Preview Round 18 – Port Adelaide VSW GWS Giants, Sunday 22nd July 2018, Adelaide Oval, 4.10pm ACST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Hey, we finally beat someone above us on the ladder. :D

What a great win, especially coming off the road trip to Perth and a six-day break. It was pretty clear from the first bounce we were “on”, and, once they got going, just as clear why Richmond are red-hot favourites to win another flag. The speed and precision of their ball movement was something to behold. But despite all the fumbling, we led at every break and held our nerve when they got in front, right until the very end.

The score ended up being remarkably similar to Round 9 last season, except this time, we were missing Cameron, Patton, Mumford, Scully, Wilson, Williams, Johnson, and De Boer. Getting the points with outs like that, even more reason to smile.

There were winners everywhere. Ward, Coniglio, Whitfield and Shiel were all on song, ably assisted by Simpson, who did a great job in the ruck and really stood up when it mattered; 17 of his 36 hit-outs were to our advantage, none more important than the last play of the game. He might not be as mobile as Mummy but he’s fast becoming an integral part of the line-up. Adam Kennedy performed well on return, continuing his good run of form from the NEAFL and more than justifying his selection. Toby was a bit rusty at first, but he knows what to do in big moments, and by the time he kicked that goal in the last quarter it looked as if he’d never been away.

Next week against Port away will be another tough road trip. They’ve been having a good season and enjoyed a win against Richmond themselves only a few weeks ago. But they’re coming into this game after an error-riddled, low scoring loss to Fremantle, which saw injuries to a couple of their biggest stars, Paddy Ryder and Robbie Gray. Not the best preparation for next week. I think we might be in better shape.

And I reckon the boys will be looking forward to another trip to the city of churches. Memories of victory against the Crows will be fresh and the venue or hostile crowd won’t faze them.

It’s going to be another cracker. We’re back in form, and belief has returned. We can win this.

P.S. Thanks Swannies, for knocking off North. We get to stay in the eight – for now.

Last edited:
I dont worry too much about other results. With 6 rounds to go and a tight ladder tgere'll likely be changed every week. We win 4-6 from here and we're in is my view.

Great win last night and a big challenge with Port at home. Tempted to go but depends a bit on tkts and whether I can talk some Crows supporting freinds in Adekaide to come. :cool:Hope they still have their Giants beanies I shouted in 2016.

Think we can win but we'll have to bring the fight the guys have shown in the last few weeks.

I dont worry too much about other results. With 6 rounds to go and a tight ladder tgere'll likely be changed every week. We win 4-6 from here and we're in is my view.

Great win last night and a big challenge with Port at home. Tempted to go but depends a bit on tkts and whether I can talk some Crows supporting freinds in Adekaide to come. :cool:Hope they still have their Giants beanies I shouted in 2016.

Think we can win but we'll have to bring the fight the guys have shown in the last few weeks.
I’m really tempted to go and join you. I’m working Sunday but could possibly maybe leave early. Huge game this (again...).

I’m really tempted to go and join you. I’m working Sunday but could possibly maybe leave early. Huge game this (again...).
If I go it's got to be early. Friday or Saturday. I have family obligations in Adelaide and I couldn't turn up there and not fulfill them. Usually I'm comfortable going alone. I did to the QF last year. I just sit in the Giants area ( very disappointed it wasn't effectively segregated) and mix with Crows supporters I know afterwards.

I've left the Port hate behind consciously but am still a bit hesitant to share a ground with them without company, still have a negative view that lingers from the SA league days. Particularly when we'll have a very small group there.

But we'll see. I'll work it out today.

Huge pita for them if those two are out for port

Even so, their midfield is solid and bats deep so I think I’m staying he obvious that the midfield battle will be crucial in the outcome.

Another factor will be our forward conversion. We don’t really have a focal point in attack that other teams are wary of

Even so, their midfield is solid and bats deep so I think I’m staying he obvious that the midfield battle will be crucial in the outcome.

