Review Round 18, 2016 - Essendon vs Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been pretty critical of Stef this year but I thought he had his best game, from a purely rucking perspective, in a long time. He had 15 (v 10) hit-outs to advantage which has never been a strength of his ruck work. Stef's best asset is the fact he's essentially another on-baller who wins plenty of the pill and also his ability to run and run. But on the weekend his tap work was exceptional.

Case A) Goal to Rhys Mathieson from stoppage
Case B) Goal to Hanley from centre bounce

We also won clearances by +14

His disposal was still average at times but he clearly beat Leuenberger, who should've had a distinct advantage in the ruck

Hipwood only has moments at this stage but Leigh once said that's all you want to see out of young key position players - signs.

When the signs include:
  • A one-grab contested mark among three defenders
  • A swinging snap goal off one step from the boundary
  • Splitting packs without fear
  • And running straight past Adam Cooney for a ground ball
Then you know you've got something special.

Hipwood and Schache could be the second-coming of Lloyd and Lucas for us as a two-headed dragon pairing but individually speaking I think Hipwood will develop into a player in Franklin's mould
It wasnt just the running past Cooney it was the ball pick up at pace. Hipwood could be the best from this crop of players. He strikes me as somebody who wasnt very big growing up and needed to learn to get the ground ball and be competitive, then grew. His body on body strength is very good for somebody so skinny.

It wasnt just the running past Cooney it was the ball pick up at pace. Hipwood could be the best from this crop of players. He strikes me as somebody who wasnt very big growing up and needed to learn to get the ground ball and be competitive, then grew. His body on body strength is very good for somebody so skinny.
Ahh I knew there was something else. He picked up a groundball one-handed at pace in the first quarter (?)

My concern with Hipwood is getting the balance right between putting weight on but maintaining agility and mobility.

Ahh I knew there was something else. He picked up a groundball one-handed at pace in the first quarter (?)

My concern with Hipwood is getting the balance right between putting weight on but maintaining agility and mobility.
His frame could carry another 10kgs easy and as long as his core strength is maintained he wont necessarily lose that mobility, his agility might actual improve because he will be stronger and not so "gangly". Yes first qtr pick up, was a beauty

Merrett is cooked. Daniher kciked 4 goals on him and missed two sitters. Every week his opponent kicks 4+ goals and not taking into account that big sauce is devoid of all confidence - he drops easy marks and when the ball falls in his hands he panics. He is close to the finish line and i have said i hope he gets to his 200th game - he deserves that for being such a great servant but sometimes like in the case of Adcock the end comes quickly.

Have to agree. Merrett looks absolutely lost on high balls coming into the 50. Merrett was our lowest ranked player for the game according to the AFL player ratings.

I thought Harris Andrews looked a lot better in the aerial contests and think he should be the one standing the opposition key forward.

Have to agree. Merrett looks absolutely lost on high balls coming into the 50. Merrett was our lowest ranked player for the game according to the AFL player ratings.

I thought Harris Andrews looked a lot better in the aerial contests and think he should be the one standing the opposition key forward.

I was actually looking forward to Harris v Daniher but unfortunately it didn't happen.

It is amazing to think Harris is in his second season and is only 19.

AFL player ratings are very iffy on defenders. Harris is good aerially it's true but needs a lot of physical development yet, he'd have been out-muscled a lot by e.g. Daniher.

I love Sauce, but I hope he doesn't try and go around again.

He is a great team man, and a real leader down back but I don't think his body will be up to another year. I could see him helping Lambo out in looking after the kids off the field though, provided of course he addresses his personal hygiene issues.

Hipwood only has moments at this stage but Leigh once said that's all you want to see out of young key position players - signs.

When the signs include:

Hipwood and Schache could be the second-coming of Lloyd and Lucas for us as a two-headed dragon pairing but individually speaking I think Hipwood will develop into a player in Franklin's mould

He's got the eye of the tiger ,no dear in the headlights. And he always looks annoyed about something

Oh I never troll other boards, but if we beat Port I will be over there to witness the apoplexy. Then send a port supporter i know "never tear up the tarps".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My brother in law is a Port supporter and he converted the middle of my three nephews in that family. My eldest nephew and I will have much fun on Saturday is we win.

When the signs include:

Don't forget that thumping (yet accurate) right boot of his. Honestly, I drool at the prospects of having a Franklin-esque player booting goals from the center square

The amount of times yesterday that Sauce got to the contest when Daniher was leading and jumped high enough to spoil Daniher IMO i thought he done a fair job yesterday. In those contests when Daniher was on the lead, no way Andrews would have been able to keep up with him. Agree though the actual contests one on one where the ball was kicked high sauce did struggle but he did make a hell of alot of spoils in the contest where I don't think noone else would have been able to do the job.
On a side note did anyone at the game notice how long Essendon done there warm up at the cheersquad end of the ground before the game. They were still doing drills at 12.57 (game at 1.10) and by the time they moved to the other end of the ground our cheersquad barely had time to put the banner out before the players started running out. Did not even have any time to extend the ropes out in the normal way and pull the banner up, they were pulling by the actual ropes themselves to pull the poles and banner up.
Nice to be at a game and have my young kids singing the song. Not much we played against and tactically Essendon done nothing to change the game but still wrapt.

The amount of times yesterday that Sauce got to the contest when Daniher was leading and jumped high enough to spoil Daniher IMO i thought he done a fair job yesterday. In those contests when Daniher was on the lead, no way Andrews would have been able to keep up with him. Agree though the actual contests one on one where the ball was kicked high sauce did struggle but he did make a hell of alot of spoils in the contest where I don't think noone else would have been able to do the job.
On a side note did anyone at the game notice how long Essendon done there warm up at the cheersquad end of the ground before the game. They were still doing drills at 12.57 (game at 1.10) and by the time they moved to the other end of the ground our cheersquad barely had time to put the banner out before the players started running out. Did not even have any time to extend the ropes out in the normal way and pull the banner up, they were pulling by the actual ropes themselves to pull the poles and banner up.
Nice to be at a game and have my young kids singing the song. Not much we played against and tactically Essendon done nothing to change the game but still wrapt.

I agree I thing Sauce did well yesterday.

I can't say I noticed how long Essendon did their warm up for though.

I agree however that as the game progressed Essendon did not appear to do anything to change the game.

Sorry. ;)

I'm done.

Great win for the boys and getting to see some of the kids singing the song for the first time is always special.

I liked seeing Gardner getting more of the ball as I think that fourth defender role is his spot but he needs to do more from an offensive output from that role.

I agree I thing Sauce did well yesterday.

I can't say I noticed how long Essendon did their warm up for though.

I agree however that as the game progressed Essendon did not appear to do anything to change the game.

Sorry. ;)

I'm done.

isawwhatyoudonethere.gif

:D

Back