Review Round 17 vs Adelaide

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Needed to win the Melb or St Kilda game to keep the spirits up.
Confidence is absolutely shot to pieces.
Chipping the ball 15 metres backwards, sideways and the opposition are waiting for the inevitable clanger kick or dropped mark to run it back.
Adelaide were 6.6 at one point and 4.5 of that was from turnovers.

Fremantle 7-5 dropped a game to Melb and Carlton and are now shot to pieces (same players). Media calling for Lyon's head.
Dew mentioned confidence plenty of times because that's the issue.
It's up to him and his coaches to try and get that back.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It's up to him and his coaches to try and get that back.

I'd be organising a full 100 minute game this week
Firsts vs All Comers.
Anyone of quality they scratch up from around the traps.
Ressies, coaches, recently retirees
Let the boys go out and smash one
It's amazing what a win, any win and playing as a team can foster
But no doubt they'll have ultimate faith in their "processes" and just go on doing the same old same old

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Agree it’s a dumb answer but the paper running that’s story is Tasmanian

They can self-love all they want but there’s 44,000 AFL participants in tassie (grown 4K in 8 years) vs 250,000+ in Queensland (up 150k since our club started)

We might be awful but there’s no way the AFL is ignoring the $$ up here
the participation base and growth of the sport at grass roots is exponential up here ...that's whats going to force the AFL to do what it takes to make us a competitive footy team, they need to be able to keep charging Fox huge dollars for the expansion club games

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd be organising a full 100 minute game this week
Firsts vs All Comers.
Anyone of quality they scratch up from around the traps.
Ressies, coaches, recently retirees
Let the boys go out and smash one
It's amazing what a win, any win and playing as a team can foster
But no doubt they'll have ultimate faith in their "processes" and just go on doing the same old same old
I was just reading the comments on the thread and yours stood out. Back in the early 1990's when Italian football was the best in the world, it was not unheard of for teams like AC Milan, Juventus etc to arrange games against amateur sides leading into the season. They would smash them but the aim was to get the strikers putting the ball in the net multiple times against opposition. Confidence is something you can't buy and for a striker to continually hit the back of the net and have the feeling of striking the ball well was just another angle for advantage. So as unlikely it is that the suns could arrange such a match in this season, going forward, it would not be the worst idea imo to set up something like this leading into the season and maybe at mid season break (if you can find a team capable of putting up some sort of challenge - ie maybe southport etc). It might be a little way to get some confidence back into the team by getting a big win under their belt and maybe kicking a big big score regardless of the opposition. Best of luck for the rest of the season

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I was just reading the comments on the thread and yours stood out. Back in the early 1990's when Italian football was the best in the world, it was not unheard of for teams like AC Milan, Juventus etc to arrange games against amateur sides leading into the season. They would smash them but the aim was to get the strikers putting the ball in the net multiple times against opposition. Confidence is something you can't buy and for a striker to continually hit the back of the net and have the feeling of striking the ball well was just another angle for advantage. So as unlikely it is that the suns could arrange such a match in this season, going forward, it would not be the worst idea imo to set up something like this leading into the season and maybe at mid season break (if you can find a team capable of putting up some sort of challenge - ie maybe southport etc). It might be a little way to get some confidence back into the team by getting a big win under their belt and maybe kicking a big big score regardless of the opposition. Best of luck for the rest of the season
Done it this pre season against broadbeach side smash the hell out of them like Adelaide did do gold Coast in AFL.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You'd hardly say playing us on the weekend was a challenge but I bet the Crows boys were over the moon
Winning is a habit
In another thread Sun Tzu basically said the game's won before the bounce of the ball often

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
You'd hardly say playing us on the weekend was a challenge but I bet the Crows boys were over the moon
Winning is a habit
In another thread Sun Tzu basically said the game's won before the bounce of the ball often
honestly, after the rancid 2nd halves V Geelong and Port in the fortnight before, I am sure that the message from the club is that they were very happy to get a good win..doesn't disguise that the crows are a middle of the road team that beat a team that is really struggling at the minute - certainly not finals worthy are the crows. As for the second part of your comment - yes, I have played sport with Argentinians before and they certainly say back in their country the referee is told what the score is before a ball is kicked

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 33 Bounces

Scheer 23 (21w, 2i)
Swallow 20
Miles 19 (2w)
Fiorini 17 (1w)
Hanley 16 wing
Miller 14 (7w, 7i)
Lemmens 14
MacPherson 13 (2w)
Weller 11 wing
Rischitelli 10
Sexton 5 wing
Brodie 3 (2i, 1w)

Rucks:
Witts 23
Day 10

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
Witts 3
Miles 3
Swallow 2
Rischitelli 1
Miller 1
MacPherson 1
Lemmens 1
Hanley 1

