Preview Round 18, 2019: Geelong Cats v Hawthorn, 21 July 2019, 1.10pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gunston to miss another imo, as will Scrimshaw. Gunston has been struggling for a fair while and I think giving him a couple weeks rest is warranted- Scrimmers I don't want to rush back and Geelong will be a fiery game and there's no point risking him in it.
Would love for the team to go in unchanged for this one- a bit of continuity could do us the world of good!

IN: Jones (debut)

OUT: Puopolo

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Birchall, O'Brien, Sicily

C: Henderson, Shiels, Smith

HF: Burgoyne, Gunston, Wingard

F: Breust, Lewis, Hanrahan

R: McEvoy, O'Meara, Worpel

INT: Scully, Jones, Impey, Howe

Our run home looks like this:

Geelong (MCG)
Brisbane (UTAS)
North (Marvel)
GWS (UNSW)
Gold Coast (Marvel)
West Coast (OS)

We are sitting on 7-9 and 2 games out of the 8 with a decent percentage so don't be surprised if we are a smoky chance to make the finals if we can somehow beat the Cats on Sunday. I'm not expecting us to make it but it would be awesome to see the melts if we did.

My last game of seeing the Hawks live unless we make Finals, off to Europe for 7 weeks.

If we beat the Handbaggers I will be still drunk when I get on the plane.Then top up in the airport lounge at Singapore airport, before that god awful 13 hours to London.

Nothing beats handing out a loss to the Handbaggers, I hope Clarko hammers the boys with a “We have nothing to lose” mentality.
Good news, now I won’t be alone stuck at Australian night time with the gang of Euro Geelong flogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No wonder Geelong have been down the last couple of weeks, they've been saving themselves for their Grand Final on Sunday.

What's funny is they desperately need to give Scablett a rest but won't dare knowing how well he plays against us. So long as Duckwood is there the scars of 2008 will continue to fester and games like this will mean a lot more to them than us, and though they'll play out of their skins as usual I expect we will prevail. Geelong have a very soft underbelly and our ability to pressure them into mistakes will be a prelude to their September collapse. ;)

I expect the backline (with a midfield assist) to hold the Cats to around 80 points. So, will the forward line kick straight enough to win? That's the question.

Geelong have averaged 13.8 goals a game and 10.2 behinds for 24 scoring shots a game. The Hawks have averaged 10.9, 10.9 for 21.8. The boys will have to hit those two sitters from dead in front when they tend to miss every match plus pull one or two out of their backsides to give us a winning score.

Defensively, Geelong allow 10.2 goals against per match while the Hawks only allow 8.

Perhaps there's a chance we'll be able to turn up the defensive heat on them enough and get enough offensive output that we'll pull a victory. I reckon there's a good chance the boys can do it.

Very happy to see the great man Birchall get thru and Hanarahan input.
Lets not get to far ahead of ourselves 3 goals upto 3qtr time against the pies and a win against the worst performed side over the last month next to goldcoast.

A win this week will have us only 1 game out of the 8 with the crows and bombers facing off. The next 2 weeks cats & lions will test how far we have come. The side is starting to look a lot better with names like Birchall,Wingard,Gunston in.

Gunston - Nash.

Gotta love the confidence in this thread
1 v 10 and we’re the winner - has me smiling

I see neither Grimshaw or Moore played for box hill, so the only change will be gunners - unfortunately unless there’s an injury somewhere I can’t see anyone other than Hanners being left out

Last edited:
I reckon Gunners will play only because we're still a smoky for Finals. When that chance is gone (if we lose the next two) we'll start resting players for next year.
I can't see him playing this week. When we had the bye he had 2 weeks rest but still he was not right with the injury he
had, whatever that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back