Preview Round 17 vs Essendon, 7:25pm, Metricon Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah Chee for a top ten pick in I think now his 3rd year is becoming a bit of a worry
Small forwards & skinny outside types like AhChee are traditionally downhill skiers. Hard to tell in our team.
The deal with Melbourne during that draft still baffles me. We were apparently really into Oliver too and gave him away

It's possible Ah Chee's personal issues (why he went to WA) could be affecting him. Or at least I hope that's the case. He looked like an absolute mile off it last night. Barely got involved in the play, and when he did it was mistake after mistake. Difficult to watch.

Also an interesting point I noticed is that we didn't really handle the conditions well. We used to play Metricon at night quite well and it gave us a neat advantage against travelling teams. But given we had Metricon unavailable this year until round 10 and most of our games being Twilight games since, we have lost our touch in those conditions. GC players kept fumbling over and over or dropping marks. Hopefully won't take too long to re-adjust to what we were in that space.

Id love to see barlow, fiorini, hanley, KK and even rosa all into the side but feel and history of selections this year all are unlikely maybe 1 or 2 to come in with ainsworth.

So im hoping
Out: ah chee, schoenfeld and powell
IN ainsworth, hanley and fiorini

Sorry for a 17er style post but do we expect too much from our 2-5 year players?
A lot of them are still relatively raw in terms of games played, most have hardly won a game and even our “senior” guys to an extent have had the same issue considering that they’ve never really had a senior core group of players around them..
We’ve always had good talented kids but never had a solid core of good senior leaders since the inception of the club

Our leadership group consist of

Captains May & Lynch
Been with the club since day 1 have only won about 30 games each never had good leaders themselves

Swallow
Similar to the captains spent a long time out injured

Rosa
Plenty of experience but not sure on leadership qualities

Barlow
Good leader and experience but out a fair bit at the end of last year injured and this year playing neafl mostly

Touk
3rd year player would only have won a few games good young leader still inexperienced in games played

Witts
Not sure of leadership qualities but wouldn’t imagine he’d be in Collingwoods leadership group if he was still there

Hanley
Came from Brisbane similar issues to the suns revolving door of players coming and going lots of kids off field club issues.. a lot of time in and out of the side injured

Then we have Rischitelli and harbrow our senior players both came in from the start with a bit more experience but probably more players who seem to be more onfield leaders

As a club we’ve never really had a solid core group of leaders to really drive those standards on and off field.. we’ve mostly had talented kids who are potential leaders in a losing culture

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry for a 17er style post but do we expect too much from our 2-5 year players?
A lot of them are still relatively raw in terms of games played, most have hardly won a game and even our “senior” guys to an extent have had the same issue considering that they’ve never really had a senior core group of players around them..
We’ve always had good talented kids but never had a solid core of good senior leaders since the inception of the club

Our leadership group consist of

Captains May & Lynch
Been with the club since day 1 have only won about 30 games each never had good leaders themselves

Swallow
Similar to the captains spent a long time out injured

Rosa
Plenty of experience but not sure on leadership qualities

Barlow
Good leader and experience but out a fair bit at the end of last year injured and this year playing neafl mostly

Touk
3rd year player would only have won a few games good young leader still inexperienced in games played

Witts
Not sure of leadership qualities but wouldn’t imagine he’d be in Collingwoods leadership group if he was still there

Hanley
Came from Brisbane similar issues to the suns revolving door of players coming and going lots of kids off field club issues.. a lot of time in and out of the side injured

Then we have Rischitelli and harbrow our senior players both came in from the start with a bit more experience but probably more players who seem to be more onfield leaders

As a club we’ve never really had a solid core group of leaders to really drive those standards on and off field.. we’ve mostly had talented kids who are potential leaders in a losing culture

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You really read my mind , I am not asking much just win or go to GF in NEAFL at least once like GWS , Sydney and Brisbane , right now there is no leadership in both AFL and Neafl because of injuries , Barlow is the only one that drive the kids forward in NEAFL , Not one particular player playing in AFL provide consistent leadership quality , Swallow is close and May is hot and cold with his discipline and injuries .

