Preview Round 18 – GWS Giants vs Collingwood, Saturday 20th July, Sydney Showground Stadium, 4.35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
How quickly things can change.

In the space of eighteen days, we’ve gone from being premiership contenders, and top four certainties, to the very real possibility of not even making the finals.

Today was almost the same as last week. We lost the first quarter convincingly and then broke even for the rest of the game. It wasn’t good enough against the Lions and was never going to be good enough against the Tigers at the MCG. The effort was there, but the question is, why the slow starts?

The injury curse appears to have reared its ugly head again. Ward, De Boer, Kelly and now Coniglio out (and almost Whitfield, again). To lose Coniglio to an ACL would be a tragedy, but Leon did sound optimistic that his injury is not as serious as Ward's. Cross your fingers and hope.

But despite the injuries and three losses on the trot, it's not all bad news. We do have something to get excited about. Bobby Hill was brilliant on debut, three goals from fifteen disposals. He was full of spark on getting the nod, talking about “the magic” he’s capable of, and he certainly didn’t disappoint, providing the kind of “X” factor usually ascribed to Toby (who also had one of his best games in a long time). Do we have any other players like him waiting in the wings?

We’ll need more tricks from Hill on Saturday evening against Collingwood, who are coming off some magic of their own, knocking off the Eagles in Perth. Those kinds of come-from-behind wins are gold and the Magpies will be brimming with confidence.

As for team changes, Mumford and Finlayson are possibilities to return. Simpson convincingly won the hit outs today, but I'm not sure if he can cope with Brodie Grundy. I realise Mumford is more experienced, which won't count for anything if he's injured. Hately, Shipley and Bonar all played well in the NEAFL, but I’m unsure who any of them would replace.

This is going to be huge and easily our biggest game of the year. And despite the run of poor form and injury concerns, I feel quietly confident going into it. The effort was there today and we looked pretty sharp at times. We just cannot let Collingwood get away to a fast start.

The Magpies will have no shortage of supporters, so we need all our own members in attendance, and please bring your loudest voice with you.

We will rise to the occasion. :thumbsu:

Last edited by a moderator:
Grundy is going to have a field day, whether it's Mumford or Simpson, or Flynn.

We'll be understocked with a makeshift midfield with our 4 key mids out - Cogs, Kelly, Ward and De Boer.

Hately comes in for Cogs.

I don't think Buntine is up for firsts - but really, who else is there? I'd be fine to see us roll the dice a bit and bring in Shipley or Caldwell.

Collingwood beat West Coast in Perth which is almost impossible to do

This is going to be a long few weeks

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We beat Geelong at the cattery which is almost unheard of.
Quietly confident this week, Pendles is a bigger out for them than Cogs is for us imo

We've just lost Pendlebury (and Moore) who just had surgery on a broken finger. That would cut out the loss of coniglio. It really will be a 50/50 game. Giants will want to stand up after a loss, and pies will want to try continue finding form. But really, its' anyone's game. Might come down to who can do the basics right for longer or like the win against the eagles, who can grunt out the opposition the longest.

Anyway, good luck this week. I hope Coniglio's injury is not as serious as some fear. Nobody needs another ACL this year.

If the Pies did it smart could be a white wash

Complete lock down tag on Taranto and Whitfield

Grundy will dominate in the midfield likewise the clearances should blow out

Coaching team have to play attacking this week with the game plan : dont play defensive straight up

My 2 reserved seats front row next to the race should be spare pm if need as most likely going Skydeck for this match

If the Pies did it smart could be a white wash

Complete lock down tag on Taranto and Whitfield

Grundy will dominate in the midfield likewise the clearances should blow out

Coaching team have to play attacking this week with the game plan : dont play defensive straight up

My 2 reserved seats front row next to the race should be spare pm if need as most likely going Skydeck for this match
Why bother tagging toranto? His DE by foot is like 49% so if I were the oppo I would let him loose knowing he turns it over so bloody often

Why bother tagging toranto? His DE by foot is like 49% so if I were the oppo I would let him loose knowing he turns it over so bloody often

His overall DE% yesterday was 58.3 and 36 disposals, why let him run loose : shut him down and / or Hopper and we dont have Inside Mid other then a makeshift / or rookie

He is generally around 50-60% but i would be restricting him even getting the ball, likewise Whitfield.

Shut those 2 down completely we will be in some trouble. Will need others to step up and have some big games

Greene will likely run through the midfield.

Crisp has been playing a defensive midfield role these last couple of games and Greenwood can do a hard tag if needed but not sure they will. If they do I’d suspect Whitfield might have company or they may try and shut down any run from Williams out of defence.

Pies have their own injury concerns, might just be an old fashion see ball get ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is hoping we get a decent crowd to the venue

Pies will travel well and I suspect a lot of three game members will use their membership this week

I really can’t see ya turning this around without some injection from the young kids in the back half of the season.

Hill came in this week and had an immediate impact. I think we need to give opportunity now for these kids to shine in the back half of the year much like port did at the beginning

I would advocate Bonnar or Caldwell to come in and fill a role playing inside. And Hartley to play inside/outside as well

I think the core is still capable of playing good footy but until we get some mature bodies back in a month or so I think we need to inject a new dynamic into the 22

Quietly confident, dont think we played that badly on the weekend, just need a 4 qtr effort.

Realistically the last two games have been three quarter efforts. It's just that it's been against top 8 aspirants so we haven't been able to get away with it, cf: Fremantle game.

Thinking about Toby Greene for Supercoach as im low trades in hopes to him playing midfield while cogs and kelly are out, is it likely that he will be playing midfield the next few weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back