Review Round 18, 2016 - Essendon vs Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to see Leppa miked up during the telecast - plenty of great moment .. a quiet word to Pearce ... firing up the group before they head back out again ... asking for feedback from on-field leaders.

Really liked this. You want your players to own the gameplan, and it's important the kids see that the leaders are willing to own it.

I obviously used the wrong Doctor in my preview. Whis one fits more than sad 10th.
MiJCFS1e3HdTOTxZdN59s9h8kFPMJqjoUMEGgnLCeV3mpFef_al7PpKDUqveG_WPJ1_jSAFRyYOAqZZ8IN-hR2T2mW7PjGjcQnhr44Q=w500-h231-nc

Essendon tanked. Made us look like top 8.

Glad with the win though as the draft is so even. Annoyed Essendon will most likely trade out pick 1 for two top 10 picks and get huge amount of talent in the past 2 years + doped players and will be pushing for top 8 next season. Any talk of PP vanished. Pressure eased for at least a fortnight. Overall good game I thought.

Essendon tanked. Made us look like top 8.

Glad with the win though as the draft is so even. Annoyed Essendon will most likely trade out pick 1 for two top 10 picks and get huge amount of talent in the past 2 years + doped players and will be pushing for top 8 next season. Any talk of PP vanished. Pressure eased for at least a fortnight. Overall good game I thought.

I knew someone would try and put a negative spin on this!

I knew someone would try and put a negative spin on this!

You're doing it wrong. If a poster says anything semi-negative you are supposed to tell that poster to go follow another team or not post in this sub anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most pleasing aspect was that win was driven by our leaders. We clearly wanted it more than they did - the club's United.

Positives
Basti was sublime. Calm and composed with his disposal and worked really hard. Undoubtedly his best game.
Rocky was Rocky. So much emotion and he led admirably. I was prepared for him to go (either of his will or club's) but it's clear he bleeds for us.
Not sure why they didn't put time into Rich but okay. Did some really nice things off HB - top game.
Stef made some mistakes but got the better of Leuey overall.
Good to see Walks get rewarded with a haul.
Mathieson was awesome early, drifted out of the game but he's going to be a gun. That goal was epic.
Robbo will be hard to top in the BnF. Zorks has had a good year but the role players tend to get marked more favourably - well deserved too.
Thought Hammer was solid too, visibly improving with every game.
Kudos also to Harris, Mayes, Darcy & Green.

Negatives
Thought Pearce's disposal was woeful for the most part but that goal was brilliant. Overall today's not a day for negatives. Let's enjoy it

On the train home and damn that feels good. Who cares about pick 1. Two years in a row we have refused to tank and think that's something we should be really proud. Some idiots in the media will say it's wrong but stuff em!!

On the game so glad to see we aren't the worst skilled team in the comp. Essendon made so many errors and it was nice to be on the other end of it for a change. We still made a lot of dumb decisions however. Some really risky kicks into the corridor or stupid 50's we gave away (at least 1 I have no idea what for). We also are really dumb in how we take tackles. Not sure we have the right technique under the current rules. Caught holding the ball too often. Also annoyed to see us switch off the last few minutes. We conceded a few goals we didn't need to there.

Was great to see how accurate we were in front of goals! Think a lot of that may have had to do with better ball use up the field. Lead to taking shots from in front rather than crap spots.

Thoughts on some of the players:
William shows some signs but probably needs more time in the twos. Needs a fair bit more development.
Hanley I don't know what to think. So much bad but also the good?
Rocky just massive all game.
Basti clear best game for the club.
Rich fantastic all game
Schache probably needs a rest. He worked hard all game but looks like he needs a break. Walker was pretty good so gives us good cover there.
Matho was pretty good. Love him but I can see why every other club would hate him. Pretty divisive character.
Cutler forward was interesting choice. Think he did pretty well in lesters role.

Probably a lot more but running out of train stops to type.
GO LIONS!!!!!

I largely liked the balance of the side today. Rich playing behind the footy worked. Dawson/Cutler provides more athleticism and ground coverage in the forward half than Jansen or Lester.

Still not sure 3 tall forwards is sustainable. It worked today because we won the clearances and contested footy but, even then, we were saved from conceding rebound 50 goals by Essendon's terrible ball use. We either need to play a smaller forward line or find some other way to avoid the opposition rebounding too easily.

Tell you what, when Rueben learns running patterns so he isnt spent all the time that kid will be good IMO. I'd love to see him use his pace more and accelerate when kicking as is floating his kicks perhaps a bit too much...

Tell you what, when Rueben learns running patterns so he isnt spent all the time that kid will be good IMO. I'd love to see him use his pace more and accelerate when kicking as is floating his kicks perhaps a bit too much...

He's actually not that quick.

He's actually not that quick.
Yes he is. I watched a fair bit of him at junior level and the kid has pace. Just needs to improve 2 things to use it at AFL level. 1 is confidence to take the game on and 2 is endurance so by the time he gets the ball in space or he is chasing a player he isn't completely spent and can turn the jets on.

It is pretty laughable how you are writing him off after 3 games by the way. He is an 18 year old rookie playing his 3rd game and ideally he wouldn't even be playing at senior level yet. Needs more time to develop in the reserves and a couple more pre seasons. The kid is talented though and has several AFL level traits.

He doesn't look very confident with the ball in hand. Once he gets confident I think he will start to pin the ears back and start to run and carry. He looks like he is really second guessing himself when he has to dispose of the ball.

Back