Deja vu for us long suffering supporters ; two quarters of reasonably good football to build up our hopes and then in the space of five minutes
of the opening third quarter Essendon up the ante and we just fall of the cliff.It was like we had a different group of players after half time.
For me at the moment we are just simply not good enough to go with the better teams in the competition.
Due to a lack of depth (injuries and quality) we are playing too many players who are simply way out of form
Rischitelli Joyce Ah Chee Lemmens Young Sexton Schoenfeld all are struggling to have any influence on games plus the fact that our young
blokes are physically not ready simply too much pressure is going on to too few.
Probably will gain a bit of experience in the next few weeks to replace some of these guys.
A real concern for me is the lack of development of our young players over the past five years.
With the exception Of Miller and Martin don't believe any other players drafted during this period are close to the level
we would have expected to be by now.
Frustrating to look how far Brisbane young guys are ahead of ours ; they are miles ahead in all aspects.
Credit to Nick Holman who doesn't have quite the attributes of some of his teammates but showed tremendous character to repay the
faith the club put in him by producing his most constructive game so far.He needs a lot of his more talented teammates to follow suit.

Deja vu for us long suffering supporters ; two quarters of reasonably good football to build up our hopes and then in the space of five minutes
of the opening third quarter Essendon up the ante and we just fall of the cliff.It was like we had a different group of players after half time.
For me at the moment we are just simply not good enough to go with the better teams in the competition.
Due to a lack of depth (injuries and quality) we are playing too many players who are simply way out of form
Rischitelli Joyce Ah Chee Lemmens Young Sexton Schoenfeld all are struggling to have any influence on games plus the fact that our young
blokes are physically not ready simply too much pressure is going on to too few.
Probably will gain a bit of experience in the next few weeks to replace some of these guys.
A real concern for me is the lack of development of our young players over the past five years.
With the exception Of Miller and Martin don't believe any other players drafted during this period are close to the level
we would have expected to be by now.
Frustrating to look how far Brisbane young guys are ahead of ours ; they are miles ahead in all aspects.
Credit to Nick Holman who doesn't have quite the attributes of some of his teammates but showed tremendous character to repay the
faith the club put in him by producing his most constructive game so far.He needs a lot of his more talented teammates to follow suit.
However on the up side.............................................yeah got nothing, help.

Oh oh our drafting,has been.......nah that’s no good

Oh oh our mature players.......ummmm

Oh oh, It’s the travel............apparently a plane flight makes you incapable of playing football for months at a time... yeah that sounds right :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being at the game I was stunned at how hopeless Lemmens and Schoenfeld were, whoever thinks Schoenfeld is AFL capable now or in the future is delusional, he is a carrot topped Joel Wilkinson

I am a Brodie fan but he was no good this week, looked waaay better last week

Poor JJ is woefully out of form, got outmarked twice when he was the man in front and didn't even get a fist or hand to it, he looked horribly out of sorts

Peter Wright is nowhere looks like a deer in the headlights

Holman is a good footy player and keeps his head and poise even when the rest of the team is infected with the yips

Young goes fine and has a knack for finding the goals, I know a lot on here don't rate him I think he is fine and will get better as we get better service into the forward line

Gotta love Ballard, has a massive crack and backs himself, finally an up and coming backmen that doesn't follow in the line of Clay Cameron, Louis Herbert, Henry Schade and Jack Leslie (that Clayton blessed us with) who simply can't read the play and follow the game around. Ballard is decisive, attacks the contest and is gutsy and plays beyond his experience. Couple him up with Max Spencer for some exciting defenders coming through

I like Powell too, can see why he is rated definitely happy to get in and attack a marking contest too obviously needs weight and time

So gutted we aren't playing Barlow, our young guys and our team need him out there in the big moments, that game was up for grabs in the first quarter when it was so clear Essendon wasn't switched on yet we didn't read the tea leaves and finish them off.

