Review Round 18, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Unsure on the Cutler incident. Wasnt intentional but was sloppy. Anywhere from 0-2.
Andrews and or Hodge in the backline would have been the difference last night. Few times it was very unorganised back there where normally you would expect Harris to pop up and impact a contest.
Didn’t enjoy Ricciuitos commentary either.
Could of pinched it. Didn’t. We move on. Pretty worried about next week though. They could easily pants us.

We didn't control the midfield well, we made a lot of mistakes (which we've done for most of the year) and we let Adelaide take too many easy marks in front of goal. We didn't play nearly as well as the past few weeks...but that's ok. We all know this team isn't the finished product. Each game is still a learning experience, and we only lost by 5 points in a game we clearly weren't at our best in. We still showed flashes of what we can do, but for the majority of the game, I saw us as second best.

The best moment for me...seeing Cam come from nowhere to beat everyone to take an incredibly strong grab. He had no right to hold onto that ball. Then to slot it. Rayner is an absolute gem.

Some of his kicks were crap

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yeah he had a few bad ones vs Hawthorn too. He makes up for it generally with his inside game but he has to stop that 2-3 bad clamgers a day under little pressure that turn a promising attacking thrust into a defensive scramble to avoid one coming back the other way.

He did however seem to be working harder with defensive run last night. Not always effective though due to his lack of pace but he was at least putting on that perceived pressure.

Felt like it. And a lot of awkward situations where he failed to pick up a ground ball and it spilled to a Crows player etc.

I really rate the way he has been playing lately but my feeling at the game was that he was cursed last night.
I thought Roberston was ok, but I think it is unfair singling out Cutler when Robertson's poor disposal directly lead to Adelaide scoring at least 2-3 goals, which in a 5 point loss is more telling.

We got a midfield lesson - even tho the ruck was winning, clearances were hard to get, tackles were not sticking and we were trailing opponents all night. Maybe we got a little ahead of themselves and having no backline intercept marking options was painful in the 2nd quarter. The matchups were hideous and we got picked apart as the ball came easily thru the midfield. But .. last year we would have got down by 10 goals plus. But we didn't. Most players were down and most defenders seems to have a few mistakes in them. It means our structures can hold up. Add Hodge and a confident Andrews, we win that game. So hats off to the coaches and players.

So much to learn from that game - great coaching fodder.

I wasn't happy with beams game last night. Really off night for him

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Beams was very heavily tagged. So much so I was surprised he didn't take some direct response.

He should've done an Ablett and whinged to the umpires. Makes a joke of the whole monitoring off the ball stuff. Just meaningless.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

They wasted a lot of energy pushing n shoving in the first half that could have been used on the ball in the 3rd qtr, (matho, big O n hipwood, went missing a bit in the 3rd boys after all the aggro). Its good to come out firing but fire at the ball not the player. Playing at night up here really doesnt suit us, not good for our style. A dewy slippery ball and ground, slipped handballs, dropped marks, lots of players slipping over ( cox , m robbo especially ). How much training do they do on the gabba at night. Unusual game from beams, lots of clangers n turnovers, but tried as hard as anyone. Cutler may get a week, so keep cox in for one more game, this time under the eye and direction of hodge. Cox needs it so much. Lester, barrett were good should hold spots. A tight loss doesn't mean a need for wholesale changes. Suspensions, injury, hodge, will mould those decisions. Id like Harris to have a run in the seconds under tight observation before coming back into the firsts.

What do you think I’m saying?

I just said above I felt reasonably confident on the weekend with him on Jenkins, who’s an average forward, same the week before on Roughead. That’s the middle ground. I’m not saying he’s a dud. He’s an upgrade on Eagles.

Some posters saying he can’t be dropped is ridiculous when we’re playing a team who only played one key forward on the weekend who happens to be the most in form forward in the comp and we’ve seen Dizzy play well on Cameron, Buddy and other key forwards and Walker hasn’t.
You felt confident with Walker on Jenkins? I thought Jenkins gave him an absolute bath in the first half. Walker couldn't go with him on the lead and struggled to compete physically as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You felt confident with Walker on Jenkins? I thought Jenkins gave him an absolute bath in the first half. Walker couldn't go with him on the lead and struggled to compete physically as well.

