Autopsy Round 18, 2019: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs *LANGLANDS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Our yardstick for success is another bottom 8 team like us?

I didn't say anything about not hoping clark etc step up.

I said our midfield is so ordinary and THAT far off the quality of the top teams... that not only do we need clark etc to step up, but we also need to buy some A graders too.

That million dollars plus per year salary cap space we have is sitting in the bank year after year- is doing exactly zero for us onfield.

Geez you guys are very easily swayed where 1 win against a fellow bottom 8 team all of a sudden wipes away the last 18 months of carcrash that has been our midfield.

You literally said "And no- just wishing/hoping/expecting guys like clark, acres etc etc to step up wont fill the hole we have."
But we can hope that battle and Wilkie can fill the hole left by Carlisle?

Easily swayed? Says the guy basing Carlisle off of his performance when he returned from back surgery.

No I just see this list as better than how they have been playing under Richo. Let's see how they continue.

Our "ordinary" midfield just beat one of the games best.

Where does he play when battle returns?

Well that's when it gets interesting because we don't know whose idea it was for battle to go back. Maybe Battle goes forward. I would drop Brown again but that will be unpopular on here. I do know they cant play those 3 and Wilkie but they may try. Certainly leaves us with not enough run IMO.

Jack Lonie (STK)
Jack Billings (STK)
Hunter Clark (STK)
Josh Dunkley (WB)
Jade Gresham (STK)
Easton Wood (WB)
Jake Carlisle (STK)
Bailey Dale (WB)

Very interesting set of coaches votes. Would love to know which coach had Billings as best on and the other not having him in the five. No Marshall is surprising as well.

You literally said "And no- just wishing/hoping/expecting guys like clark, acres etc etc to step up wont fill the hole we have."
But we can hope that battle and Wilkie can fill the hole left by Carlisle?

Easily swayed? Says the guy basing Carlisle off of his performance when he returned from back surgery.

No I just see this list as better than how they have been playing under Richo. Let's see how they continue.

Our "ordinary" midfield just beat one of the games best.

Mate are your eyes ok?
what did the very next sentence say after that quote you selectively took?

Here it is in full:

"And no- just wishing/hoping/expecting guys like clark, acres etc etc to step up wont fill the hole we have.

We are so far behind the genuine finals teams that we need those guys to progress AND more A graders from outside too."

The dogs midfield is not one of the games best.

They have the opposite problem to us- they have multiple stars but relatively poor depth.

We have no stars but good depth.

Ps I've been banging the 'jake isn't a good one on one defender drum' on here for a long time since before he did his back

Last edited:
Jack Lonie (STK)
Jack Billings (STK)
Hunter Clark (STK)
Josh Dunkley (WB)
Jade Gresham (STK)
Easton Wood (WB)
Jake Carlisle (STK)
Bailey Dale (WB)

Very interesting set of coaches votes. Would love to know which coach had Billings as best on and the other not having him in the five. No Marshall is surprising as well.

Well Bevo knows the family of Lonie very well so it maybe bevo who didn't give him the votes.

Jake isn't a key defender- he's been monstered man on man for several weeks playing at fullback without brown in the team.

He was genuienly embarrassed by guys like lynch.
This is no suprise though- he's never been good man on man.
But that's fine because he plays his best football as the loose man.

Where do all of brown, wilkie, battle, carlisle play when all are fit?

That's right- jake plays the rebounding loose man like robbo would.
Hence my comparison.

We have plenty of contenders to take the loose backman role.
Sure, jakes best would be better than theirs... but who cares about that slight drop in backline quality if it brought in a genuine gun A grade mid??!!

Trading away mcevoy was for dunstan and savage.
It would have been a good move if either of hickey or longer actually lived up to their top 10 draft pick status.

Also, bollocks that defenders are harder to get than midfielders.
A grade mids don't just fall off the back of a truck.
Gun backmen do that far more often.

We are talking about trying to get A GRADE midfielders here.

Hell we just unearthed battle and wilkie this year, other teams have done the same regularly with spuds like liam jones etc etc.

Michael barlow pre leg break and tim kelly are the only 2 A grade mids in the last 10 years I can recall who have been unearthed as gems.

That happens with backmen across the league every single year.

The match that I watched yesterday, Jake had a lot of good spoils for someone who isn't a key defender.

Out of interest, what do you hope to get out of a trade for Carlisle. Would you be happy with the equivalent of Savage and Dunstan?

And regarding plucking mids out of the draft, I just looked at one draft as an example (2015) and saw Menegola and Tom Phillips after pick 50

Jack Lonie (STK)
Jack Billings (STK)
Hunter Clark (STK)
Josh Dunkley (WB)
Jade Gresham (STK)
Easton Wood (WB)
Jake Carlisle (STK)
Bailey Dale (WB)

This extends Billings lead as our highest vote getting to 32 votes while also bringing him equal with Marshall in amount of games receiving votes to 6.
Gresh moved to second in the leaderboard to 26 votes despite only receiving votes in 4 games. Ross stays in third with 23 votes.

Jack Lonie (STK)
Jack Billings (STK)
Hunter Clark (STK)
Josh Dunkley (WB)
Jade Gresham (STK)
Easton Wood (WB)
Jake Carlisle (STK)
Bailey Dale (WB)

Lol Marshall no votes. That is insane.

One game plan difference I noticed watching a replay of the first quarter, all year we've played Marshall a kick behind play when we have it inside 50. From the first quarter yesterday he rucked inside 50 when he was on and contested at stoppages.

Nice Aussie, where is that, south? Looks nice, France seems to have too many people if the beach is good or cold , grey and empty.
North West. If I was clever, I would have put my son's Saints cap in the shot too. An hour from my house, but my mother in law lives 50m from this beach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North West. If I was clever, I would have put my son's Saints cap in the shot too. An hour from my house, but my mother in law lives 50m from this beach.

Is that Brittany? We stayed at Perros Guerec and St Malo, it's beautiful coast but so cold compared to Aussie beaches. A lot better than Cornwall in summer though, you could get hypothermia on a hot day there.

Mate are your eyes ok?
what did the very next sentence say after that quote you selectively took?

Here it is in full:

"And no- just wishing/hoping/expecting guys like clark, acres etc etc to step up wont fill the hole we have.

We are so far behind the genuine finals teams that we need those guys to progress AND more A graders from outside too."

The dogs midfield is not one of the games best.

They have the opposite problem to us- they have multiple stars but relatively poor depth.

We have no stars but good depth.

Ps I've been banging the 'jake isn't a good one on one defender drum' on here for a long time since before he did his back

Who would you consider to be one of the games best midfield then? Geelong? Brisbane? Collingwood? Richmond?

I think you mean they have a great midfield but poor key position players.

Ps What an odd thing to brag about.

I think over time these restrictions on runners will help coaches loosen their vice like grip which has turned the game into chess.

I think this an excellent point and I really hope the AFL doesn’t buckle to the demands of the coaches to increase the time the runners can come on.

It has made it much more aesthetically pleasing as a spectacle without pink people running onto the field at will.

But more importantly, it means the coaches cannot control absolutely everything happening on field and the players will need to be responsible for making judgements and it will also free them up a lot. Of course, it’s also going to need very good on field leadership, but that’s how it should be.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back