Last edited:
As usual Young score 1 or 2 goal done his duties and close shop .

As usual Young score 1 or 2 goal done his duties and close shop .
like him or hate him he is something we don't have which is someone who can find the goals when it hits the deck or sneaks forward, used to be Harley or Matera but Holman and Young kept us in that game when the rest of our guys couldn't kick straight, Ainsworth was supposed to be that guy but he hasn't found his way yet...……….even Sexton whether you rate him or not can find the goals when its a scrap he often kicks one or two against the momentum

like him or hate him he is something we don't have which is someone who can find the goals when it hits the deck or sneaks forward, used to be Harley or Matera but Holman and Young kept us in that game when the rest of our guys couldn't kick straight, Ainsworth was supposed to be that guy but he hasn't found his way yet...……….even Sexton whether you rate him or not can find the goals when its a scrap he often kicks one or two against the momentum
I don't disagree with you , it look good when they kick goal but when they don't eg Sexton the games is lost. You need goal kicker and people who can kick to advantages. If you look at Essendon they also kick a lot of behind before they pull away . You need skill and effort not cream on top type of player for rebuilding team . I saw many games Sexton and Young play ,when momentum on GC they are pretty good but when momentum turn their effort and Skill hardly there in the third and 4 quarter. Sometime they do get you some junk time goal in the 4th quarter when the games is truely lost .

Last edited:
I don't disagree with you , it look good when they kick goal but when they don't eg Sexton the games is lost. You need goal kicker and people who can kick to advantages. If you look at Essendon they also kick a lot of behind before they pull away . You need skill and effort not cream on top type of player for rebuilding team . I saw many games Sexton and Young play ,when momentum on GC they are pretty good but when momentum turn their effort and Skill hardly there in the third and 4 quarter. Sometime they do get you some junk time goal in the 4th quarter when the games is truely lost .
those guys are Day, Lynch, Martin and Wright who are supposed to be the first selection forwards for the bread and butter stuff but they simply are not getting service or when they are not converting with polish

those guys are Day, Lynch, Martin and Wright who are supposed to be the first selection forwards for the bread and butter stuff but they simply are not getting service or when they are not converting with polish
If you look at Martin he is running everyway from HB ,Mid , Forward , Lynch (PCL and RFA stuff) , Day ( Injured ) , Wright injured in pre season . Most of the players you mention are all injured or playing sore apart from Martin . Sexton , young are the players that done a full pre season , play every JLT and AFL games. If they can't score goal they should be playing NEAFL or Delist candidate. The standard is so low in the team that you can't even find players better than them from the NEAFL team .

Also an interesting point I noticed is that we didn't really handle the conditions well. We used to play Metricon at night quite well and it gave us a neat advantage against travelling teams. But given we had Metricon unavailable this year until round 10 and most of our games being Twilight games since, we have lost our touch in those conditions. GC players kept fumbling over and over or dropping marks. Hopefully won't take too long to re-adjust to what we were in that space.
Playing night matches is a new experience for a lot of our young blokes. It would help if they'd played a few night matches before they made their AFL debuts, even if they were just practice matches.

Just further to this (kind of), I actually looked up our stats for our midfielders and goals kicked. We all know our midfield is fairly weak, but they just don't kick any goals.
Love or hate them, Ablett, O'Meara, Bennell were those 1 goal a game type midfielders every side needs...
Lyons = 5
Miller = 5
Swallow = 4
Fiorini = 3 (granted only 6 games)
Bowes = 2 (11 games)
Brodie = 1 (4 games)
Hall = 1 (6 games)

Our top goal kickers YTD as follows.
Lynch = 20
Young = 14
Martin = 14
Sexton = 14