Autopsy Round 18 – Port Adelaide VS GWS Giants, Sunday 22nd July 2018, Adelaide Oval, 4.10pm ACST

Remove this Banner Ad

upload_2018-7-22_10-59-43.png

SUMMARY

One of the most important games of round 18 has been saved until last. The Power (fifth, 11-5) are aiming to keep in touch with the top two, while the Giants (seventh, 9-6-1) are back inside the top eight after last week's thrilling two-point win over reigning premiers Richmond. The key for Leon Cameron's men is continuing that momentum on the road against a Power side coming off its worst loss of the season – a nine-point defeat to Fremantle in Perth. The Power will be without last year's All Australian ruckman Paddy Ryder (hip flexor), putting more pressure on Ollie Wines, Tom Rockliff, Chad Wingard and Sam Powell-Pepper in their midfield battle with Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio and Callan Ward. Toby Greene is the Giants' X-factor in a forward line missing the suspended Jeremy Cameron and Jonathon Patton (knee). The Power will be desperate to show they are genuine premiership contenders, but the Giants also have finals on their mind.

WHERE AND WHEN: Adelaide Oval, Sunday, July 22, 4.10pm ACST
TV AND RADIO: Click here for broadcast guide

LAST FIVE TIMES

R4, 2017, Greater Western Sydney 16.16 (112) d Port Adelaide 11.15 (81) at UNSW Canberra Oval
R18, 2016, Greater Western Sydney 11.13 (79) d Port Adelaide 9.6 (60) at Adelaide Oval
R4, 2016, Greater Western Sydney 22.19 (151) d Port Adelaide 9.11 (65) at UNSW Canberra Oval
R20, 2015, Port Adelaide 16.15 (111) d Greater Western Sydney 13.12 (90) at Adelaide Oval
R7, 2014, Port Adelaide 20.12 (132) d Greater Western Sydney 15.7 (97) at UNSW Canberra Oval

THE SIX POINTS

1. Key forward Jonathan Patton starred for the Giants with a career-high six goals in a 31-point victory over the Power in round four last year. Toby Greene was also influential with four goals, while Tom Scully had 32 disposals and seven clearances.

2. The two best clearance teams in the competition will square off. Port Adelaide is ranked first, averaging 41.2 clearances per game, just ahead of the second-placed Giants (39.7).

3. Nothing separates the two clubs in their eight previous meetings, with the ledger all square at 4-4. The Power won four of the first five.

4. Both teams play a high-possession game. The Giants are ranked fifth in the League with 383.7 disposals per game, ahead of the sixth-ranked Power with 382.

5. The Power have established Adelaide Oval as a fortress this season, winning seven of their eight home games. But the Giants know how to win at the ground, having beaten Adelaide there in round 11.

6. Giants' mature-age recruit Zac Langdon had a memorable third quarter in the Giants' two-point win over Richmond last Saturday. The 22-year-old's 10.2 Schick AFL Player Rating points from nine disposals and a goal was the 10th-best individual quarter of round 17.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR …

Paddy Ryder's hip flexor injury will see key forward Charlie Dixon spend plenty of time in the ruck. The 200cm, 105kg Dixon will relish the challenge of playing on the ball and getting involved around the ground, but he needs to give his midfielders quality service to prevent the Giants' star-studded on-ball brigade from getting on top.

PREDICTION: Greater Western Sydney by 12 points

Far from the best team we could put on the park but hopefully they can get the job done, but Port have the same issues and also coming off the loss to the Dockers last week a few players will want to respond
I haven't seen the incident but if Gray does play after the concussion I hope there are no doubts over his fitness
Unpredictable in the ruck with Simpson v Dixon and backups very much that and interesting if Lobb spends anytime in the ruck
Greene is the key and if he can kick 4/5 goals and then the team can win, hope Shiel can have a big game as he has been ok in games since the bye but not really bursting around the stoppages and his contested possession numbers are down so if he is playing a more outside role and maybe has a niggle that is slowing him down

Big game. If we win, we beat another top 8 side & consolidate in the 8. With other results, we can even make a push for 4th position in coming weeks - which would have been unheard of 2 months ago. More importantly, it tells us if the guys have the focus & determination to do everything in their power to win - home or away - and hence if they could make a viable assault on the flag. So, a lot riding on the game and the result today - a good win and we are looking primed. We should be able to do it, despite our outs, with application and leadership. Looking forward to the game. Let's go Giants!

