Review Round 18, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with the AFL coming out and indicating a decision was wrong is just that, they’ve called out one decision. If they are going to do that then they need to call out all the bad decisions. Including the one paid against Oscar that led to a Ben Brown goal at the other end, the perfectly legitimate tackle Richy made in the wing that led to the Mason Wood goal and the body contact in a marking contest paid against Hodge. It’s a fruitless exercise calling out just one decision.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep.... and it's a bit tiresome calling out the umps...It's the way the ump sees it...yep ..they make mistakes some go our way some don't..North are serial offenders at umpire bashing and have been doing it for years it's part of their culture..Not a good look when your coach and club do...

The problem with the AFL coming out and indicating a decision was wrong is just that, they’ve called out one decision. If they are going to do that then they need to call out all the bad decisions. Including the one paid against Oscar that led to a Ben Brown goal at the other end, the perfectly legitimate tackle Richy made in the wing that led to the Mason Wood goal and the body contact in a marking contest paid against Hodge. It’s a fruitless exercise calling out just one decision.

Exactly.

Is it for decisions in the last 2 minutes? Is it for decisions that lead to a goal? How about non-decisions that lead to a goal? Decisions that lead to a play that lead to a goal? Decisions for the away team or the home team? How about we set up a review panel that has an hour set aside for each game and discusses each time the umpire blows their (or doesn't) whistle. Best yet, lets build some robots and remove the humans altogether and live in a world of technological bliss......

Additionally, i know we got belted, but whenever the topic of bad umpiring decisions is bought up, i think of our Collingwood match where the AFL admitted there were TWO incorrect goal called against us. And those are definitive calls with a 100% impact on the final outcome.

Exactly.

Is it for decisions in the last 2 minutes? Is it for decisions that lead to a goal? How about non-decisions that lead to a goal? Decisions that lead to a play that lead to a goal? Decisions for the away team or the home team? How about we set up a review panel that has an hour set aside for each game and discusses each time the umpire blows their (or doesn't) whistle. Best yet, lets build some robots and remove the humans altogether and live in a world of technological bliss......

Additionally, i know we got belted, but whenever the topic of bad umpiring decisions is bought up, i think of our Collingwood match where the AFL admitted there were TWO incorrect goal called against us. And those are definitive calls with a 100% impact on the final outcome.

Come the end of the year, % is gonna be tight. 😶

I normally really enjoy reading the review thread after a win but this week the focus on the reaction of North supporters has gotten boring.

Sounds like something a North supporter would say.

Get him!

Looks like we only won by 6 then. Percentage just took a very small hit. ;)

Just out of interest, did the AFL also say it was incorrect when they paid the same fee against Hodge, or does that not count because... reasons...
Did they also say that the HTB paid to Higgins was correct late in the last when our player had no chance despite numerous others i.e. Ben Brown completely dropping the ball near the 50m arc in the first quarter and countless others as being wrong either?

How the AFL could address that the free to McInerney was wrong whilst ignoring the free to Brown by McInerney late in the last (when even Luke Darcy, a 200+ game ruckman was saying that same thing had occurred all night without penalty) is also wrong on many levels.

Last comment I’ll make on the North supporters, but on a positive note, I just received a pm from one of the North mods apologising on behalf of their board about the low blow Fitzroy comments. Good to see that there are some classy individuals out there amongst the salty keyboard warriors. To be honest, I deserved some time off after some of the comments I made on their board. I’m now moving onto next week. Big game against the Hawks!

Must admit, last night watching it live and again watching the replay, again last night, I couldn't believe Neale didn't pass the ball to Darcy Gardiner who was completely clear and open about 40m directly in front at the 30 second mark of this clip and instead looked like he was trying to bombed it to forward of the goal square.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must admit, last night watching it live and again watching the replay, again last night, I couldn't believe Neale didn't pass the ball to Darcy Gardiner who was completely clear and open about 40m directly in front at the 30 second mark of this clip and instead looked like he was trying to bombed it to forward of the goal square.

At the game I thought he was trying to but just messed up the kick. Darcy was 50m away across goal so it wasn't the easiest kick to hit, but Neale should have put it much more in his area.

I prefer the decision where Hodge told the umpire he wasn’t blocking the North player and the umpire appeared to amend his decision accordingly. I think Hodge should umpire.

I prefer the decision where Hodge told the umpire he wasn’t blocking the North player and the umpire appeared to amend his decision accordingly. I think Hodge should umpire.

He is today ;)

The free kick to Oscar was just a good old fashioned ‘level up’ for the soft free and goal that Brown got up the other end. Members of the Over 50’s Clique welcome and fully endorse the return of the LEVEL UP and eagerly await recompense for the night the umpires CRUCIFIED FITZROY against Adelaide.

There should have been a Royal Commission into the umpiring of this game.

Very important mark and then also clearance for Lyons in those last 2 minutes
Lyons could just about be leading our B/F at present. He will also poll well in the Brownlow.

Lyons could just about be leading our B/F at present. He will also poll well in the Brownlow.

He won't poll that well - his first 10 games were pretty inconsistent.

However, he's easily been our form player post-bye and could have 9 brownlow votes in those games (Melbourne, Port and North).

The free kick to Oscar was just a good old fashioned ‘level up’ for the soft free and goal that Brown got up the other end. Members of the Over 50’s Clique welcome and fully endorse the return of the LEVEL UP and eagerly await recompense for the night the umpires CRUCIFIED FITZROY against Adelaide.

I agree - never been a more disgraceful umpiring performance.

I met Rod Jamieson (who was the beneficiary of some of it) a couple of years ago and he couldn’t believe the depth of feeling about it long after. Poor bugger just remembers going ok on his 21st birthday.

I’d have gladly led going Guy Fawkes- style on VFL House.

I clearly remember watching this game at my nan and pops place. I balled my eyes out, ran outside, climbed up the peppercorn tree and wouldn’t come down lol. They ended up coaxing me down by promising to take me to the Pancake Parlour the next day!

He is having a huge year.. I hear the boys (bullants) played well this morning and your boy was on fire up front.
Yeah he had a ripper. He had it on a string. Your boy killed it in the middle too.

Back