Review Round 18, 2016 - Essendon vs Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like how calm and balanced Hipwoods kicking routine is for set shots. Has a long walk in,gives himself time to get his rhythm right kicks through the ball. Doesn't look like falling away or losing balance

Last edited:
I've been pretty critical of Stef this year but I thought he had his best game, from a purely rucking perspective, in a long time. He had 15 (v 10) hit-outs to advantage which has never been a strength of his ruck work. Stef's best asset is the fact he's essentially another on-baller who wins plenty of the pill and also his ability to run and run. But on the weekend his tap work was exceptional.

Case A) Goal to Rhys Mathieson from stoppage
Case B) Goal to Hanley from centre bounce

We also won clearances by +14

His disposal was still average at times but he clearly beat Leuenberger, who should've had a distinct advantage in the ruck

I'm surprised by the lack of love for Stef in the voting. I personally thought he was the B.O.G - I'm not even sure if we would have won had he played poorly.

As you said 15 to 10 hitouts to advantage and a big win overall in clearances. I thought Stef really set the tone in the first quarter the way he was dominating Leuenberger.

Overall Stef also had 25 disposals, 14 contested possessions, 4 marks, 6 clearances, 5 tackles and 1 goal. Yeah a few of his disposals were pretty suspect, but he clearly out pointed Leuy who had 18 disposals, 8 contested possessions, 2 marks, 3 clearances, 3 tackles and 0 goals.

I wonder whether it was Leppa or Worsfold that gave Sauce a vote?

I reckon it was Leppa. Breaking the votes down there seems a definite split between shiny and role players once you get past the unanimous 5s and 4s.

5 Rocky x2
4 Stef x2
3 Z. Merrett/Rich
2 Rich/Bastinac
1 Robinson/Merrett

I'd hazard a guess and say that Leppa would give Bastinac and Merrett votes for playing their role, whereas Worsfold would go the more obvious "his player plus two Brisbane mids".

I'm surprised by the lack of love for Stef in the voting. I personally thought he was the B.O.G - I'm not even sure if we would have won had he played poorly.

As you said 15 to 10 hitouts to advantage and a big win overall in clearances. I thought Stef really set the tone in the first quarter the way he was dominating Leuenberger.

Overall Stef also had 25 disposals, 14 contested possessions, 4 marks, 6 clearances, 5 tackles and 1 goal. Yeah a few of his disposals were pretty suspect, but he clearly out pointed Leuy who had 18 disposals, 8 contested possessions, 2 marks, 3 clearances, 3 tackles and 0 goals.

Only reason I couldn't find a vote to give him was because he fumbled a few too many times and I have a shameless affection for giving votes to younger players.

The game starts and restarts in the centre and he was dominant, b.o .g, easily.

Rich gained 914 metres on the weekend, 3rd most in a single game all year, only Dangerfield and shaw have had more metres gained in a game.

Going to cop a hell of a tag this weekend one would imagine...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If only he could break a tag

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

And yet we love ribbo because he keeps the opposition best to less than 15 touches and pressures them to make some of those pretty ineffective.

What rich needs is other really classy players in the midfield so if he is tagged they have a great day at the office one week, draw the tag the next and rich gets his chance to run free. Wouldn't that be wonderful

Is it wrong that this makes me think that Essendon somewhat tanked? We all know he cant take a tag but they made no effort to stop him at all.

I was at the game on the weekend and watching live and seeing some of the 'stuff' going on from Essendon live you certainly couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right.

Not only was it blindingly obvious Rich was carving up the opposition and everybody knows he can't deal with any attention but there was another instance off the top of my head, where we had the ball on the wing with no body down the line and Rocky was playing at FF at this stage. Rocky put about 7-8m on his opponent to make an option, and let's be honest Rocky is no speedster but his opponent was at best jogging to keep up with him and not one of the other 2 Bombers players on that side of the wing really tried to put in to cut off the mark.

I see the game on the weekend as a game where if everybody was answering truly honestly with themselves they would say yeah that was probably what was best for everyone. We got a win to take some pressure off Leppa and the senior players played well to take a bit of heat off them too.

They got their first pick, which may not be a big deal in the ND with no clear standout No.1 pick but Dodoro is now loaded with the number 1 PSD pick and you can insert whatever four letter word you like when describing what he'll be with that in his arsenal.

I was at the game on the weekend and watching live and seeing some of the 'stuff' going on from Essendon live you certainly couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right.

Not only was it blindingly obvious Rich was carving up the opposition and everybody knows he can't deal with any attention but there was another instance off the top of my head, where we had the ball on the wing with no body down the line and Rocky was playing at FF at this stage. Rocky put about 7-8m on his opponent to make an option, and let's be honest Rocky is no speedster but his opponent was at best jogging to keep up with him and not one of the other 2 Bombers players on that side of the wing really tried to put in to cut off the mark.

I see the game on the weekend as a game where if everybody was answering truly honestly with themselves they would say yeah that was probably what was best for everyone. We got a win to take some pressure off Leppa and the senior players played well to take a bit of heat off them too.

They got their first pick, which may not be a big deal in the ND with no clear standout No.1 pick but Dodoro is now loaded with the number 1 PSD pick and you can insert whatever four letter word you like when describing what he'll be with that in his arsenal.
Coaches might tinker with line ups to "test players in new positions" in order to rise up the draft order,but I don't think there would be a directive to players to play half hearted. I don't think a player would do that either to be honest.

3KZ is Football has been a little quiet today...;)
I've stopped watching. Who were we playing? The bottom side wasn't it? Did we win? I hope so because 15 losses and 2 wins provides a solid springboard for the future.

Is it wrong that this makes me think that Essendon somewhat tanked? We all know he cant take a tag but they made no effort to stop him at all.

You're not the only one. Robbo wrote an article to this effect in the HS too.

Coaches might tinker with line ups to "test players in new positions" in order to rise up the draft order,but I don't think there would be a directive to players to play half hearted. I don't think a player would do that either to be honest.
Yeah sorry, I didn't necessarily mean it was the players themselves. I agree I don't think a player could ever 'properly' tank even if they tried but as you said the coaches can conveniently control the match ups which may or may not benefit their team and also obviously the way the team sets up.

Another thing I noticed specifically the second half, so I presume it was the same all game but after watching Rich dominate the first half I thought for sure they'd put some attention into him but at the centre bounces Rich would be at the back of the square at HB matched up on either Dempsey or Tipungwuti. Once the ball bounced those guys just went their separate ways, there was not a care in the world as to what Rich was doing back there.

And yet we love ribbo because he keeps the opposition best to less than 15 touches and pressures them to make some of those pretty ineffective.

What rich needs is other really classy players in the midfield so if he is tagged they have a great day at the office one week, draw the tag the next and rich gets his chance to run free. Wouldn't that be wonderful
Dayne Beams, he will cop the tag when he returns.

Personally I didn't vote for Stef because his mistakes are critical and and the subsequent turnovers usually lead directly to a score. Undoubtedly a much-improved performance though. I wonder how much of it was inspired by his opponent and perhaps a determination to prove himself

Back