But Jenkins only kicked 2, both from ground level and one was a joe the goose in the goal square. Walker didn’t win the position but he broke even IMO. Which is all I expected.

Does anyone have access to hitout to advantage stats? Stef got his hand on it more than Jacobs, but so many of them seemed to go straight down an Adelaide mid's throat.

This week we had 49 hitouts total with 35% to advantage. Martin had 39 at 31% to advantage and McInerney had 10 at 50% to advantage. Adelaide had 38 total at 42%, with Jacobs 33 at 36% and Jenkins 5 at 80%.
We won the clearances 41 to 40.

Last week against a weaker ruck duo we had 40 goal at 45% to advantage, with Martin 33 at 48% and McInerney 7 at 29%. Hawthorn had had 33 total at 31% to advantage, with Ceglar 30 at 33% and O’Brien 2 at 0%. With the ruck advantage we won the clearances 44 to 29.

Never really felt like we were in the game after the 2nd quarter. Other games where we've just lost, I've felt like we stuffed it up, last night felt like the crows had an answer for everything we did. They were getting the ball inside 50 more and into dangerous spots and their forwards were able to mark it, our inside 50's were poor.

Seemed pretty obvious at the game that the Crows had done their homework on us.

We set up so many of our attacking thrusts by hitting that little 15-20 metre release kick into the corridor which then creates the overlapping handball option to the runners who come through.

The Crows did very well to tighten up and not allow that release kick option, and we struggled to find another way. Forced us to kick to players in a less preferable position where the support run wasn’t there.

Just highlights another area of improvement for us, we need some alternative modes to switch into. Has to be a whole team thing. So it will take time and experience.

His game wasn't great, but he competed very hard and ran his heart out. He has played two very high pressure games in a row which is something he is not used to. He is and always has been thought of as a high ceiling project player. Let's give him that chance to develop without calling him garbage etc.

Cox, a second year project player, will be dropped for Hodge, a 33 year old veteran.
Yeah agree. Never called him garbage though. Just said he had a bad game which there were others in that boat as well. He hasn't handled the pressure all that well and would agree with others on here that maybe he should be played where he might gain a bit more confidence such as the wing or forward of center not at half back where the pressure is telling, however I don't subscribe to writing off the young lad as he has plenty of upside just low on confidence in that pos. at AFL level

One thing that I noticed is that Squizzy Taylor's tackling hasn't improved all season. You can see opposition players looking up. seeing Taylor and taking him on nearly every time as he rarely 'lands' a tackle. This happen a few times last night.

This needs to improve.

Not necessarily. Geelong only played 1 key forward this week so we don’t need both Andrews and Walker. I’d actually prefer Gardiner played on him than Walker who has fast become overrated.

Isn't great that Walker has become overrated?

Imagine if Lester became overrated>

One thing that I noticed is that Squizzy Taylor's tackling hasn't improved all season. You can see opposition players looking up. seeing Taylor and taking him on nearly every time as he rarely 'lands' a tackle. This happen a few times last night.

This needs to improve.

Given his physique, I will be surprised if it does. I think it's improved from a few seasons ago but it's still his most obvious weakness.

Just watching the AFL show this morning. They seem to think Cutler will be fine.

This post made me go back and watch it again a few times, I thought maybe in the cold light of day I may have a differnt take.

It was worse than I remember and if that doesent get weeks ill be absolutely dumbfounded.

Im thinking maybe you have confused it with the McStay incident?

Last edited:
Lol yep. When squiz took the mark I thought we would have ~2-3min left. Was a shock to me as well. Short 28min qrt.

I firmly believe the AFL is like the NBA....they do everything in their power to ensure the outcomes of certain games. I.e. keep the Crows final chances alive. And I won't even mention the last two grand finals....

I firmly believe the AFL is like the NBA....they do everything in their power to ensure the outcomes of certain games. I.e. keep the Crows final chances alive. And I won't even mention the last two grand finals....
Big call Beast. Match fixing alive and well in the AFL and even more astounding the AFL decide to do it and organize the fixing. You may be interested-

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/forums/conspiracies.435/

This post made me go back and watch it again a few times, I thought maybe in the cold light of day I may have a differnt take.

It was worse than I remember and if that doesent get weeks ill be absolutely dumbfounded.

We can’t find a video of the incident. Do you have a link

Back