Review Round 18, 2017 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I am a bit late to the party BUT 2 players I think deserve a special shout out are Walker and Mayes, I think the current 3 tall setup we have at moment seems to be working really well, Walks took some real good contested marks and his work in the ruck is pretty impressive.
and Mayes would have to be close to top 3 in Lions best and fairest, he is so composed off HB and his ball use is so smart.

Loved the game. Really enjoyed the first half. We really can score quickly.

Most people played according to my expectation. Exceptions being:
- I was beginning to think that Cox would take a while to get used to this level. I was wrong.
- Stef Martin had a good first half. Good to see- it's been a while.
- Mayes OK but still not living up to my expectations for him.
- Clugga had a good game, but there are a few occasions where he shirks contact, which concerns me. He does it once or twice a week, but I spotted a few this week. Otherwise great though.

Not sure what more you could expect from Mayes.

Spin King mate, how many years has he been there doin f.all? Awards, plural ???.Close won one ,doesnt mean you're a gun exactly. Lets just stick to the evidence and let's see if he's still winning these Awards, you mentioned, in three or four years,ie,lets see if he repays what's been invested in him,over the past 6 or 7 years !
No-one has Frog pegged as "a gun", but the evidence is, that an experienced footy group including Fagan and Noble have him not only as a club leader, but also one of our best 22. The test will be for him to remain in the best 22, but for now, he is.

Spin King mate, how many years has he been there doin f.all? Awards, plural ???.Close won one ,doesnt mean you're a gun exactly. Lets just stick to the evidence and let's see if he's still winning these Awards, you mentioned, in three or four years,ie,lets see if he repays what's been invested in him,over the past 6 or 7 years !

Don't worry Len, I'm sure you'll back a winner soon, you're well overdue.

Not sure I'll be following your form though, as we say in the racing game - others preferred.

Too right they are.

I have no doubt that the AFL pre-determines the outcome they desire and the MRP grades accordinglyto that outcome.
So true, it’s up there with and the moon landing being faked, 9-11 being a CIA conspiracy & airplane contrails contain a mind altering drug.

I think your tin foil hat is a little tight. If anyone really believes the AFL head office interferes with the MRP and tribunal outcomes then you’ve lost the plot.

Yeah when the MRP clearly let's players like Martin off for incidents that other players get suspended for simply because he is a red hot chance at winning the Brownlow they may as well just scrap the whole "You are ineligible to win the Brownlow if you get suspended" thing. If you can win the Brownlow despite missing games through suspension you deserve it anyway imo. I know the Brownlow is meant to go to the best and "fairest" player but you can cop a suspension for very minor things and in the big scheme of things, one small incident over the course of a whole home and away incident shouldn't place you out of the running for winning a Brownlow.
I think a major driving issue is the betting money. Dusty's a look-in at the moment and there'd be a fair bit of money already being placed while the odds are a bit thicker - so I suspect (tin foil hat on and all) that the MRP has the mindset that it is in the AFL's interest to keep potential winners eligible to keep as much of that sweet sweet betting money coming in to their major sponsors as possible - get a good bit of activity going in this market would in turn equal a bigger $$ back to the AFL come sponsor / advertising renegotiation times.

As I said, bit of a tin foil hat theory but at this point I genuinely think something is at play - it makes no sense why they'd bother otherwise.

If anyone really believes the AFL head office interferes with the MRP and tribunal outcomes then you’ve lost the plot.

Not sure that the concept of the AFL prioritising their vested interests or preferred narratives over either a value concept such as fairness or an in-house tribunal such as the MRP is really such a leap into conspiracy land...

No challenge but Swann took a shot at the MRP

“After considered deliberations last night, the Club has decided not to contest the charge, but we have serious concerns around the inconsistences that are coming out from the MRP around the severity of suspensions, and will be taking the matter up with the AFL,” Brisbane Lions CEO Greg Swann said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Half way through the replay - reinforced a few things:

Clugga is a one touch player. His position is phenomenal. Give him a year or so and he will be insanely good.

Cox has a great attack on the footy. His defensive effort needs work but he has already come a long way this year in that regard.

Rocks tagging was huge. His disposals in the first half were really effective as well.

Beams is a gun, even at 80% he is the best player out there

I see what Fagan was saying regarding Martin - he wasn't making it easy for Kreuzer around the ground and in the ruck. Nullified him.

Amazing half of footy. Will be interesting watching the next half tonight.

Half way through the replay - reinforced a few things:

Clugga is a one touch player. His position is phenomenal. Give him a year or so and he will be insanely good.

Cox has a great attack on the footy. His defensive effort needs work but he has already come a long way this year in that regard.

Rocks tagging was huge. His disposals in the first half were really effective as well.

Beams is a gun, even at 80% he is the best player out there

I see what Fagan was saying regarding Martin - he wasn't making it easy for Kreuzer around the ground and in the ruck. Nullified him.

Amazing half of footy. Will be interesting watching the next half tonight.

Afl live pass? I really want to watch the replay and will probably cough up the $5 for a week.

Keep moving those goalposts Len. My post specifically said said he wasn't a gun, but that he brings a lot of qualities to the table. My post was a response to you questioning his professionalism and application - the very traits that have allowed him to carve out a career so far despite his lack of natural football gifts. On that matter, it's not opinion, you're simply flat-out wrong.

The fact you chose to interpret him seeking out the coach for advice as a negative is telling. I bet if it was a natural talent like McCluggage seeking advice you'd be praising him for his initiative.I reckon if his teammates and coaches heard you making those comments they would either laugh, tell you to go * yourself, or both.

You don't rate him as a footballer, that's a perfectly valid opinion. But when you resort to flat out mistruths to add weight to your opinion, expect to get called on it.

Last edited:
Back