1st Half - 16

Fiorini 11 (1w)
MacPherson 10
Swallow 9
Weller 9 wing
Scheer 8 wing
Miles 7
Miller 7 (5w, 2i)
Rischitelli 6
Sexton 5 wing
Hanley 3 wing
Lemmens 3
Brodie 2 (1w, 1i)

Witts 14
Day 2

2nd Half - 17

Scheer 15 (13w, 2i)
Hanley 13 wing
Miles 12 (2w)
Swallow 11
Lemmens 11
Miller 7 (2w)
Fiorini 6
Rischitelli 4
MacPherson 3 (2w, 1i)
Weller 2 wing
Brodie 1

Witts 9
Day 8

Notes:
- Career high starts for Lemmens & Scheer in analysed games.
- The 2nd time Scheer has finished in your top 6 mids in analysed games - the other being Rd 8, 2018
- The last time Hanley finished in your side's top 6 mids in an analysed game was Rd 22, 2017
- Most starts for Rischitelli in an analysed game since Rd 18, 2017
- All of Lemmens & Hanley's starts were in the last 3 quarters, whilst all bar of 1 of Scheer's starts came after the Laird tag was dropped at quarter time.
- MacPherson had 7 starts in the first, then 6 for the remainder of the game.
- Fiorini is an excellent wing, but Dew insists on playing him inside despite historically never being an overly strong clearance player
- All of Sexton's starts were in Q1; no starts for Rischitelli in Q3 or Weller in Q4
- Brodie didn't actually start on the wing for sole start - the wing was starting on the back defensive corner (and became a 7th back), Brodie was the player who ran from the forward line to man up Adelaide's spare wing and then (briefly) play in the role. As mentioned earlier - Brodie's sole inside starts were when you were 42pts down and then 81pts down.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
We've got a terrible list with a number of injuries - a number of sub-AFL players are out there.
If you were missing Talia (Thompson), Doedee (Collins), Crouch (Bowes), Atkins (Ainsworth), Seedsman (Ah Chee), Betts (Rankine), Milera (Martin), Greenwood (Holman), Knight (Powell)

Do you think you would be a worse team than present?

I'm back hopefully enough time has passed.

But in short, yes. Hell we got flogged by Port last week.

My question was more in relation to the almost hopelessness of the situation, clearly you are rebuilding so any injury to any senior player exaggerates the issue.

GC are clearly an easy target of the s**t filled AFL media, I'm just more curious because i genuinely see GC as a good move and one that will be successful in the long run.(although i do like the GWS song better than GC ).

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm back hopefully enough time has passed.

But in short, yes. Hell we got flogged by Port last week.

My question was more in relation to the almost hopelessness of the situation, clearly you are rebuilding so any injury to any senior player exaggerates the issue.

GC are clearly an easy target of the s**t filled AFL media, I'm just more curious because i genuinely see GC as a good move and one that will be successful in the long run.(although i do like the GWS song better than GC ).

I’m quietly excited by the fact everyone’s going all in on Gold Coast.
Just means the AFL need to act.
And not offer 3 state league players and say they have mark evans and stuey dew they are heading in the right direction.
Just takes time.

Everyone’s sick of waiting.
The rest of the AFL community want the Suns flourishing and winning games of football now.

I’m just waiting for Eddie McGuire’s response from being thrown under the bus from Jono Brown last night

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I fully expect the AFL to sit on there hands and do nothing hoping that a couple of wins in the final 6 games changes the narrative and they won’t have to do anything

If not they still have an easy out if they have to comment, just say they are waiting on the report from Evans and will digest it over the remainder of the season. Everything quiets down and it’s business as usual

The stupidity of the AFL is that they have all but lost a generation of supporters already. I mean how many of you with kids are seeing those kids become passionate Suns supporters. My 3 are either indifferent or supporting successful teams, why? Because we have been rubbish for our entire existence

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Support from an unexpected source.
Taylor walker goes in to bat for us.
Yeah I thought good on him to until I listened to the audio were he also said he ask Jack Lukosius in the middle of the game what he was doing next year and if he come to the crows he would give him his jumper number.

Here a link to the interview

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Yeah I thought good on him to until I listened to the audio were he also said he ask Jack Lukosius in the middle of the game what he was doing next year and if he come to the crows he would give his his jumper number
That's his sense of humour

At least we didn't put him on the big screen in Crows Guernsey before the game like a certain hick town did to us.

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I wouldn't take that too personally. Just a bit of banter. The fact that he's stating outright that GC needs more help tells me that Walker is all about the game's expansion. So good on him for that. It also tells me that GC being in dire straits is discussed on a player level... AFL really can't hide from that...

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Back