Review Round 17 - vs Collingwood @ The Gabba (14/9/20 at 7:10pm)

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
BTW 25 frees to 10 tonight
My favourite was an out of position Grundy looking around and ramming backwards into Wittsy at our HF then throwing himself forward as soon as he felt contact and getting a free that directly led to their 2nd goal in the first quarter
Remarkable
And half of those were Maynard kicking out on the full

*peaks in, takes off my pies nuffie hat*

It was close like I wanted it.

I thought they played quite well. Better than in recent weeks. Clearly they had chances to win the game, especially in that last quarter. Holman's error in the goal squad was silly, but I wouldn't say that's what cost the game. Probably the speed, the composure which will get easier in time.
But the pressure the suns put on was great. I didn't feel they stopped all night, which is what Dew advised them.

They fought hard. But in the end was just beaten by someone who had it all on the line to play for.

De Goey the clear reason why the pies won. He just is a match winner and can outbody people. He's quite the physical presence.

I thought Touk was great with his speed. Sexton was fantastic in that first quarter. Could have have a few more if they converted. Ellis, Greenwood and Anderson were all good.

In the end, they could have put themselves in front if they converted their chances more often.

But overall, they played well.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Was this performance not acceptable? Our bottom 5 would be the worst bottom 5 in the league so we are effectively playing 17 v 22 out there. We where missing 3 clear best 22 players tonight that would of cleaned out 3 of the bottom 5 so i thought we did pretty well. Skills weren't great but the thinking and the ideas where. Great base to build off
Collingwood also missing a few handy players.
Agree though. I thought the performance was encouraging. Too many basic errors from the same parties.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
Some of the comments by posters I respect in here really disappoint me. Especially eppo insulting Dew for his weight simply because it's obvious one of his buddies is Dean Solomon and he's salty about Dew choosing his own guys.

Taking a break from this board. I didn't think we played badly, just lacked polish like young teams do. Some of the comments in here are nasty and entitled.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
I checked the timestamp on this thread, for a while I thought I was reading comments about round 17 in 2019 while the team was in the midst of a long and painful and cruel losing streak. Then I realised that posters going crook at players that are not up to it during the 2nd last game of the year is an important step for us. Better than being indifferent.

In summary: we are good enough as a team that posters should feel something about the team.

Last night there were a lot of negatives and a lot of positives, and next year, there are good reasons to be optimistic and good reasons to be pessimistic. Hallalejuh, we are an AFL team! Welcome to the world of just about every other team in the comp.

At least we know who to blame or praise in the next 2 years. The playing group is mostly signed up, the coaching staff is set and the list management staff is set. Lets go!

PS.
Powell is one player that has gone from "get him out of the team" early in the season to one of the key members of our current and future back 6. Well done to the player and the coaching staff. Has a chance to be really good.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Holman goals and we are a point up mid way through the 3rd. Not bad considering Collingwood’s pressure was off the charts in the 3rd.
A few of the young guys appeared cooked late in the game and this showed with silly 50s, free kicks etc.
On the right track. 9-10 regulars were 1st & 2nd year kids playing. Need more mature bodies around the ball and keep the gun kids coming through draft and academy.
As for Dave Swallow he’ll be used sparingly into the centre in spurts. His first 10 minutes of the 3rd when we were under attack was superb. 3 clearances and went forward for a goal too. He’s no going to be a 30 disp mid these days but some of what he does goes unnoticed

I thought our pressure around the ball was excellent in that last quarter (all game really). Even though we were absolutely exhausted after a short break. Made them earn it. A few stupid errors that have people calling for players heads but in the light of day we just aren't quite there yet but a massive improvement over last year.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I thought our pressure around the ball was excellent in that last quarter (all game really). Even though we were absolutely exhausted after a short break. Made them earn it. A few stupid errors that have people calling for players heads but in the light of day we just aren't quite there yet but a massive improvement over last year.

Agree entirely, plus we were 1 down on rotations from early in the game, with a young team and coming off a 5 day break. That needs to be taken into account as well.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
All i can said i agree .

Finn Jim

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey there,

I didn't want to post last night in here because it seemed like emotions were high.

But I wanted to say I've watched most of your games this year and I was afraid of this one. Your boys came out hard and I thought after the 1st quarter "holy f they are going to do it."

Alas it wasn't to be, and I think that had to do a little with your youth, the difference in breaks coming into the game, and Collingwoods returners in Treloar and De Goey having season-best outings.

But there's a lot to be happy about. You have an exciting gamestyle, some talented guns, one of whom has played virtually the entire year in the coaches box.

He comes back, you've got Rankine, and I expect you will beat Hawthorn for confidence into the off-season. The Suns are seriously a chance for finals next year.

TheGeneralmeg

Senior List
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Collingwoood line-up is the oldest one of this round, 26 years 7 months. With these 3 ins (2 due to injury/illness) Suns became 1 year older, 24 years 5 months.

I am curious, what would be your replacements to indicate progress? They seem logical to me considering the selections this year. Harbrow still belongs according to selection committee (I agree) and Lemmens and Holman bring pressure, mature bodies and played this year.

In defense, possibly Joyce could play but does not have a speed, McLennan had some injury recently so probably not ready to debut.

Regarding forward line, Flanders got a taste, Rosas not ready and Farrar probably the same.
Reading the reserves notes over past few weeks seems only Farrar and possibly Conroy are performing at the level they like. May be a few nervous boys who out of covtract. Do they play anymore matches

Back