Review Round 18, 2016 - Essendon vs Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly great win today, good to see them show what the future has in stall and also a great insight into Leppa coaching.

Personally think today's result will lock in a priority pick for the Lions.

Can the AFL afford to have Essendon get pick 1 and 12 players back after drug suspensions, not a good look for the game internationally.

Just can't see pick one being allowed to stand on stage with a red and black jumper.
Would probably have to depend on how we go in our remaining 5 games. If we win 1 or 2 and perform fairly competitively overall I'd say we are zero chance of getting a PP. If we get flogged in 4 or all 5, however, and finish the season with just 2 wins on the back of 5 floggings we may be in with a chance.

Would probably have to depend on how we go in our remaining 5 games. If we win 1 or 2 and perform fairly competitively overall I'd say we are zero chance of getting a PP. If we get flogged in 4 or all 5, however, and finish the season with just 2 wins on the back of 5 floggings we may be in with a chance.

Honestly think either way the decision has already been made.

Why is Sauce so hated here. Few derps from the big fella but he was awesome at spoiling for most of the match.
From what I saw at the match, he was caught out of position quite a few times against Daniher. Ended up pushing him wider as the game went on which was pleasing.

Merrett is cooked. Daniher kciked 4 goals on him and missed two sitters. Every week his opponent kicks 4+ goals and not taking into account that big sauce is devoid of all confidence - he drops easy marks and when the ball falls in his hands he panics. He is close to the finish line and i have said i hope he gets to his 200th game - he deserves that for being such a great servant but sometimes like in the case of Adcock the end comes quickly.

I will add our defensive set up does none of our defenders in any favours.

How excited was Dawson when we sang the song in the rooms? Great to see. Hope he finishes the year strongly.

Merrett is cooked. Daniher kciked 4 goals on him and missed two sitters. Every week his opponent kicks 4+ goals and not taking into account that big sauce is devoid of all confidence - he drops easy marks and when the ball falls in his hands he panics. He is close to the finish line and i have said i hope he gets to his 200th game - he deserves that for being such a great servant but sometimes like in the case of Adcock the end comes quickly.

Ignoring that he's always dropped easy marks and never been great with the ball in his hands, Essendon had 66 inside 50s. Daniher might have kicked four, but Merrett came out of the game with 10 1%ers, e.g. spoils. Merrett easily won more than he lost, and considering the number of times Essendon looked for Daniher heading inside 50 it could've been a very different game with someone else on him that would've let Daniher use his reach instead of crunching his body and forcing the ball out.

Watching our senior players at their best yesterday highlights how crazy the notion of casually advocating trading them is, especially whilst keeping Leppa.

This doesent include some genuine concerns around some individuals, more the whole 'put them all the table' comments.

The senior players are entitled to the 'young', 'facilities', 'fixture', 'expansion team', 'footy department' excuses as much as anyone.

They are out there with out the protection of other more devaloped players, they have to deal with the frustration of working hard up the ground only to have their work left unfinished by skinny teenages, they have to worry about making sure the young kids are psychologically 'ok' before each game, they have to take energy away from their own prep to do planned social events during the week with young team mates.

Not saying they haven't let us down, they have. And just like Leppa.. one game shouldnt change anyones mind completely, but when we are dishing out the excuses week after week, I think they are just as entitled to hide behind as anyone else.

Even Leppas 'first year coach' comments about.. 'all he has done is spent 2 years stripping back the list'.. DIRECTLY impact the senior players as they are a victim of that process too.

As yesterday showed, these guys can fire when we are clicking and I want to see what comes of this senior group when keyes, matho, schache, hipwood all have 50 games under their belt.

Poor Sauce. Is going to retire one of the most criminally underappreciated players we've ever had.

I fully respect the Sauce, again.. a senior guy expected to cooly and calmly execute with little to no support around him eack week.

He is arguably our most important player.

Id like to see him go around again, but as was the case last year, we need to target another established key defender to assist him, doesn't need to be hurley, though id offer him that Jenkins money.. could be an astbury type.

Poor Sauce. Is going to retire one of the most criminally underappreciated players we've ever had.

100% this.

