Preview Round 18, 2019: Geelong Cats v Hawthorn, 21 July 2019, 1.10pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, when the time is right I would love to see Hardwick up forward. This guys absolutely revels in the pressure of taking set shots - unlike some who seem to have a bad case of the yips or prefer to pass off when in range. I trust Topiary when he said a while ago that once all the pieces come together down back and Clarko is happy with the formation - Hardwick will go forward.

He is a beautiful set shot and I’m sick of seeing so many easy shots at goal fluffed this year. I’m excited to see a potential forward line of Patton, Lewis, Gunston, Hardwick, Wingard/Hanrahan and Breust. Waiting in the wings for their chances would be Walker, Nash, and Jackson Ross. Pretty exciting forward line IMO

This is what the scribes were saying when we recruited him (check the 2015 thread)....

Blake Hardwick would have teams salivating over him if he was a key forward. He’s got the mullet, he’s a physical beast and he plays like Jason Dunstall.

Hardwick plays out of the goal square, where he beats his opponents consistently on the lead. He’s got some nice acceleration off the mark, but his top speed isn’t terrific. He’s a smart small forward, who knows exactly where to lead.

Marking is Hardwick’s strong suit. He’s a sure bet to take a mark on the lead, but he’s also equally adept overhead and in contested situations. He usually takes around five marks per game, and one or two of those will always be contested.

Hardwick is the leading goal kicker in the TAC Cup. He has kicked bags of 12, 10 and eight this year and really picked up the slack since Sam Weideman has missed through injury. He’s a wonderful set shot kicker, kicking 45.14 so far. He doesn’t mind if he’s 50 metres out on a tight angle, as his routine is the same for every kick. It’s technically sound and he stays cool under pressure.

Out Scully (managed)
In Gunston

Although tob could make way. I thought he was serviceable and should stay in but as someone mentioned to me that if Gunston had 8 disposals and kicked 0.2 , would that be acceptable? I said no, not really , so why is acceptable for Tob? I thought it was a good point so we’ll just have to wait and see which way the MC go with this.

So who makes way for Gunner?
Nash
Poppy
Timmy
Scully
Strongest team we will field this year so expecting a big showing. Tipped us the last 3 weeks and will again this week.

What, no way Tyler!

He had a decent game on the weekend - albeit, he isn't kicking the goals he once was he's still applying pressure and a strong component of our forward line.

Ppl have been quick to jump on him this season, some of it unjustifiably.
As a forward it would be nice if he kicked the occasional goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what the scribes were saying when we recruited him (check the 2015 thread)....

Blake Hardwick would have teams salivating over him if he was a key forward. He’s got the mullet, he’s a physical beast and he plays like Jason Dunstall.

Hardwick plays out of the goal square, where he beats his opponents consistently on the lead. He’s got some nice acceleration off the mark, but his top speed isn’t terrific. He’s a smart small forward, who knows exactly where to lead.

Marking is Hardwick’s strong suit. He’s a sure bet to take a mark on the lead, but he’s also equally adept overhead and in contested situations. He usually takes around five marks per game, and one or two of those will always be contested.

Hardwick is the leading goal kicker in the TAC Cup. He has kicked bags of 12, 10 and eight this year and really picked up the slack since Sam Weideman has missed through injury. He’s a wonderful set shot kicker, kicking 45.14 so far. He doesn’t mind if he’s 50 metres out on a tight angle, as his routine is the same for every kick. It’s technically sound and he stays cool under pressure.
I9 remember reading up on Hardwick when we drafted him and I could work out why he went so late in the draft and I still haven't figured it out.

We need howe in to shut down kelly plan and simple. I think nash ollie breust chad and burger can provide enough ground ball pressure without pup in there. Even though TO didn't hit the scoreboard i liked how he split the packs last week, took some solid grabs as a lead up fwd i thought scully was off his game maybe he needs a spell but im going gunners in (thought he needed another week) for pup, id be pissed if ollie was dropped

We need howe in to shut down kelly plan and simple. I think nash ollie breust chad and burger can provide enough ground ball pressure without pup in there. Even though TO didn't hit the scoreboard i liked how he split the packs last week, took some solid grabs as a lead up fwd i thought scully was off his game maybe he needs a spell but im going gunners in (thought he needed another week) for pup, id be pi**ed if ollie was dropped
Can Howe keep up with Kelly?

O’Brien won’t be dropped.

If he isn’t lining up at CHF again I would be surprised. If he isn’t clunking them it’s coming to ground & that’s something we absolutely need to stop the cats rebound, same for Nash.
Lewis, O’Brien & Nash at the very least give us an areal advantage up forward to compete to bring the smalls into the game, not forgetting that all 3 are pretty mobile at ground level.
It’s not a coincidence that these 3 are structuring up our forward line as good as it has been all year.

If the Cats get a run on I would argue that O’Brien will be needed in defence anyway to get Sicily involved as the 3rd tall interceptor.

Can Howe keep up with Kelly?

Personally I’d have Shiels tag Kelly for the game & let Howe run free banging up whoever came near him with the focus on Danger & Guthrie.
If Howe can get 20 disposals, bang up the opposition & make space for Jags, Worps, Wingard ect to get their hands on the footy more that would be a massive win for some fast ball movement from stoppages & space for the big forwards to lead to.

Lewis, O'Brien and Nash sounds like a disco band.

Either way - Geelong have a very athletic backline and it's vital to have guys in that can keep up with them. Nash stays just for that, there aren't many KPP height blokes who can come close to matching him athletically and we have one. May as well use him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back