Big game indeed, and all the more so after r the unpredictable results this round have the top eight sitting on more of a knife edge than ever. To my eye the main takeaway from this chaotic season has been that the team that brings greater hunger is generally the one that wins, and after the fire we saw last week I'm quietly confident the team will get it done this week

'Sam Taylor (corked leg) has been replaced in the starting 22 by Lachlan Keeffe. '

What is going on...our backline is getting decimated with Corr and Taylor out. Probably another training/warm up injury knowing us. Will probably need Davis to play on the best tall forward with Keefe/Tomlinson playing on the second and 3rd. Not sure if buntine can hold down a kpf. Holding their forwards down now looks alot harder with our first choice key defenders out.

Last edited:
'Sam Taylor (corked leg) has been replaced in the starting 22 by Lachlan Keeffe. '

What is going on...our backline is getting decimated with Corr and Taylor out. Probably another training/warm up injury knowing us. Will probably need Davis to play on the best tall forward with Keefe/Tomlinson playing on the second and 3rd. Not sure if buntine can hold down a kpf. Holding their forwards down now looks alot harder with our first choice key defenders out.

It’s not unusual, just worse for us as we have had such a bad run with outs.

I’ve seen enough of Keeffe to say he is not AFL standard. His lack of agility really lets him down. The rest of his game is ok but his lack of toe really gets exposed. Someone said we should target Collins from the VFL as cheap depth for next year, I reckon this is a good idea.

Anyways it is what it is.

Man!!! Why do the footy gods dislike us?

It’s not unusual, just worse for us as we have had such a bad run with outs.

I’ve seen enough of Keeffe to say he is not AFL standard. His lack of agility really lets him down. The rest of his game is ok but his lack of toe really gets exposed. Someone said we should target Collins from the VFL as cheap depth for next year, I reckon this is a good idea.

Anyways it is what it is.

I dont think Keefe is AFL standard either, poor speed and decision maker in my opinion. Will be worried with him trying to kick/manoeuvre the ball out of defence. As it happens, I was also the one who suggested we should target Collins if he is available cheap (late in draft/rookie) to replace Mohr/Keefe. Thought he was showing promise at Freo before they cut him and think he can definitely play a role for us.

I suspect our options are limited this late, must have been tempting to put Tommo back and play someone else if we have another travelling emergency thiugh.

Thought Finalyson would have been travelling emergency over Keefe, offers better disposal out of defence and better speed. Can do the same things as Keefe but better. Would have given us more flexibility to move Tommo from defence onto the wing. But in the end, just our bad luck I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Finalyson would have been travelling emergency over Keefe, offers better disposal out of defence and better speed. Can do the same things as Keefe but better. Would have given us more flexibility to move Tommo from defence onto the wing. But in the end, just our bad luck I guess.
Leon mentioned Keefe as versatile in the pre match presser, that's probably why. But yeah it's what we have now.

Leon mentioned Keefe as versatile in the pre match presser, that's probably why. But yeah it's what we have now.

In terms of versatility, still think Finalyson is more versatile. Better defender and wingman, both pretty average in attack but Finalyson can do the occasional 50+ metre bomb goal. Keefe can play ruck, but lets be honest, hes more just standing there than actually rucking. However as you said, since the decision is in Leon's hands it is beyond our control and just really hope Keefe plays his role well.

Thinking this will be a physical match for the boys - port loves melees, so hopefully we dont get sucked in and just get on with the job. We will need all our energy to play footy rather than fighting, will also decrease the chance for unnecessary fines, injuries and suspensions. Good luck to the boys, hopefully we are switched on from the first bounce and bring a 4 quarter display.

Thinking this will be a physical match for the boys - port loves melees, so hopefully we dont get sucked in and just get on with the job. We will need all our energy to play footy rather than fighting, will also decrease the chance for unnecessary fines, injuries and suspensions. Good luck to the boys, hopefully we are switched on from the first bounce and bring a 4 quarter display.
Less so the last season or so, but this is a pressure game. Whitfield will get some physical attention I'd expect. So will Haynes.

I dont think Keefe is AFL standard either, poor speed and decision maker in my opinion. Will be worried with him trying to kick/manoeuvre the ball out of defence. As it happens, I was also the one who suggested we should target Collins if he is available cheap (late in draft/rookie) to replace Mohr/Keefe. Thought he was showing promise at Freo before they cut him and think he can definitely play a role for us.

Got my eye on Collins. Been playing good VFL.

Less so the last season or so, but this is a pressure game. Whitfield will get some physical attention I'd expect. So will Haynes.

For sure Whitfield will get plenty of attention - rightly so unfortunately since he is so damaging when he is up and going. I suspect they will try and get under Greene's skin as well but he thrives in these conditions so dont think it will bother him much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back