In the year he broke his leg he was leading the AFL in 1% ers by so much bookies would have closed the book (if they did one). His closing speed was exceptional and, dare I say it, that season he would have been All Australian (even with the usual ignore Brisbane Players Bias). Sigh.

Thanks Rog!:thumbsu::cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone wanted their club to draft Mathieson last year because he is a hard nosed, uncompromising, in your face, scrappy street fighter inside mid that will do whatever it takes to get his team over the line. Now the fans of the clubs he doesn't play for hate him for the same reason.

I love it. Delicious salt.

Would fit in well with the Melbourne midfield, apparently they are now the toughest team in the comp... I can't wait until we start regularly beating that mob, their supporters are insufferable and they are well adrift of finals!

Ignoring that he's always dropped easy marks and never been great with the ball in his hands, Essendon had 66 inside 50s. Daniher might have kicked four, but Merrett came out of the game with 10 1%ers, e.g. spoils. Merrett easily won more than he lost, and considering the number of times Essendon looked for Daniher heading inside 50 it could've been a very different game with someone else on him that would've let Daniher use his reach instead of crunching his body and forcing the ball out.
I have seen him take some tough marks as well

I would like Leppa to try and build some confidence in Keays game. Maybe a few weeks back in the ressies to get some touch? Too often he is looking for basic out options like a handball a ruckman may do. I think he needs to start taking the game on more with ball in hand. Bit of a knit pick negative on otherwise a positive day
To be fair he only just came back from the ressies. I thought he had a fair game on the weekend. He did a lot of great inside work that would easily go unnoticed. Would've had 3-4 score involvements too.

IMO he's in better form than Lewy who is the logical replacement

Turn overs I agree, but we still shouldn't be conceding like we do. I think it is more to do with the guarding space strategy we tend to employ. Teams aren't getting out the back so much compared with the start of the year.

guarding space and rotating players. Langford kicked the goal after the siren at half time. He is a medium-tall forward who somehow ended up 1 out with Reuben William inside 50.

At least this game it seemed that for the majority of the match Merritt stayed with Daniher and Andrews stayed with Mitch Brown. Although I believe both were beaten on the day. Brown should have kicked 4 and Daniher could have kicked 2 more from memory for 6.

I said in a post earlier in the thread - Andrews I don't believe is a great 1 on 1 defender at this stage. Merritt is really struggling now. Gardiner is a bit of a tweener who at the moment gets by with his physicality in the contest. and then William and Hammleman have played 6 games between them. Rich played without a man all game. That was our back 6 yesterday so not a surprise we had nearly 100 kicked against us.

Hipwood only has moments at this stage but Leigh once said that's all you want to see out of young key position players - signs.

When the signs include:
  • A one-grab contested mark among three defenders
  • A swinging snap goal off one step from the boundary
  • Splitting packs without fear
  • And running straight past Adam Cooney for a ground ball
Then you know you've got something special.

Hipwood and Schache could be the second-coming of Lloyd and Lucas for us as a two-headed dragon pairing but individually speaking I think Hipwood will develop into a player in Franklin's mould

Many positives from the game but Stef was the main highlight for me. Some of his tap work was first class. The two that stood out was the tap to Matho and the one to Hanley. Our players were on the move from stoppages which was great to see and it allowed us to open them up and dominate clearances.

I was at the game and there was an amusing moment in the 4th quarter after Brisbane kicked a goal to go up 50-odd. A disgruntled Bombers fan was walking out and stopped to yell "You are the worst team ever assembled!" at the players. Possibly true, but the anger was hilariously misdirected. I don't think it's fair to blame Will Hams for Essendon's predicament.

I too was at the game yesterday. In the last quarter, an Essendon supporter made the call of "enjoy the win Lions, it will be your only one in five years"

Hipwood will be a superstar. What is it with these absolute string beans that keep coming through our academy that are turning into gems! Harris and Hipwood at age 25 filled out should make any lions supporter weak at the knees.

I will add our defensive set up does none of our defenders in any favours.

How excited was Dawson when we sang the song in the rooms? Great to see. Hope he finishes the year strongly.

Could have been Jackson Paine on him...

Back