Autopsy Round 18, 2018: Hawks pound the blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton would be bottom of the VFL

The thing about Carlton is they have average ball skills, but their main problem is players don't work anywhere near hard enough when they don't have the ball. I've pointed this out before, but Cripps is the main offender. He just pretends to chase. In order to improve, you need your better players setting the example, and that's just not happening at Carlton. It seems to me Cripps is going to be another Judd, Dangerfield, etc in that they are judged purely and simply when the get the ball, the rest of their game is ordinary.

Having said that, Carlton are very good at needless pushing and shoving though.

The thing about Carlton is they have average ball skills, but their main problem is players don't work anywhere near hard enough when they don't have the ball. I've pointed this out before, but Cripps is the main offender. He just pretends to chase. In order to improve, you need your better players setting the example, and that's just not happening at Carlton. It seems to me Cripps is going to be another Judd, Dangerfield, etc in that they are judged purely and simply when the get the ball, the rest of their game is ordinary.

Having said that, Carlton are very good at needless pushing and shoving though.
Must be a cultural problem or issues with developing players

They have had so many top 10 picks lately and still a rabble. Then they have top 10 picks who can't hit targets with 2m handballs.
Compare that to Sicily who was pick 50+ and is All Australian and Worpel who is pick 45.

Development.
Culture

Whilst I agree with your synopsis deanc you are relying on a panel of ex footballers actually understanding or even giving a toss about what was offered up as a defence. In all seriousness I don’t even know why they bother with the farce of having lawyers when the panel wouldn’t even have the expertise required to interpret the legalese put forward. It would make just as much sense to take along your own ex footballer to present your case in your behalf - could they really be any worse

Perhaps but it appears the plan of Howe's representation was to plead guilty to a careless action receiving a lesser sanction, which is a reasonable strategy, but then not presenting well researched and relevant arguments to get 'severe' impact reduced to 'medium' was just pathetic.
Did O'Farrell even bother to seek clarification on why and how a medical outcome can determine the level of impact?

Seriously, could any of you believe the commentators questioning whether Tom Mitchell should get votes for the game? Mitchell was so far ahead of the next player it was laughable, and the idiots with microphones were wondering if he should get votes or not.

Not only that, but they were very quick to highlight any imperfection in his game and at the same time having the nerve to label Cripps "The great man". Now, come on, what on earth has Cripps done to deserve that accolade? We've got another Judd on our hands folks.

Methinks some of the commentators are mounting a campaign to dissuade umpires from voting for Tom. Probably have their money on that tall idiot with a stupid beard who kicks the ball like a 5 year old. There's been a lot of media exposure for him of late.

Seriously, could any of you believe the commentators questioning whether Tom Mitchell should get votes for the game? Mitchell was so far ahead of the next player it was laughable, and the idiots with microphones were wondering if he should get votes or not.

Not only that, but they were very quick to highlight any imperfection in his game and at the same time having the nerve to label Cripps "The great man". Now, come on, what on earth has Cripps done to deserve that accolade? We've got another Judd on our hands folks.

Methinks some of the commentators are mounting a campaign to dissuade umpires from voting for Tom. Probably have their money on that tall idiot with a stupid beard who kicks the ball like a 5 year old. There's been a lot of media exposure for him of late.
Split Mitchell's stats in half and he is still among the top performers on the field.

The last paragraph belongs on the conspiracy board.

I actually think Cripps is a little over rated.... gets it enough and gets it in the contest..... but if people question whether Mitchell's touches hurt have they ever watched Cripps play?

My major criticism of Cripps is he doesn't work anywhere hard enough off the ball. You may see him in a play where there is a stoppage. The ball is bounced and play continues while Cripps just hangs around watching. If he does decide to chase, it's as if he couldn't care if he tackles an opponent or not. Many times you see an opponent running downfield and #9 for Carlton just jogging along behind him. The reason I say he's another Judd is commentators are only looking at what he does with the ball, not his entire game.

I actually think Cripps is a little over rated.... gets it enough and gets it in the contest..... but if people question whether Mitchell's touches hurt have they ever watched Cripps play?

Agree with both you and Adelaide Hawk. The number of times he took possession of the ball and proceeded to do an over the head handball in hope that he found a team mate was numerous and when compared to Mitch

Tom hands down beats him in just about every area so it’s got me beat where this media beat up on Mitchell comes from.

I’m not going to be surprised if psychologically this ongoing rhetoric around Tom hasn’t already been planted in umpires minds and he doesn’t poll well at all.

My major criticism of Cripps is he doesn't work anywhere hard enough off the ball. You may see him in a play where there is a stoppage. The ball is bounced and play continues while Cripps just hangs around watching. If he does decide to chase, it's as if he couldn't care if he tackles an opponent or not. Many times you see an opponent running downfield and #9 for Carlton just jogging along behind him. The reason I say he's another Judd is commentators are only looking at what he does with the ball, not his entire game.

Cripps doesnt have the benefit of our fitness staff, under Andrew Russell he would be an unstoppable force, atm he is an unfit, average skilled big bodied mid that could be so much more at a club with a good fitness/training system in place.

the problems at Carlton are multi-layered, they lack a solid administration, they lack quality coaching/training staff, they lack a vision and playstyle and they lack onfield leadership to pass on the coaches orders to wayward youngsters... these problems would take a few years to fix with a competent group running the club, but i doubt these guys are very competent

also Carlton lack the 30 or so AFL quality players it takes to be a finals team, they have maybe 15 that are quality AFL players, that gets you bottom 4 always.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back