Review Round 18, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I was happy with our third and think most supporters were too. We kept you scoreless and did everything but finish all our chances.
You shouldn't be. You controlled the quarter but poor decision making kept giving the ball back to us. You should have put the game away with your dominance but left the door open.

One that I saw on the Kangas board was that there was a conspiracy against them on the weekend because we are the "exciting" team in the league and us doing well is good for business. It goes any and all ways.

I love this one because over the last three weeks we haven't even broken even on free kicks. So if that's the case, it's not a very good conspiracy.

You shouldn't be. You controlled the quarter but poor decision making kept giving the ball back to us. You should have put the game away with your dominance but left the door open.
The story of a lot of our year really. We've been lucky at times where we've managed to win games despite that, but more successful inside 50s would probably have won us games against the Dogs and Fremantle, and could well have iced the Carlton game before Cripps got a chance to go nuts.

The best variant of that I have heard in the past few days is that because Gold Coast are sucking so much the AFL needs to help us to keep AFL interesting in QLD.

In that case I'm glad they waited until the 3rd quarter of round 18 to pull the trigger on that one when we were already 3rd on the ladder. :drunk:

Live from Gilligan's office.

1563834948727.png

Your pressure was very good to be fair. We definitely didn't take our chances like we should have. 5 behinds is very wasteful.

The story of a lot of our year really. We've been lucky at times where we've managed to win games despite that, but more successful inside 50s would probably have won us games against the Dogs and Fremantle, and could well have iced the Carlton game before Cripps got a chance to go nuts.

Totally.
We struggled on Saturday to find a forward on a clear lead, just doesn't happen for us too many times.
Was a bit envious when Brown had good separation from Harris to make a clean mark .
Also because we are so focused on the getting bodies to the contest we sometimes get found out when the opposition gets it to their outside players and away they go with a good outside set up.
Our great wins this year has been when we have been so fierce at the contest we are the ones ending up with the ball .
Fages mentioned in the Pressa we still have to find that balance of playing surge footy and playing a more controlled style. Which I'm not 100% on this , but think he was saying that we kick to a free player instead of surging or kicking to a contest every time.

Fwiw Dingster you guys looked impressive when you got it to the outside, entertaining footy.
Very impressed with Shaws pressa as well, disappointed and confused at the decision , but still calm , very professional.

We are happy with it because at the end of the day we found a way to win against a very competitve side despite our scoring issues in the third. And not many teams have been kept scoreless for an entire quarter so our defence showed great resiliance despite us not building scoreboard pressure. On the other hand, I think we are second only to Geelong for quarters won this year, so we are doing more right than wrong more often than our opponents. I guess being second after 17 rounds confirms that. And of course it almost never lasts long so we will continue to enjoy it while we can.

As an aside from the umpire talk - Did anyone else love the Robbo Cunnington collision and the wry grin from the two of them afterwards?

I would love Cunnington at the Lions. would be a perfect piece of the puzzle to add. will be a one club player though.

Anyone who entertains the fact that the AFL would send directives to umpires or the MRO to alter or control the outcomes of games or seasons is out of their right mind.

If the AFL were exposed for match fixing it would be the biggest saga in the history of the the AFL, the entire administration would be thrown out and it would take a decade to recover. And for what? some intangible, immeasurable commercial benefit - like, risking their entire career for one game to be potentially altered by a few free kicks? as if that would be worth it in any way shape of form.

The Notion the AFL would communicate with umpires something like "We really need a competitive team in QLD to protect or commercial interests up there, if you could stack frees in their favor tonight as much as possible to ensure a win for them, that would be great" - or anything like that, on any level, is utterly laughable.

Not at all a fan of this scratching the leg nonsense he was doing but the allegations about spitting are ridiculous. If you take an impact to the chest or stomach and you're not prepared and bracing for it then you get the wind forced out of you. Zorko's on the ground, nowhere for his body to move backwards when being shoved from above so his chest has to absorb all of the force. Of course stuff is going to come out of his mouth, but I can't for the life of me see how he intentionally aimed it at old mate's face.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best variant of that I have heard in the past few days is that because Gold Coast are sucking so much the AFL needs to help us to keep AFL interesting in QLD.

In that case I'm glad they waited until the 3rd quarter of round 18 to pull the trigger on that one when we were already 3rd on the ladder. :drunk:
If only they realised how terrible the Suns have been sooner. We might've been gifted a couple of premierships already to even it up!

Anyone who entertains the fact that the AFL would send directives to umpires or the MRO to alter or control the outcomes of games or seasons is out of their right mind.

If the AFL were exposed for match fixing it would be the biggest saga in the history of the the AFL, the entire administration would be thrown out and it would take a decade to recover. And for what? some intangible, immeasurable commercial benefit - like, risking their entire career for one game to be potentially altered by a few free kicks? as if that would be worth it in any way shape of form.

The Notion the AFL would communicate with umpires something like "We really need a competitive team in QLD to protect or commercial interests up there, if you could stack frees in their favor tonight as much as possible to ensure a win for them, that would be great" - or anything like that, on any level, is utterly laughable.
You're trying to bring logic and reason into the argument.

It's beyond the tiny minds of some AFL supporters that umpires can make mistakes, mind you they make a lot less mistakes than players throughout a game.

It doesn't help at the moment that a lot of game day commentators barely know or understand the rules so fire up like idiots.

I think the appeal could go either way really. It reminds me in a slight way of the Soldo one too. But the club absolutely had to go for it.

Hopefully Zorko can also pull his head in. Didn't like that milking of the holding and his grabbing the leg all that much. Hopefully the boys will be firing after some of this silly media attention.

No guarantee he gets off as his surname isn't Fyfe or Ablett, but an absolute necessity to challenge.

Whatley didn't see it worthy of a 30 minute diatribe either (being it was Brisbane), let alone a mention, so that greatly effects his chances of getting off too. Needed Whately to drive public support in his favor.

We need him this week otherwise Oscar will play back because he's 100/1 to get a free kick anywhere near goal.

Going to be a brave ump to pay any of those.

Mods on their board automatically delete any post from a non North supporter? I posted actually agreeing with something they said and I still got deleted.
I posted on their board under my name Paul Mac and they s**t themselves ( with them bagging the s**t out of Jamie Macmillan ) as they though I was Jamie's dad.

Back