Preview Round 18, 2019: Geelong Cats v Hawthorn, 21 July 2019, 1.10pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif
Haha
Did he just say ****?

Bad news about Jones' PCL. Hope he can recover & get in a decent preseason. Don't mind Scrimshaw being given enough time to get right. We know what he can produce & the next couple of seasons he should be fun to watch.

PCL's are the new osteitis pubis injury. Out of nowhere players starting having pelvic bone injuries, now PCL's like a rash. Funny how it comes in waves.

PCL's are the new osteitis pubis injury. Out of nowhere players starting having pelvic bone injuries, now PCL's like a rash. Funny how it comes in waves.
I wonder if this has something to do with how training regimes and player loads throughout the seasons have shifted. Purely on math, players are running more throughout the year, just means more chance of something happening.

Anyone got the inside word on scrimshaw another 2 weeks? Turning into a 8 week layoff, i hope its nothing to do with his previous injurys at goldcoast.
Looked like a birchall clone earlier in the season and really impressed me in tough times, it would be great to have him and Birchall up and firing! With Sicily Hardwick, Impey, Stratts down back you can't fit them all in a good problem to have :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we go in with no change.

If Gunston is good to go then you could argue Nash to go out but I think Nash plays definitely on H.Taylor all day.
Scully should be the out if there are to be any changes purely as a management strategy. He has been vulnerable all season defensively although building into his Hawthorn role. He looks like he needs a rest.

The match ups on paper look pretty even as a head to head with a small stoppage ascendancy in the inside to the Cats.

I think to win we will need to get a ton of pressure on through the midfield & be aggressive on turnovers off half back & open up some space for Gunston, Lewis, Wingard & Breust to have maximum opportunity to score fast & often.

If we can keep the cats under 80 I feel with some confidence & continuity building we are as good a chance as any to kick our highest score of the year for the win.
One on one deep forward & in space we have them covered.
That high ball BS will kill the contest & play right into their hands.

Hawks by 9 & Hardwick to kick 3 as the change up in the forward line.

Stratts Chip Silk

Birch Sicily Impey

Hendo Howe Shiels

Breust TOB Gunston

Poppy Lewis Hardwick

BB Worps Jags

Wingard Nash Hanrahan Smith

Last time, they scored a combined 5-6 goals in the last 2 minutes of each quarter (so 8 mins of play). That's 30-36 points they scored when we were stuffed & we lost by 24ish.

They'll play every quarter right to the siren & we can guarantee they'll get a big lift from the Umps when they need it (or when we need it least).

We've got to find a way to limit the damage when things aren't going our way; be it fatiguing or when the Umps get creative. If we can do that, we're in with a reasonable chance.

Sorry, but that’s absolute bulls**t.

It's not. Ceglar offered something in a time before Lewis and while we still had Cyril, but now his impact would simply be a lack of mobility.

If he comes in for Lewis it's a downgrade as a forward and running ability.

If he comes in for Nash it's a downgrade in pressure and running ability.

Every time McEvoy has played as a sole ruck, he's been a star. Every time he has to share responsibility, he's more inconsistent.

Last time, they scored a combined 5-6 goals in the last 2 minutes of each quarter (so 8 mins of play). That's 30-36 points they scored when we were stuffed & we lost by 24ish.

They'll play every quarter right to the siren & we can guarantee they'll get a big lift from the Umps when they need it (or when we need it least).

We've got to find a way to limit the damage when things aren't going our way; be it fatiguing or when the Umps get creative. If we can do that, we're in with a reasonable chance.
Rohan. He absolutely slaughtered us late in quarters that day.

I hope we go in with no change.

If Gunston is good to go then you could argue Nash to go out but I think Nash plays definitely on H.Taylor all day.
Scully should be the out if there are to be any changes purely as a management strategy. He has been vulnerable all season defensively although building into his Hawthorn role. He looks like he needs a rest.

The match ups on paper look pretty even as a head to head with a small stoppage ascendancy in the inside to the Cats.

I think to win we will need to get a ton of pressure on through the midfield & be aggressive on turnovers off half back & open up some space for Gunston, Lewis, Wingard & Breust to have maximum opportunity to score fast & often.

If we can keep the cats under 80 I feel with some confidence & continuity building we are as good a chance as any to kick our highest score of the year for the win.
One on one deep forward & in space we have them covered.
That high ball BS will kill the contest & play right into their hands.

Hawks by 9 & Hardwick to kick 3 as the change up in the forward line.

Stratts Chip Silk

Birch Sicily Impey

Hendo Howe Shiels

Breust TOB Gunston

Poppy Lewis Hardwick

BB Worps Jags

Wingard Nash Hanrahan Smith
Agree with this - would love to see Hardwick up forward as an experiment. Spent all his junior days up there and dominated. Our back 6 has been fantastic all year which could afford us this luxury.

Hope Obrien stays in, his last few games have been very good. He's building. Ditto Lewis.

Dam excited for this game, this is one of the better teams we've fielded this year and we do so with some momentum. Could give a real nudge against an underwhelming cats outfit post bye. Gaz in doubt also.

Agree with this - would love to see Hardwick up forward as an experiment. Spent all his junior days up there and dominated. Our back 6 has been fantastic all year which could afford us this luxury.

Hope Obrien stays in, his last few games have been very good. He's building. Ditto Lewis.

Dam excited for this game, this is one of the better teams we've fielded this year and we do so with some momentum. Could give a real nudge against an underwhelming cats outfit post bye. Gaz in doubt also.

Agree, when the time is right I would love to see Hardwick up forward. This guys absolutely revels in the pressure of taking set shots - unlike some who seem to have a bad case of the yips or prefer to pass off when in range. I trust Topiary when he said a while ago that once all the pieces come together down back and Clarko is happy with the formation - Hardwick will go forward.

He is a beautiful set shot and I’m sick of seeing so many easy shots at goal fluffed this year. I’m excited to see a potential forward line of Patton, Lewis, Gunston, Hardwick, Wingard/Hanrahan and Breust. Waiting in the wings for their chances would be Walker, Nash, and Jackson Ross. Pretty exciting forward line IMO

Agree, when the time is right I would love to see Hardwick up forward. This guys absolutely revels in the pressure of taking set shots - unlike some who seem to have a bad case of the yips or prefer to pass off when in range. I trust Topiary when he said a while ago that once all the pieces come together down back and Clarko is happy with the formation - Hardwick will go forward.

He is a beautiful set shot and I’m sick of seeing so many easy shots at goal fluffed this year. I’m excited to see a potential forward line of Patton, Lewis, Gunston, Hardwick, Wingard/Hanrahan and Breust. Waiting in the wings for their chances would be Walker, Nash, and Jackson Ross. Pretty exciting forward line IMO
Poppy spent a bit of time back.

You know Hardwick will bring a solid defence to compliment his forward craft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back