Review Round 18, 2017 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to pick my top 5 tonight,but decided on Beams,Zorko, McStay,Lester and Taylor (Matheison,Cox,Rich, Witherden unlucky). Surprised McStay not getting more love in the votes actually.

Cox looking better every game,Witherden played tough and hit most of his targets and Gardiner had one of his better games.

My only real disappointment for the game was Schache. He just looks off the pace and a bit mellow. He's hesitant to lead and seems to be getting to marking contests late. Just want him to get a bit of the fire that Hipwood carries.

Getting a bit nasty too,more importantly.

I'm thinking that's jiust coming from more confidence in his position. Honestly we have a pretty lippy team. There's a bucketload of talent there but I'm sure when we're competitive we'll have a few players we love that everyone else hates.

We really need more midfield talent. We were slaughtered out of the middle for a lot of that game. It is an area where we need to try and address through trading. Some really good signs tonight but still plenty to work on.

Yes Lions do need more depth but considering the balance they have across the ground then depth will be built by getting another 4/5 midfielders across the next two drafts. Lions dont really need any other position IMO.

Positives:
- Rockliff playing a massive unselfish role
- Witherden, Cox, Berry, Lugg again
- Barrett taking his opportunity with both hands
- Beams/Zorko

Negatives:
- Explained to my non-Lions supporting mate that Josh Walker wears a hat whenever he can due to his bald spot. A lady turned around and said "I'm Josh Walkers mum". Damn.

I think we just have to accept that Lester will have a couple of quiet games but then ultimately prove his worth in games like this. He is playing the best football of his career despite these quiet weeks.

Watching clug, berry, witherden, cox, Eric and shache for the next 10+ years is going to be a real treat. As much as I am looking forward to getting a couple more wins this year, I want to fast forward and see these boys in 8 months time with another preseason done and a few extra kgs.

We really need more midfield talent. We were slaughtered out of the middle for a lot of that game. It is an area where we need to try and address through trading. Some really good signs tonight but still plenty to work on.

Carlton had no depth today but they had guys like Cunningham and Graham play midfield and actually attacking the footy. I think it's part of just having a poor mindset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The melt on Carlton board is delicious.
Sitting here listening to Melbourne SEN talk back with Carlton supporters imploding lol...very satisfying after the years they ripped us off with the deal at Princess Park and trying to poach our players like Lyon n marchesani... sweet dreams Docherty

I'll take a first half dominance every game. You're much more likely to win than playing catch up, as we showed today.

Very exciting to see Witherden and Cox kick their first goals. I thought Martin was great in the ruck, competed hard all day and shaded Kreuzer.

And when we were threatened in the last quarter and they got to 2 goals, it was Ryan Lester who stood up with a number of important possessions in defence and a telling mark. Only a couple of weeks after he marked and kicked the sealer against Essendon. What a player! Ryan, you're a hero. Hope you play 200+ games for us. I'm looking forward to your hundredth game in 3 weeks.

No changes for next week... unless we lose Dayne to a suspension. Nick will have to wait for another chance.

Sitting here listening to Melbourne SEN talk back with Carlton supporters imploding lol...very satisfying after the years they ripped us off with the deal at Princess Park and trying to poach our players like Lyon n marchesani... sweet dreams Docherty

Lol, Go Bolts...

Can we please keep some space available in this thread for all those knockers who were bagging Lester through the week. For the record he had 26 disposals, took nine marks - the majority in defence and kicked a goal. He was creative, ran hard and was instrumental in a number of goals. Remember that Lester is only 24 years old and he has plenty of great football ahead of him. Well done Ryan Lester!
Congratulations to Lester but all the knockers were correct at the time. This is probably the best game l have seen him play in 2 years. If he can play like that regularly then he should be in the team long term, however consistency is the problem with him.

Back