Another factor will be our forward conversion. We don’t really have a focal point in attack that other teams are wary of
Their midfield is not up to the level of ours. They also played in a wet and slippery game and have less days to recover than us. If we can manage to convert our many opportunities that we will have it should be over by half time. Since it is likely we won't I think Port may still be in it somewhat to 3 quarter time until they fade in the 4th.

its comforting now that other teams are starting to go through the tests we have all year, its good that Toby and now Lids is likely to come back, everything looking up for the Giants again.

a tough test but no doubt we can get Port, if we can beat Port, we'd quite likely go 4 wins in a row with Saints & Blues to come - but as always, One game at a time !!!!

Dawson is awesome !!!! doing his job, its a big help IMO

Reid for Deledio would be my only change this week.

Starting to get to a stage where spots in the 22 are really hard to come by.

Shaw Davis Haynes
Whitfield Taylor corr
Tartanto Ward Kelly
Greene HH (Cameron) Coniglio
Langdon Lobb Griffen

Simpson Shiel Hopper

Tomlinson Daniels (MDB) Deledio Kennedy

Not really expecting Scully or Williams to get back in time to claim a spot but that’s a pretty hard side to crack.
I’d go with Simpson in the ruck and Lobb (his contested marking is too valuable atm to be playing ruck) forward now that Patton is out although I can see the MC dropping Simpson and playing Lobb ruck. If I was the opposition coach I’d much rather defending HH and Cameron than Lobb and Cameron and Simpson has been serving it up on a platter for our mids

Shaw Davis Haynes
Whitfield Taylor corr
Tartanto Ward Kelly
Langdon Lobb Griffen

Simpson Shiel Hopper

Not really expecting Scully or Williams to get back in time to claim a spot but that’s a pretty hard side to crack.
I’d go with Simpson in the ruck and Lobb (his contested marking is too valuable atm to be playing ruck) forward now that Patton is out although I can see the MC dropping Simpson and playing Lobb ruck. If I was the opposition coach I’d much rather defending HH and Cameron than Lobb and Cameron and Simpson has been serving it up on a platter for our mids
Pretty much agree with this but I think HH will have a really good game in the next few which will make it really hard to drop him.Tough decision ahead if we don't get any injuries

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their midfield is not up to the level of ours. They also played in a wet and slippery game and have less days to recover than us. If we can manage to convert our many opportunities that we will have it should be over by half time. Since it is likely we won't I think Port may still be in it somewhat to 3 quarter time until they fade in the 4th.
They are the number one team for clearances

Think you might be underestimating their midfield group

I expect no changes this week but my guess if there any in order of likelyhood are:-

1. Lloyd for Danels. Lloyd has missed 6 weeks after no setbacks for a while and might be fit enough to resume. Part of me thinks it would be better to keep Daniel's up until he's kicked some goals and probably feels better at AFL level. Selection is a cold business though and that's probably not fair to Lloyd.

2. Deledio for Daniel's. No doubt his future when fit is in the one's. The bench issues will still be there with Toby and Lobb still fresh. Just the timing but my guess is not this week.

3. Buntine for any back. Long shot but I think he's ready. I would have thought he'd swap again with Taylor at some point, as Taylor gets used to the weekly pressure. Taylor's going too well though and some first year players like Taranto and Powell-Pepper just handle it.
If there is a back the coaches aren't entirely happy with we'll find out tomorrow I expect.

Shaw Davis Haynes
Whitfield Taylor corr
Tartanto Ward Kelly
Langdon Lobb Griffen

Simpson Shiel Hopper

Surely Dawson stays, you have to reward form and effort.

Isnt there a 1 week automatic?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

No, there's a management protocol and depending on how you get through that is whether or not you can get up in time.

Because there's training restrictions, etc, it's also possible that a player might miss a game because even though he clears the concussion protocol before the game he's missed a week of training so they'll hold him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back