 2MP.

That's 10. TEN! 10 From our 22 last night that should not be playing ideally IMO.

Looking at the team last night, I saw these issues:

We have no real wingers/outside mids playing. We have flankers and inside mids filling these spots.
We have no KPDs playing. And the guy we're asking to hold down a second KPD spot is a promising kid in his second year (Ballard) that should not be doing what's asked of him.
We have one inside mid playing that doesn't look cooked: Dave Swallow. The rest look to be completely out of gas and their numbers/ability to cover the ground show this quite clearly.
We have no crumbing forwards playing. Not one.
We have one genuine key forward in form: Sam Day. He's actually moving and playing the best I've seen him.

Put all this together and get it to play a team where our average losing margin is 50+ points and the result isn't too surprising.

With that said:

I like that Dew was emotional. He's clearly super invested in this team. But that doesn't change the fact we had some really questionable Coaching choices that have occurred.

Brodie playing forward: If you're going to play Will Brodie, at least play him where he can contribute. Everyone knows he's not a forward. And at least if he played in the guts we might have competed a bit better. If we need a forward, pick someone else that has played forward in the NEAFL to get us there. Nutting even would be better.

Not planning ahead for when Jenkins and Tex inevitably get control. I have no idea what they were thinking putting Ballard on Jenkins. In the second half they finally swung King back to at least put someone taller on him, but that's still not the answer. We have a real promising young kid in Graham that could have done okay in this space. At the very least he gets experience out of it. Instead he's playing in the suburbs of Western Sydney.

Heron: Just not AFL quality. I think that was clear last week.

Rischa: Again, if you're going to play him, why didn't he play midfield? You know, the spot where he has been going well in the 2s? Instead we just throw him mostly forward with stints in the mid, a position he has rarely played before. Then we swung him back late.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If I was reading between the lines I’d say he meant “just a priority pick” isn’t the answer.
And he’s right. We need much more than one priority pick to even become a mid-table side. We need allowances outside the salary cap to be able to attract good players, a retention allowance like the Lions used to get would be a good start. Have the AFL also provide 2-3 Ambassador allowances of say $250k per player per season to further induce players to come here. A decent Academy zone would be nice. Invest more into the Academy to match what the other clubs are doing. More money for our conditioning and medical departments. How about a mini-draft for us, after all GWS got two that cost us 3 first rounders for O’Cockface and Martin.
Correct
And in fact we can now argue from that perspective- that "just" a priority pick is pissing in the wind
If he'd said yes then the AFL would twist it to and end of first round throwaway-"Oh that's all they need"

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
That Joyce picture just turn me off, seriously look at the mirror.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The sun came up for a new day!

A quick summary of what I think we're missing from our 22 right now with injuries or guys down on form:

Ah Chee, Rankine, Powell, Collins, Thompson, Bowes, Ainsworth, Martin, Holman, 2MP.

That's 10. TEN! 10 From our 22 last night that should not be playing ideally IMO.

Hmmmm
Ah Chee Holman Thompson Rankine and Ainsworth have played 20 games between them this year so they're not the answer to what happened last night
Powell I don't rate at the moment but I guess he might develop
Martin won't be here next year
It seems the Club can't develop 2MP's potential
So the missing secret sauce must be Bowes Holman and Collins!
And beleive me, for an AFL Club that's just sad

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Hmmmm
Ah Chee Holman Thompson Rankine and Ainsworth have played 20 games between them this year so they're not the answer to what happened last night
Powell I don't rate at the moment but I guess he might develop
Martin won't be here next year
It seems the Club can't develop 2MP's potential
So the missing secret sauce must be Bowes Holman and Collins!
And beleive me, for an AFL Club that's just sad
All of those guys I listed make us better. If not for games played, then just talent alone.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Injured, and I don't think so. Looks like he's run out of time to build enough to get a game.

That’s a shame, keen to see him play after all the hype. Glad to see him re-sign and avoid a year of speculation too.

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
But I just don't see any massive improvement with the current injured players
Jack Martin makes a difference whether he's checked in or out simply because he has class around the ball and on the ground
Ah Chee and Ainsworth will help but they're not match winners and they've played about 8 games between them this year anyway
Bowes is a significant player for us and Collins out has hurt our defensive structure
So really in terms of outs who have played significant footy for us this year it's Bowes Martin and Collins
Do those players back make 100 points difference?
and Thompson, I think Fiorini was a much better player when he was coupled with Bowes too

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don’t think we’re after a priority pick 1 anyway - just pitching high to outrage the vic clubs and settle for some other compensation to land an experienced A-grader. Doesn’t help team morale when you have your chairman saying “we’re terrible and need help” at the same time we’re trying to build confidence.

Keep that stuff under wraps and between the club/AFL

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
IF anything it just shows that the key figures within the club are not singing the same tune. Out of sync.
I think most have missed the point on this because the question put to him was "how does another 18 year old fix what's wrong at the club" and Stewie said as I see it that alone wont fix it I think he was intimating its a lot more than that and a whole of club approach not just getting a new star kid and I agree

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Terrible coaching. After sleeping on it l'm absolutely furious with him as well the way he fobbed off the PP proposal.
"lts not the answer."
Really who in the press conference suggested it was "The Answer." Then he rolled back and fobbed it off like l can team meeting the boys out of this. We don't have the talent you clown. Well done the VFL will now say even your coach doesn't want a PP.
Nice one Stu well played.
Awesome just opened news feeds and headline.
"Prioty pick won't solve Suns woes : Dew".
Well done DH.
Agree it’s a dumb answer but the paper running that’s story is Tasmanian

They can self-love all they want but there’s 44,000 AFL participants in tassie (grown 4K in 8 years) vs 250,000+ in Queensland (up 150k since our club started)

We might be awful but there’s no way the AFL is ignoring the $$ up here

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Correct
And in fact we can now argue from that perspective- that "just" a priority pick is pi**ing in the wind
If he'd said yes then the AFL would twist it to and end of first round throwaway-"Oh that's all they need"
Evans is presenting a major submission to the AFL in relation to what we need (and other clubs) going forward.
Part of this presentation will be a priority pick. The media have jumped on the priority aspect because they have no idea what else is contained within this submission.
Dew is right - one priority pick won't solve anything.

Back